Sinead O'Connor

Started by Shamrock Shore, September 10, 2013, 12:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: orangeman on September 10, 2013, 01:01:14 PM
She's a genius. A musical legend.

She does and says crazy stuff but she's not mad.
Good voice but legend....I don't think so. On the madness scale at least 100.

Tubberman

Quote from: johnneycool on September 11, 2013, 11:56:08 AM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on September 10, 2013, 09:53:09 PM
Quote from: Orior on September 10, 2013, 01:55:58 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on September 10, 2013, 01:21:21 PM
QuoteShe's a genius. A musical legend.

Would have to disagree with you there, her musical legacy is not one which would get her close to any such overused legendary status imo.

Agreed. Her one big hit, was written by Prince

Disagreed. Listen to any of her covers or songs on YouTube, and the woman is a musical genius. 'Foggy Dew' with the Chieftains is a stand out example. No female alive could sing that as uniquely as she does.
She also shone a light on different genres of Irish music at a time when most could not see past U2.
I think it is safe to say that the Cranberries for one would not have the fame they had if it wasn't for her.
Feel sorry for her - her voice and influence will be appreciated when she is no more.

Her version of the Foggy Dew with the Chieftains is the best I've heard to date, fantastic voice irrespective of anything else about her.

Yeah, it's a fantastic version, but I don't think that makes her a musical genius. She sang the song (and did it very well), but I'm sure the musical arrangement etc was done by The Chieftains themselves, not Sinéad.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Asal Mor

It seems pretty irresponsible on the tattooist's part. I'm in favor of free choice on most things, but I don't think someone should be allowed to get a tattoo on their face without undergoing psychological (or is it psychiatric? I don't know the difference) evaluation first. I'd be surprised if she doesn't end up regretting this for the rest of her life.

Agree with BBB that her version of "The Foggy Dew" with the Chieftains is amazing.

JUst retired

The wheel is still turning,but the hamster is dead I`m afraid. ;)

muppet

Quote from: JUst retired on September 11, 2013, 01:15:10 PM

Never heard that song.

Who wrote it, Cantona?
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on September 11, 2013, 01:40:49 PM
Quote from: JUst retired on September 11, 2013, 01:15:10 PM

Never heard that song.

Who wrote it, Cantona?

Not sure but I'd say he killed the hampster.

orangeman

Pop star Miley Cyrus has hit back at Sinead O'Connor, after the Irish singer warned her not to be exploited by the music business.

In a series of tweets, Cyrus mocked O'Connor, comparing her to US actress Amanda Bynes before alluding to O'Connor's mental health problems.

O'Connor responded with another open letter to the singer, accusing her of "irresponsible" behaviour.

The Irish singer told her to "remove her tweets immediately".

The tit-for-tat conversation began after Cyrus, 20, cited O'Connor's video Nothing Compares 2 U as an inspiration for her explicit Wrecking Ball video.

O'Connor, 46, said she was prompted to write, "in the spirit of motherliness" after "phone calls from various newspapers" who wanted the singer-songwriter to comment upon similarities between the two videos.

In the video for Nothing Compares 2 U, O'Connor sheds a single tear as she performs the Prince-penned break-up ballad.

Cyrus cries in the promo clip for Wrecking Ball, which shares similar lyrical themes to O'Connor's song. But the video also finds her licking a sledgehammer and swinging naked on a metal demolition ball.

Some scenes in the videos share a similar aesthetic
O'Connor said she was "extremely concerned" that those around Cyrus had led or encouraged her to believe "that it is in any way 'cool' to be naked and licking sledgehammers in your videos".

Cyrus, who found fame as the child star of Disney children's show Hannah Montana, has been criticised in recent weeks for her controversial performances, particularly at the MTV Video Music Awards in Brooklyn last month.

O'Connor continued: "The message you keep sending is that it's somehow cool to be prostituted.. it's so not cool Miley... it's dangerous.

"It is in fact the case that you will obscure your talent by allowing yourself to be pimped, whether it's the music business or yourself doing the pimping," added O'Connor.

Responding on Twitter, Cyrus wrote: "Top of the mornin to ya."

She added a screen shot of O'Connor's tweets from 2012 in which the Irish star, who has bi-polar disorder, referred to her own mental health problems, asking for Twitter followers to recommend a psychiatrist.

She compared the singer to former child actress Amanda Bynes, who is currently undergoing psychiatric treatment.

"I don't have time to write you an open letter cause I'm hosting & performing on SNL this week," Cyrus continued.

Cyrus prompted more controversy with her raunchy performance in Las Vegas this month
Cyrus also tweeted a picture of O'Connor ripping up a photograph of the pope, an infamous on-stage stunt by the singer, before asking her to "meet up and talk".

Responding to Cyrus in a third open letter, O'Connor said she would take legal action against her if she did not remove the tweets.

"You have posted today tweets of mine which are two years old, which were posted by me when I was unwell and seeking help so as to make them look like they are recent.

"In doing so you mock myself and Amanda Bynes for having suffered with mental health issues and for having sought help," said O'Connor.

She added: "It is most unbecoming of you to respond in such a fashion to someone who expressed care for you," O'Connor added.

heganboy

Sinead is a pretty special talent, even going back to Troy and Mandinka. Her cover of marbled halls is fantastic. However she is definitely a troubled individual as relates to her mental state. Don't have any issue with the open letter to the bould Miley, but seriously what reaction did she expect?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

orangeman

Sinéad O'Connor is rumoured to be making an appearance on tonight's Late Late Show to talk about her war of words with Miley Cyrus.

Earlier this week O'Connor wrote an open letter to Cyrus after the pop star said her new video was inspired by the famous promo clip for Nothing Compares 2U.

In the letter, which was published on her website, O'Connor offered Cyrus advice and warnings about the dangers of the music industry but the 20-year-old lashed out at O'Connor on Twitter, taunting her and actress Amanda Bynes about mental health issues.

O'Connor has since penned two more letters and threatened legal action unless Cyrus apologises for mocking her and Bynes.

Cold tea

Cryus is a pure w**ker akin to Bieber, a ballbag who got his entourage to carry him up the great wall of China.  Spoilt child syndrome's, why kids buy these asshole's records will remain a mystery to me.

Syferus

seafoid

Quote from: orangeman on October 04, 2013, 04:36:30 PM
Pop star Miley Cyrus has hit back at Sinead O'Connor, after the Irish singer warned her not to be exploited by the music business.

In a series of tweets, Cyrus mocked O'Connor, comparing her to US actress Amanda Bynes before alluding to O'Connor's mental health problems.

O'Connor responded with another open letter to the singer, accusing her of "irresponsible" behaviour.

The Irish singer told her to "remove her tweets immediately".

The tit-for-tat conversation began after Cyrus, 20, cited O'Connor's video Nothing Compares 2 U as an inspiration for her explicit Wrecking Ball video.

O'Connor, 46, said she was prompted to write, "in the spirit of motherliness" after "phone calls from various newspapers" who wanted the singer-songwriter to comment upon similarities between the two videos.

In the video for Nothing Compares 2 U, O'Connor sheds a single tear as she performs the Prince-penned break-up ballad.

Cyrus cries in the promo clip for Wrecking Ball, which shares similar lyrical themes to O'Connor's song. But the video also finds her licking a sledgehammer and swinging naked on a metal demolition ball.

Some scenes in the videos share a similar aesthetic
O'Connor said she was "extremely concerned" that those around Cyrus had led or encouraged her to believe "that it is in any way 'cool' to be naked and licking sledgehammers in your videos".

Cyrus, who found fame as the child star of Disney children's show Hannah Montana, has been criticised in recent weeks for her controversial performances, particularly at the MTV Video Music Awards in Brooklyn last month.

O'Connor continued: "The message you keep sending is that it's somehow cool to be prostituted.. it's so not cool Miley... it's dangerous.

"It is in fact the case that you will obscure your talent by allowing yourself to be pimped, whether it's the music business or yourself doing the pimping," added O'Connor.

Responding on Twitter, Cyrus wrote: "Top of the mornin to ya."

She added a screen shot of O'Connor's tweets from 2012 in which the Irish star, who has bi-polar disorder, referred to her own mental health problems, asking for Twitter followers to recommend a psychiatrist.

She compared the singer to former child actress Amanda Bynes, who is currently undergoing psychiatric treatment.

"I don't have time to write you an open letter cause I'm hosting & performing on SNL this week," Cyrus continued.

Cyrus prompted more controversy with her raunchy performance in Las Vegas this month
Cyrus also tweeted a picture of O'Connor ripping up a photograph of the pope, an infamous on-stage stunt by the singer, before asking her to "meet up and talk".

Responding to Cyrus in a third open letter, O'Connor said she would take legal action against her if she did not remove the tweets.

"You have posted today tweets of mine which are two years old, which were posted by me when I was unwell and seeking help so as to make them look like they are recent.

"In doing so you mock myself and Amanda Bynes for having suffered with mental health issues and for having sought help," said O'Connor.

She added: "It is most unbecoming of you to respond in such a fashion to someone who expressed care for you," O'Connor added.
Very poor form from Cyrus, playing the woman instead of the ball.
O'Connor is right about the music business taking advantage of young women. Cyrus will learn about it but she's not particularly
intelligent by the looks of things. I know it's only showbiz but she gives a very boring interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMk0R2qdTH4

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: seafoid on October 04, 2013, 06:18:40 PMCyrus will learn about it but she's not particularly intelligent by the looks of things.

That's where I beg to differ - she's been playing a blinder in the last month.

seafoid

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 04, 2013, 07:20:36 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 04, 2013, 06:18:40 PMCyrus will learn about it but she's not particularly intelligent by the looks of things.

Let's see how the album goes. I think she'll be forgotten soon enough. She doesn't have the smarts of a Gaga. Get your tits out for the lads is not enough in that business. 

turk

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 04, 2013, 07:20:36 PM

Agreed - Cyrus has made O'Connor look like a right mug here.