Seanad Éireann

Started by westmayo, June 28, 2007, 12:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westmayo

I was reading John Waters column in the Times during the week when he was going on about the Seanad elections and how even though he's a college graduate he doesn't get a vote in the elction. It's about time that the vote was opened up to all College graduates (if that's the way they are going to keep it, along with the other panels) rather than just those with degrees from NUI's and TCD. Because it's saying that those from DCU, UL and all the IT'S in the country aren't at the same level as the NUI's and TCD

Fear ón Srath Bán

The whole structure of the second house needs to be reviewed, and dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st Century. It's an embarrassment of an anachronism, of which the third level voting rights (or lack thereof) is a primary example.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fishead_Sam

Agreed WestMayo, Im an NUIGalway graduate with a vote, I will as always be exercising my vote, but to be honest I look @ the list and I recognise about 6 or 7 of them, basically the 3 sitting, the FG'r, the Mayoman (who I am to understand has different views to be politicaly), Patrick Hillerys son & 1 or 2 others.

I really find it unfair that I should get a vote and other graduates do not. I heard someone suggest recently on Primetime I think (don't care what allegience it was a good idea) All citizens with a vote register on a particular panel, and then can vote on the area they feel most informed, to me honest I would rather be voting on an Industry, Trade or even Political Ethics related panel (sorry I don't know the names of the panels for these areas) than the education one. I know several people I really want to vote for but I can't because my vote is restricted to a panel I am not as interested in. But at least I have a vote.

I think the vote for the Seanad need to be expanded.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Has anyone heard anymore about SF putting Pearse Doherty forward?
Tbc....

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 28, 2007, 01:01:11 PM
Has anyone heard anymore about SF putting Pearse Doherty forward?

I have the polling card at home Gaoth Dobhair Abu will tell ya later if he on it or not.

Fishead_Sam

Just copped that Doherty may be on a different panel.

But heres the education panel candidates as listed on the ballot paper I have here.

Bresnihan Valerie
Brodbin Shane
Connolly Mark
Crowley Liam
Garavan Mark
Healy Paddy
Hillery John
Hogan Martin
Kennedy John
Lowe Martina
Mac Carthaigh Daithi
Monahan Oonagh
Mullern Ronan
O'Callaghan Bernie
O'Gogain Liam
O'Riordan Mary
O'Shea Farren Linda
O'Sullivan Bernadine
O'Toole Joe
Philips Susan
Price Brendan
Quinn Fergal
Ryan Brendan
Sullivan Daniel

Donagh

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on June 28, 2007, 10:44:30 PM
Just copped that Doherty may be on a different panel.

Was thinking that earlier Sam but wasn't 100% about the way it worked. He's on the agriculture panel.

Shamrock Shore

I don't have a degree yet I have a professional qualification equivalent to a degree that is damn harder to get than a 2.2 Arts in YuckyDee.

Why don't I have a Seanad vote as opposed to Mr 2.2?

It's a shite system that needs to be made redundant or totally reformed.

/endrant

Dinny Breen

I have a vote in this bloody thing and won't be using it as is my democratic right, the amount of spam mail one receives regarding this is unnatural worse than the general election...
#newbridgeornowhere

Farrandeelin

How are you put on each panel? How come Sam, you're on the educational panel yet and others are on the agricultural panel etc???  ???
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Owenmoresider

The other panels such as Agricultural, Cultural, Industrial etc., bar the NUI/TCD panels, are voted for by the TD's and Councillors, possibly outgoing Senators too. Involves a lot of travelling for those panels in order to secure votes.

Six Sligo candidates and three from Leitrim running for the Seanad FWIW.

Kerry Mike

I have my qualifications from the University of Life yet have no vote either. Its discrimination and a load of old shite.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Donagh

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2007, 11:40:17 PM
I have a vote in this bloody thing and won't be using it as is my democratic right, the amount of spam mail one receives regarding this is unnatural worse than the general election...

Well at least you get them. I was informed by an opinion piece in the Irish News the other day, that as a political contributor to my union I was entitled to a vote in the Brit Labour Party Deputy vote. I never got any info and neither did the other 93% of the others entitled to vote. Now we have devolved government, couldn't give a f**k, so will be cancelling that contribution very soon.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 28, 2007, 11:43:36 PM
How are you put on each panel? How come Sam, you're on the educational panel yet and others are on the agricultural panel etc???  ???

Im not on the panel, I have a vote for members on the education panel. I have the vote based on a discriminatory bases of me having a Degree from NUIGalway, those who went to UCC, UCD, Trinity & I think Maynooth have it too, but someone who has not qualified yet, or went to GMIT, DCU or UL (I think) or example can't, its bull really, its because my old Uni was on the books at the formation of the state. I get the vote because it is believed I have a good insight on Irish education (I don't believe I do) because I don't know about it I will vote along party lines (thats of for the Dail but not the reason for the Seanad) I would rather have a vote on an issue I feel I have more to offer & interest, ethics in politics, trade, commerce (not the correct names of the other panels I know) but at least I feel I would have more to offer.

All Citizens in my opinion should be able to put them self on a panel of voters based on their interest or expertise (only one panel mind) they should be encouraged to vote in the area they have a passion for, this would in my opinion minimise party bais, I am a Fine Gaeler, but, maybe on a particular issue Im interested in an Independent, FF, Lab or God forbid an SF may be more aggreable to me position, it should not have the same party allegience, so SFs vote for FG or FF, FF for Lab or FG etc. if they feel but vote along party lines for the Dail if they feel.