Can Anyone Explain Why the Cost of the New Children's Hospital Has Ballooned?

Started by IolarCoisCuain, January 20, 2019, 07:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Take your pick. Building in a difficult site. Underpriced tenders. Specification changes on award of contract. Inflation. Same as many a job i seen except this is on a very large scale. Too many projects undercosted to get business case approval. Strip the life outa the spec to met that unrealistic build cost. Then its a fight all the way to built the damn thing properly to a modern spec. Been alot less on a green field site! The UUJ building in Belfast lost millions b4 they even got out of the ground! As if trial holes didnt show how bad the ground was. Then a farce of 1 contractor doing ground work and another the actual build. The mind boggles on that cluster f**k up here.

macdanger2

Surely a better location for this would have been a greenfield site either around Tallaght or further out towards say Naas instead of trying to build in such a congested location? Even now, they could change location if it wasn't for political reasons.

highorlow

Last nights Prime Time shed a lot of light on the over run.

They had 3d footage of the inside of the place, Christ they have more circular walls inside and the atrium and lobbies and all else are way over the top. Obviously no one shouted stop on the design, pure vanity. A sick kid and their family won't have much care on the "state of the art" architecture as long as the kid gets cured. It's not a tourist attraction we are building. Whole thing is baffling.

Something nobody has raised yet (not that I've heard in any case) is what the Contract terms were for the Architects / Lead Designers? I'd be interested to see if the designers Contract was fixed price or a percentage of the so called Guaranteed Maximum Price? If it's the latter then they should be brought to account as this extravagant over design has led in part to the cost over run.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: highorlow on March 06, 2019, 11:01:33 AM
They had 3d footage of the inside of the place, Christ they have more circular walls inside and the atrium and lobbies and all else are way over the top. Obviously no one shouted stop on the design, pure vanity. A sick kid and their family won't have much care on the "state of the art" architecture as long as the kid gets cured. It's not a tourist attraction we are building. Whole thing is baffling.

Sure that is the case in most bloody public buildings these days.

All style, then no money for substance.

i usse an speelchekor

gallsman

I'd argue the exact opposite for a children's hospital. Look and feel of the place is massively important.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: gallsman on March 06, 2019, 03:42:31 PM
I'd argue the exact opposite for a children's hospital. Look and feel of the place is massively important.

The place existing and being functional would rank higher.

Morale ain't much use if yer dead.
i usse an speelchekor

highorlow

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2019/0320/1037457-childrens-hospital/

2 to 3 weeks before this famous report is completed.

This is also disappointing;

QuoteMr Barry, who has yet to be formally appointed by Government, has indicated he does not think there is much scope for making savings on the cost of the project.

Its probably too late to square up the building and remove all those oval shapes whereby millions would be saved, likely that planning would have to be re-submitted.

http://www.newchildrenshospital.ie/design-vision/video/

Looks more like a tourist attraction or 5 star hotel rather than a hospital. Architects lost the run of themselves.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go