Fermanagh v Armagh Brewster Pk Sat 19th May 7:00pm

Started by illdecide, May 10, 2018, 09:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan Tremblay

I know of Armagh players playing club matches last weekend and their still a part of the panel as far as I'm aware so not sure how is treating them bad??
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

naka

Quote from: haranguerer on May 16, 2018, 01:54:09 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on May 16, 2018, 01:34:53 PM
Mackers/BCB. I feel it is harsh to lay all the blame at McGeeney's door even though he does bear some responsibility. Knowing ones involved with other counties McGeeney is actually more flexible than some inter county managers. Players also did play 3 of 4 club games in April and a few picked up injuries which will keep them out of the Fermanagh game.
The club draw for me was a bit of a farce as some clubs took it seriously and others just done enough to meet a quota. The draw was to build a training centre for the county teams. It will be quite a while before we know if building such a thing in Portadown is a good idea.
The biggest thing for me seems to be the amount of money wasted on development squads. This is probably a countrywide problem. I would prefer money spent on improving coaching in schools and clubs.

grugan and rafferty for a start,
for what its worth I think the club draw was a good idea because after you sold an agreed number you kept the majority of the money yourself , my own club put it as part of an enhanced dd scheme and it worked.
mc geeney gets bad press and I have my issues over his management but the players were pushing for the camp also and it was a carrot to get them buying into the promotion chase, sometimes its just easier to blame him.

]

mackers

Mackers/BCB. I feel it is harsh to lay all the blame at McGeeney's door even though he does bear some responsibility. Knowing ones involved with other counties McGeeney is actually more flexible than some inter county managers. Players also did play 3 of 4 club games in April and a few picked up injuries which will keep them out of the Fermanagh game.
The club draw for me was a bit of a farce as some clubs took it seriously and others just done enough to meet a quota. The draw was to build a training centre for the county teams. It will be quite a while before we know if building such a thing in Portadown is a good idea.
The biggest thing for me seems to be the amount of money wasted on development squads. This is probably a countrywide problem. I would prefer money spent on improving coaching in schools and clubs.
I don't think that McGeeney deserves credit for "allowing" the players to play three games for their clubs in April when Croke Park has made the rule that they should have played all four!  Hence our potential punishment of having our first league game reversed for his obvious flouting of GAA rules.  This is something that may come back to bite him next year especially if we only have three home games (reduced to two) depending on the draw.  Yes there were players who got injured playing for their clubs but more players have been injured in county training in the recent past that have been injured playing for their clubs.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

haranguerer

Quote from: naka on May 16, 2018, 02:55:12 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 16, 2018, 01:54:09 PM

grugan and rafferty for a start,
for what its worth I think the club draw was a good idea because after you sold an agreed number you kept the majority of the money yourself , my own club put it as part of an enhanced dd scheme and it worked.
mc geeney gets bad press and I have my issues over his management but the players were pushing for the camp also and it was a carrot to get them buying into the promotion chase, sometimes its just easier to blame him.

This Grugan and Rafferty?

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2018/04/27/news/armagh-forwards-ethan-rafferty-and-rory-grugan-expected-to-be-fit-for-ulster-championship-showdown-against-fermanagh-1315242/

DuffleKing

Quote from: mackers on May 16, 2018, 04:23:59 PM
I don't think that McGeeney deserves credit for "allowing" the players to play three games for their clubs in April when Croke Park has made the rule that they should have played all four!  Hence our potential punishment of having our first league game reversed for his obvious flouting of GAA rules.  This is something that may come back to bite him next year especially if we only have three home games (reduced to two) depending on the draw.  Yes there were players who got injured playing for their clubs but more players have been injured in county training in the recent past that have been injured playing for their clubs.

It's not a rule. It was a guide or recommendation - which shows you how serious Croke Park were about it, i.e. it was a PR exercise. Armagh's county player access for clubs this April was about average in national terms and about the same as every other April.

tonto1888

Losing the home game is not for players missing club games in April, it's for the training camp

mackers

I just don't want us to turn into Derry where the club v county thing is prevalent.  I may have misread the situation regarding where we broke the rules to lead to the overturning of our first home league game but I'm aware of a bit more ambivalence to the county team than before.  Some of Geezer's attitude towards the clubs is concerning.  He is on record as saying that if you are picked for the county you should not have to play club football (like rugby).  While we're on the subject, I was also annoyed at an article in the Irish News where Davy Wilson was firing shots at clubs for overstretching the county minor lads because some of them were still playing u16 football.  We have a lad in our club who was on the county panel and we specifically told him that we didn't want to see him at training or challenge matches.  We felt we were looking after the lad as he had a very serious injury two years ago and he's doing exams this year.  The county management had him running to Armagh to them FOUR days a week.  I couldn't believe my eyes when one of our county minor managers starting criticising clubs for playing lads at both u16 and minor levels!!
The county management at all levels and the clubs need to work together for the betterment of all our players, not work against each other.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

FermGael

Fermanagh team named

1. P Cadden
2. K Connor
3. C Cullen
4. M Jones
5. B.Mulrone
6. J McMahon
7. L Cullen
8. E Donnelly
9. R Jones
10.P McCusker
11.D McCusker
12.A Breen
13.S Quigley
14.C Jones
15.S Quigley

Fermanagh going for a very mobile team 1-12.
Plenty of pace and a very big full forward line.
The Armagh defence can expect a few high balls.
It's not to often Fermanagh have had a sub of Tomas Corrigan's class sitting on the bench.
Add to that his brother Ruairi as well as Danny Teague .
We are certainly alot stronger from the bench than we have been for a while.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

redzone

Can see Corrigan starting in the full forward line. Il tell u that's a damn strong team. Wouldn't be surprised if Fermanagh make it to an ulster final, then anything could happen

yellowcard

Quote from: redzone on May 17, 2018, 10:14:07 PM
Can see Corrigan starting in the full forward line. Il tell u that's a damn strong team. Wouldn't be surprised if Fermanagh make it to an ulster final, then anything could happen

You have seen the draw, right? This match is a contest to see who gets pulverised by either Tyrone or Monaghan. I don't think Fermanagh will get over Saturday never mind make an Ulster final.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: yellowcard on May 17, 2018, 11:52:40 PM

You have seen the draw, right? This match is a contest to see who gets pulverised by either Tyrone or Monaghan. I don't think Fermanagh will get over Saturday never mind make an Ulster final.
Same was said last year before the Down v Armagh match and Down after their win v Armagh knocked Monaghan out of the Ulster championship.

Captain Obvious

I'll be shocked if Corrigan doesn't start.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 17, 2018, 11:59:14 PM

Same was said last year before the Down v Armagh match and Down after their win v Armagh knocked Monaghan out of the Ulster championship.

Dont think Fermanagh would beat Tyrone but could cause a shock against Monaghan!!
Firstly though get over Armangh which I think they will!!
Watched the team being named last night on Gaelic Weekly facebook live, was a good job and great idea!!

redzone

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on May 18, 2018, 09:10:13 AM

Dont think Fermanagh would beat Tyrone but could cause a shock against Monaghan!!
Watched the team being named last night on Gaelic Weekly facebook live, was a good job and great idea!!
Home advantage should swing it for Fermanagh on Saturday, then it would be donegal in omagh. Who else but Gallagher to take donegal down. They would be massive underdogs in the final but that would suit them right. That's what makes them dangerous. Clones would be a sea of green and white, and having left the last final behind them this bunch can go down in history.

EDIT: They will probably shit the togs like they usually do

illdecide

Quote from: redzone on May 18, 2018, 10:23:42 AM
Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on May 18, 2018, 09:10:13 AM

Home advantage should swing it for Fermanagh on Saturday, then it would be donegal in omagh. Who else but Gallagher to take donegal down. They would be massive underdogs in the final but that would suit them right. That's what makes them dangerous. Clones would be a sea of green and white, and having left the last final behind them this bunch can go down in history.

EDIT: They will probably shit the togs like they usually do

I like you optimism...you do know the winners play either Tyrone or Monaghan and then more than likely Donegal in the final. Stay positive pal.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch