Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 16, 2018, 02:39:07 PM
Are Liverpool really any nearer to winning the league than United? United are criticised by nearly every pundit yet if they win their game in hand they'll be 4 points clear of Liverpool. Their squad has very little depth and will likely loose Can this summer to make matters worse. If any of the front 3 got injured they'd be in big trouble. They probably need 4 or 5 quality players to win a title and not convinced they'll get them this summer. Win the CL and Klopp will get a free ride for a few years though and probably deservedly so.

Only time will tell but I do think there's a lot more to come from United. We've tended to have some very good halfs of football this season against the top teams in the league which is an improvement on last season. I think we've got huge issues at fullback, they've both got slower as the season has gone on; Replace them and we'll see a difference. We need a centre half and a centre mid too, ideally we need a right sided attacking player but don't see one coming in unless Martial is sold.

No in my opinion. I think Utd at 6-1 and Chelsea at 12-1 for next season are decent bets at this point because I fully expect both teams to spend significantly more than Liverpool in the summer. Chelsea will most likely have a new manager as well.

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on April 16, 2018, 02:28:49 PM
Possibly VVD!! Seriously?? Which City CB's are better than VVD??

On the VVD point, I would have a fit Kompany as the best center back in the league. Probably would have VVD beside him personally but I am sure plenty of people would argue for Stones.

AZOffaly

Stones?? Never was a man more appropriately named.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: TabClear on April 16, 2018, 02:51:34 PM
Are Liverpool really any nearer to winning the league than United? United are criticised by nearly every pundit yet if they win their game in hand they'll be 4 points clear of Liverpool. Their squad has very little depth and will likely loose Can this summer to make matters worse. If any of the front 3 got injured they'd be in big trouble. They probably need 4 or 5 quality players to win a title and not convinced they'll get them this summer. Win the CL and Klopp will get a free ride for a few years though and probably deservedly so.

Only time will tell but I do think there's a lot more to come from United. We've tended to have some very good halfs of football this season against the top teams in the league which is an improvement on last season. I think we've got huge issues at fullback, they've both got slower as the season has gone on; Replace them and we'll see a difference. We need a centre half and a centre mid too, ideally we need a right sided attacking player but don't see one coming in unless Martial is sold.

No in my opinion. I think Utd at 6-1 and Chelsea at 12-1 for next season are decent bets at this point because I fully expect both teams to spend significantly more than Liverpool in the summer. Chelsea will most likely have a new manager as well.

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on April 16, 2018, 02:28:49 PM
Possibly VVD!! Seriously?? Which City CB's are better than VVD??

On the VVD point, I would have a fit Kompany as the best center back in the league. Probably would have VVD beside him personally but I am sure plenty of people would argue for Stones.

Kompany is miles away from the player he was in 11/12 when they won their first league, even at the last world cup he was average enough. I know a couple of city mates of mine who are adamant on that too, as for Stones I just don't think he's a very good defender. VVD is a better player than both of them.

magpie seanie

With the greatest respect though Liverpool have not won the league in almost 30 years and are operating off a much lower budget. They haven't spent near the money United have. To be no closer to winning the league than them must be classed as a failure. I don't mean any disrespect to Liverpool in that by the way....and they may indeed win a league before United do. Especially if there's no managerial changes in wither club.

Any names of players who'd improve United?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 16, 2018, 03:27:20 PM

With the greatest respect though Liverpool have not won the league in almost 30 years and are operating off a much lower budget. They haven't spent near the money United have. To be no closer to winning the league than them must be classed as a failure. I don't mean any disrespect to Liverpool in that by the way....and they may indeed win a league before United do. Especially if there's no managerial changes in wither club.

Fullback wise I don't know as I've not watched enough football around Europe, used to watch a lot more but lost interest the last few years; Danny Rose would but he's always got injury problems. Alderweireld at centre half would certainly improve United, best centre half in the league the previous 2 seasons. I could reel off a load of centre mids but getting them out of the likes of Real Madrid & PSG is going to be impossible. Saul at Atletico Madrid is a brilliant player anytime I've seen him but Atletico seem to do a great job of keeping the Spanish lads.

Milltown Row2

Neither did Leicester...

Utd (Jose) needs to assess his best team and get everyone fit, the season has been a disaster and will be compounded even further, next week against Spurs.. the 30 minutes I watched at the weekend was dreadful, not unlike a lot of games this season. Its got that bad now my dad doesnt bother to watch them live, prefering match of the day, he's been watching them since the mid 50's and its been too many poor games that have slipped away, negitive play also! He prefers the highlights (limited) rather the whole game..

There is a league winning team there, maybe MS is right but I can't see Klopp coming to Utd TBH and he's about the best out there along with Pep
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

I really hope the chat about Willian turns out to be just that.

I would take Alderweireld in a heart beat, paid him with any of them who are still there and I think it improves the team straight away.

I can see Shaw heading for the exit, so room for Young Valencia and AN Other to come in.

Armamike

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 16, 2018, 12:30:55 PM
Form and tactics count for a lot (and tactics have a direct impact on form). This time last year everyone would have wanted a handful of Chelsea players in their side. The year before a few Leicester lads. Everyone would love a few city players now....

Yes, take your point. A few months back i'd probably have had a very different view around the respective backlines and the likes of Matic in midfield.   
That's just, like your opinion man.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 16, 2018, 03:43:07 PM

Neither did Leicester...

Utd (Jose) needs to assess his best team and get everyone fit, the season has been a disaster and will be compounded even further, next week against Spurs.. the 30 minutes I watched at the weekend was dreadful, not unlike a lot of games this season. Its got that bad now my dad doesnt bother to watch them live, prefering match of the day, he's been watching them since the mid 50's and its been too many poor games that have slipped away, negitive play also! He prefers the highlights (limited) rather the whole game..

There is a league winning team there, maybe MS is right but I can't see Klopp coming to Utd TBH and he's about the best out there along with Pep
A timely reminder where Manchester United have come from.

2013/14 7th
2014/15 4th
2015/16 5th
2016/17 6th

Manchester United currently second in the table with a game in hand and with five games to play already have more points secured than any of the last 4 seasons. If they improve further next season they should challenge for the title.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 16, 2018, 04:05:05 PM

Neither did Leicester...

2013/14 7th
2014/15 4th
2015/16 5th
2016/17 6th

Manchester United currently second in the table with a game in hand and with five games to play already have more points secured than any of the last 4 seasons. If they improve further next season they should challenge for the title.

I was hoping for the second season Improvement that good managers generally bring, albeit City have blown everyone away they have underperformed to an extent and Bristol city and Sevilla have put Utd out of 2 cup competitions. Will all be forgiven should Utd win the FA Cup and stay second?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GJL

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 16, 2018, 04:14:15 PM

Neither did Leicester...

2013/14 7th
2014/15 4th
2015/16 5th
2016/17 6th

I was hoping for the second season Improvement that good managers generally bring, albeit City have blown everyone away they have underperformed to an extent and Bristol city and Sevilla have put Utd out of 2 cup competitions. Will all be forgiven should Utd win the FA Cup and stay second?

2nd and an FA cup win would have to be considered a decent season given the last few. All be it by playing football that is not that pleasing to the eye.

Captain Obvious

Neither did Leicester...

2013/14 7th
2014/15 4th
2015/16 5th
2016/17 6th

Second season has brought improvement even though that isn't enough for some supporters. Think of Arsenal right now who won't be finishing in the top 4 and need to win the Europa league to reach next seasons Champions league, that's where Manchester United were this time last season.

A FA Cup win would make up for the cup upset against Bristol City. Losing to Sevilla was a season low point however Bayern Munich would have knocked them out in the next round anyway.

Milltown Row2

Possibly, but would have liked to have seen Utd take on Bayern, who are no great shakes, they aint the Bayern of old

Orchard park

Quote from: GJL on April 16, 2018, 04:25:20 PM

Neither did Leicester...

2013/14 7th
2014/15 4th
2015/16 5th
2016/17 6th

2nd and an FA cup win would have to be considered a decent season given the last few. All be it by playing football that is not that pleasing to the eye.

very little soccer at club or national level is in any way pleasing to the eye for a long long time

gawa316

Quote from: snoopdog on April 16, 2018, 02:09:52 PM

Don't think we care about your opinion. Go back to your Scouse thread.

It seems quite a few do care