Poll

Which location in Ireland is in the most desperate need of having a hose stuck in it and given a massive enema?

Bundoran (Co. Donegal)
8 (6.8%)
Castlederg (Co. Tyrone)
9 (7.6%)
Coalisland (Co. Tyrone)
8 (6.8%)
Dervock & Mosside (Co. Antrim)
17 (14.4%)
"The area between Connolly Station & Croke Park" (Dublin City)
18 (15.3%)
Kilkeel (Co. Down)
29 (24.6%)
Portadown (Co. Armagh)
22 (18.6%)
Rathfriland (Co. Down)
7 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Voting closed: April 19, 2018, 07:48:30 AM

Author Topic: **WINNER - KILKEEL!** Biggest Sh*thole in Ireland (2018 Edition)  (Read 10697 times)

Syferus

• View Profile
Re: Biggest Sh*thole in Ireland (2018 Edition)
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 08:15:24 PM »
What a stupid, negative idea for a thread.

red hander

• Masters of the dark arts since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 08:32:32 PM »
Roscommon is an awful kip

JPGJOHNNYG

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2018, 08:35:24 PM »
Latharna - does it even need an explanation. The old line sums it up best bit about it is the ferry out of it.

macdanger2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 08:55:05 PM »
Have to agree with AZOffaly, I have been in Limerick several times recently and it is definitely going the right way. Stayed at the Strand hotel last weekend for two nights when down for the Con Kirby greyhound competition.

Having said that I was extremely disappointed with Tipperary Town. Never saw a town with such poor roads through it, potholes everywhere, and run down buildings that haven't been painted in years. Expected it to be a bit classier tbh.

Limerick has definitely improved but I was there last summer and it's still way behind the other big cities imo.

Harold Disgracey

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2018, 09:09:30 PM »
Lurgan is an awful kip.

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2018, 09:16:50 PM »
Don't get the hate for Granard, seems a typical midland town. I'd see Moate as much more depressing. "The Derg" was always a shithole.
Don't mind Clones either, small dying border towns are ten a penny.

We could actually do a border town thread on its on. Swadlinbar, Pettigo, Killtyclougher, Derrygonnelly, all towns that a strong wind would toss.

The most sensible answer was the remark that a meteorite could wipe Lurgan, Portadown and Craigavon off the face of the planet and the world would be a better place. A piss-stain on the face of Ireland.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

spuds

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2018, 09:20:02 PM »
Don't get the hate for Granard, seems a typical midland town. I'd see Moate as much more depressing. "The Derg" was always a shithole.
Don't mind Clones either, small dying border towns are ten a penny.

We could actually do a border town thread on its on. Swadlinbar, Pettigo, Killtyclougher, Derrygonnelly, all towns that a strong wind would toss.

The most sensible answer was the remark that a meteorite could wipe Lurgan, Portadown and Craigavon off the face of the planet and the world would be a better place. A piss-stain on the face of Ireland.
A piss stain is surely an upgrade on a shithole.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
 John Hubbard

The Iceman

• Here comes the Pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2018, 09:22:16 PM »
We should print this off and send it to Tourism Ireland. How about a positive thread or comment lads.... flip me.
I've travelled and lived all over the world and I'll tell you Ireland is a beautiful country. Even these so called "shithole" towns have great things going on and great people, great history, great significance in the history and story of the country.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2018, 09:24:15 PM »
Great read about Fintona. I was in & about Kilkeel on a weekly basis for a couple of years and I found it a strange place, I used to love talking to the locals to try and get a feel for the place. I think the town & surrounding area is pretty much a 50/50 split in religious terms but it does give off that Loyalist shithole vibe. IIRC the area near the centre of town that's most bedecked with Flegs is very close to the Loyalist areas down beside Kilkeel HS and probably isn't representative of the town/area as a whole - but no doubt there's a hardcore Loyalist element that scares the shit out of the local politicians, police etc... who let them get away with it

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2018, 09:27:57 PM »
We should print this off and send it to Tourism Ireland. How about a positive thread or comment lads.... flip me.
I've travelled and lived all over the world and I'll tell you Ireland is a beautiful country. Even these so called "shithole" towns have great things going on and great people, great history, great significance in the history and story of the country.

snowflake.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

mouview

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2018, 09:39:35 PM »
In Athlone, they mostly come out at night. Mostly.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2018, 09:40:57 PM »
It would be very hard to look past Larne.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2018, 09:44:50 PM »

Fintona had real character when they had the horse tram.
Even Larne has a ferry.

And the point is well made about litter on the road, my car is a bit of a tip because I don't throw stuff out the window.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

michaelg

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2018, 09:55:33 PM »
It would be very hard to look past Larne.
Is Larne really that bad?  Just seems like an easy option in threads like this.  No worse than other provincial towns imo.  Was there relatively recently and didn't seemed to be that many vacant retails outlets etc.  What do people expect from a small town?

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2018, 09:58:51 PM »
It isn't great.

It and portadown do seem to get mentioned a lot in these things.