Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

jim i know your not thinking of this but i was with a guy last week who bought a log cabin kit from estonia...approx 1500sq/ft i know your thinking shite.. but its class looking and very easy to heat etc i think he said it cost him 60,000stg complete. the whole lot came on three trucks, windows, doors, kitchen.. everything. all he had to buy was his appliances.. he was in it in three weeks. i think these will catch on 8)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

balladmaker

For those who have completed a house already, what approx. % of the total build costs would you have reached when the house is sitting with the block work completed, roof on, windows in and house sealed? (No first fixes done yet etc.)

I realise this all depends on the level of finish in the house, but just after a ball park %.

johnneycool

Quote from: balladmaker on March 09, 2011, 11:01:58 AM
For those who have completed a house already, what approx. % of the total build costs would you have reached when the house is sitting with the block work completed, roof on, windows in and house sealed? (No first fixes done yet etc.)

I realise this all depends on the level of finish in the house, but just after a ball park %.

£50 to £75 per square foot was the norm pre boom where it all went a bit mad with plasterers taking home almost £1K a week, so I'd expect it to be back down around those levels.

Some materials are rising like hell in price in particular plastics such as insulation, guttering, sewage and the likes, might push the price up a bit.

Hilltresk

Would anyone have an example of a 'Grant of Easement' letter that I could tailor for my own situtation. I have done a google search to no avail. Nothing really suitable.

An Gaeilgoir

When i built 4 years ago, i was at 40% at that stage, i am in the game so the costs were quite low. People seems to foget its the fit out that costs the dosh.

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Hilltresk on March 09, 2011, 01:46:04 PM
Would anyone have an example of a 'Grant of Easement' letter that I could tailor for my own situtation. I have done a google search to no avail. Nothing really suitable.

I might have one on file. I'll take a look

Groucho

Quote from: lawnseed on March 08, 2011, 11:06:56 PM
jim i know your not thinking of this but i was with a guy last week who bought a log cabin kit from estonia...approx 1500sq/ft i know your thinking shite.. but its class looking and very easy to heat etc i think he said it cost him 60,000stg complete. the whole lot came on three trucks, windows, doors, kitchen.. everything. all he had to buy was his appliances.. he was in it in three weeks. i think these will catch on 8)

Where is the cabin and would he mind people coming to have a look.
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

Hilltresk

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on March 09, 2011, 06:44:58 PM
Quote from: Hilltresk on March 09, 2011, 01:46:04 PM

I might have one on file. I'll take a look

That would be great. Let me know if you have anything. Cheers.

lawnseed

jim checkout ristiku.com and hit the special offers 22500 euro. ;) you could have 6 of these for your budget. you could have a village :D  8)

mylestheslasher

Quote from: All of a Sludden on March 07, 2011, 12:33:53 AM
Jim despite what the doom mongers will tell you its a good time to build a house. Labour costs have been slashed, materials are much cheaper and builders need the work. Architects are doing nothing, you`ll get a free consultation and a look at their work.
Your best bet is to go for a drive in a good area and have a look at what is out there, find out what you like. It would be a shame to end up with a boring 4 bed dormer when there are so many options available to you.

When you decide what you want have a chat with the local planning officer, get an idea of what he wants and will allow. Mention rain water harvesting, solar panels and the likes and you are half way there.

Doom mongers, this from the guy that described his proposed house as "a typical, thoughtless Irish house". You are to posting what Sludden is to refereeing!

Anyway, no one said it was a bad time to build. I expressed some concern about his budget thats all.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 09, 2011, 01:51:35 PM

When i built 4 years ago, i was at 40% at that stage, i am in the game so the costs were quite low. People seems to foget its the fit out that costs the dosh.

I would have guessed around 50-60%. The other thing to note is that the first bit will fly up but its the fit out that is the slow bit thereafter.

lawnseed

what'd you think of the log cabins site myles

mylestheslasher

Quote from: lawnseed on March 13, 2011, 10:33:28 AM
what'd you think of the log cabins site myles

Dunno to be honest. You'd imagine they'd be fit for the elements being made in Estonia and you see them in those northern european countries but I am a fan of blocks & mortar!

All of a Sludden

A log cabin is ok in the right setting, it needs to be in or very close to a forest to look right, in my opinion. There is a largeish log cabin just above Omeath, but it is sitting on its own and looks wrong. Where as there is another one one the other side of the mountain, in a wooded setting that looks much better.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

StGallsGAA

£40-£45 per square foot should put her up.