Adam Johnson court case

Started by Longshanks, February 12, 2016, 01:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 12, 2016, 06:29:59 PM
He was suspended for a while last season when the case was first brought up. Sunderland terminated his contract yesterday.

Which was the most half-hearted concession to public opinion you're likely to ever see.

rodney trotter

She had only turned 15 a month before the incidents.

macdanger2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 12, 2016, 06:26:37 PM
He was sacked when he admitted the charge of grooming the girl.

Ah, that makes sense.

Seems like Sunderland acted fairly properly here

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 12, 2016, 06:51:37 PM

Ah, that makes sense.

Playing a man nearly thirty who the state thought groomed a 15 year-old? Yeeeeeeah..

seafoid

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 12, 2016, 06:24:42 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 12, 2016, 06:22:42 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 12, 2016, 06:13:56 PM
If he was a player in any major US sport he'd have been fired and erased from his team's history the moment the state filed charges. That Sunderland kept him and played him as recently as last weekend speaks volumes about how blinkered they and football in general is to how this plays to everyone else looking in. Looks disgusting to be frank.

He was an average at best player which makes it more ridiculous that he wasn't gone the moment this stuff came to light, they didn't even have a functional reason to keep him nevermind a moral one.

How could they sack him? Sure he was not guilty of anything til yesterday. Suspended him maybe.

Has he been found guilty yet?

He should have been suspended the minute charges were being pressed by the police. And sacked if he's found guilty, reinstated if he's not
They could only drop him once he pleaded guilty. If he was innocent they would have to stand by him.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on February 12, 2016, 08:23:07 PM

Ah, that makes sense.

Playing a man nearly thirty who the state thought groomed a 15 year-old? Yeeeeeeah..

The presumption of innocence remains regardless of the supposed crime

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 12, 2016, 08:44:57 PM

Ah, that makes sense.

You're equating legal innocence with what a limited company can do with their employees when they bring their organisation into disrepute. The contracts players sign give the employer a lot of leeway to suspended or void their contracts in situations like this. I most no-athletes who are also professionals wouldn't be let set foot inside work until something like this is resolved, that is unless they got rid immediately which is also a very likely outcome.

This is not how things work in the States and for once they've got exactly the right idea.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Syferus on February 12, 2016, 11:17:02 PM

Ah, that makes sense.

You're equating legal innocence with what a limited company can do with their employees when they bring their organisation into disrepute. The contracts players sign give the employer a lot of leeway to suspended or void their contracts in situations like this. I most no-athletes who are also professionals wouldn't be let set foot inside work until something like this is resolved, that is unless they got rid immediately which is also a very likely outcome.

This is not how things work in the States and for once they've got exactly the right idea.

Are you really this dense?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 12, 2016, 11:54:02 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 12, 2016, 11:17:02 PM

Ah, that makes sense.

Are you really this dense?

Harsh.

Is a fair opinion although I kinda disagree with it. However I can see the logic in the argument.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ONeill

I think we need Stew's opinion on this.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Ray Rice. Adrian Peterson.

Sacked immediately by their teams?! Spoofer of the highest order.

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on February 13, 2016, 02:15:54 PM

In fairness I wouldn't equate what Peterson did with Johnson. That said I wouldn't think you could sack him as it went through the courts but they could have suspended him.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2016, 03:14:48 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 13, 2016, 02:15:54 PM

In fairness I wouldn't equate what Peterson did with Johnson. That said I wouldn't think you could sack him as it went through the courts but they could have suspended him.

If you try to claim that American sports will ditch you at the first sign of trouble that could pose problems for the image of the team/club/franchise, it's a valid comparison.