Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 06, 2019, 06:48:24 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 06, 2019, 12:02:55 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on August 06, 2019, 11:43:13 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2019, 11:33:45 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 06, 2019, 10:30:00 AM
It's abit like Trump rabble rousing his so called base, same here, and and we know our opinion on trumps base of supporters.

But what does it say about people who vote SF after their antics?
That there unfortunately is no credible alternative if you want a UI. The SDLP have no one of note or intellect. SF do have saner voices such as O'Dowd, Murphy and Brady. Unfortunately this anti British clown grabs the headlines. Mary Lou is a disappointment as President and Michelle O'Neill is useless.

SF will never deliver a UI and never is a long time. They haven't the ability or skill to persuade those who need persuaded.

I don't think anybody will ever persuade those who need to be persuaded

The people who need to be persuaded are the 20% or so in the middle, hard unionists and loyalists will never vote for it but demographics are changing and Brexit has opened up an economic debate that is only really beginning. I do think for the border poll to happen it would need to be predicated by Scottish independence and an intensive open debate on the costs/benefits of reunification. It would also need to be driven by civic nationalism and the Irish political parties in order to give it the best possible chance of success.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2019, 06:57:14 PM
It's abit like Trump rabble rousing his so called base, same here, and and we know our opinion on trumps base of supporters.

That there unfortunately is no credible alternative if you want a UI. The SDLP have no one of note or intellect. SF do have saner voices such as O'Dowd, Murphy and Brady. Unfortunately this anti British clown grabs the headlines. Mary Lou is a disappointment as President and Michelle O'Neill is useless.

SF will never deliver a UI and never is a long time. They haven't the ability or skill to persuade those who need persuaded.

The people who need to be persuaded are the 20% or so in the middle, hard unionists and loyalists will never vote for it but demographics are changing and Brexit has opened up an economic debate that is only really beginning. I do think for the border poll to happen it would need to be predicated by Scottish independence and an intensive open debate on the costs/benefits of reunification. It would also need to be driven by civic nationalism and the Irish political parties in order to give it the best possible chance of success.

Who else is driving it at the minute? The Tories and British Labour Party?

yellowcard

Quote from: OgraAnDun on August 06, 2019, 09:59:43 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2019, 06:57:14 PM

Who else is driving it at the minute? The Tories and British Labour Party?

It has not been seriously discussed by any of the Irish political parties to date certainly at least in
public although I have seen some documents in terms of the economics from Mark Daly, ESRI However I do believe that preparations need to begin to prepare for the eventuality.

playwiththewind1st

Are things not going so well in SF land? Leadership elections now? My, my. Whatever next?

Rossfan

Hopefully for their sake they soon get rid of the useless Marylou as well.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on August 31, 2019, 11:46:34 AM
Are things not going so well in SF land? Leadership elections now? My, my. Whatever next?

Unbelievable that Sf has suddenly become a democratic party when all leadership has previously been more like USSR with appointees "elected" by the membership.

Replacing O'Neill makes sense if Foster also goes to allow Sir Jeffrey to take over.

t_mac

They might even start representing their electorate.

Orior

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on August 31, 2019, 05:26:44 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on August 31, 2019, 11:46:34 AM

Unbelievable that Sf has suddenly become a democratic party when all leadership has previously been more like USSR with appointees "elected" by the membership.

Replacing O'Neill makes sense if Foster also goes to allow Sir Jeffrey to take over.

Wee Jeffrey? You mean Sir Smug of Smugness
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

trailer

They're going after O'Neill because she is weak. Weak in front of the cameras and weak in debates. She has a fight on her hands with O'Dowd.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

johnnycool

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on September 01, 2019, 10:47:02 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on September 01, 2019, 10:45:32 AM
English former mechanic leaves Sinn Féin £1.5m in will

Nice windfall.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/english-former-mechanic-leaves-sinn-f%C3%A9in-1-5m-in-will-1.4001303

As compared to....plucking figure out of the air.... £26 million?

He must have been some mechanic if he can go forward in time to 2004 when writing a will in 1997.

If he discovered the flux capacitor then no wonder he'd millions stashed away.

playwiththewind1st

Any self-respecting car mechanic is bound to have a few odd millions salted away, with the hourly rates that they charge.

Orior

I would enjoy seeing O'Dowd take over from O'Neill.

Always seems like he has a strategic view and is good at articulating his argument.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Ambrose

They'll need to shift Mary Lou as well if they are to halt their electoral decline, especially in the south. Personally I think Pearse Doherty is the obvious choice for leader and they could do worse than have Conor Murphy as deputy.
You can't live off history and tradition forever