Bringing a car across the border

Started by 118cmal, May 10, 2011, 09:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

118cmal

Evening all,

I'm a nordie but I'm due to start a job in Dublin in a couple of months.  I'll be in dublin monday to friday and will be home most weekends.

Can I legally bring my car down each week and back up at the weekends?  Will I have to register it down south or anything?

Thanks in advance,
Mal

laoislad

Bloody foreigners taking all our jobs.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

118cmal

Quote from: laoislad on May 10, 2011, 09:48:04 PM
Bloody foreigners taking all our jobs.

I was expecting that response to be fair  :D

AZOffaly

Where's your primary place of residence and driving licence from? If it's NI, as I suspect, I doubt you'll have any issues.

118cmal

Yep AZ, its NI.

Is it fully legal to do this?

AZOffaly

As I said, can't see a problem. We have contractors from Holland and Belgium working with us, and they've both brought their cars over on the ferry. Still registered in NL and BEL, with no issues, and they are here over a year.

armaghniac

Fully legal
as long as you do return regularly and at Xmas etc and you don't let someone from the 26 counties drive the car
http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/temporary-exemption-foreign-registered.html

print this and have this to hand, as your average Guard may not be fully up to speed on the law as there are many chancers out there.

keep evidence of your continuing visit northwards,
e.g. keep receipts from shops, pubs etc, get a toll tag so that you can show you went up the M1 (this can work against you if you don't go often enough), even you buy petrol in the south buy it in Dundalk etc.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thebigfella

Check your insurance policy, you may not be allowed to use your car for getting to/from work and while your down during the week. I know prestige (I think) only allow 100 mile return trips for work across the border.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

118cmal

Thanks very much lads.

@Bigfella, never thought about the insurance, will check that out too.

muppet

Quote from: 118cmal on May 10, 2011, 09:54:57 PM
Yep AZ, its NI.

Is it fully legal to do this?

Fine for the car.

But you'll have to leave the Caravan up North.
MWWSI 2017