Xbox elite 120gb vs 250gb

Started by delboy, November 18, 2009, 04:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Im in the market for a new console, thought long and hard about xbox vs ps3, i love the idea of a blue ray player but at the end of the day i want a console and the xbox seems to shade it on the game front (online and number available).

I've seen what i reckon are to decent deals, a 250GB with forza 3 and 2 controllers for £225 and a 120Gb with forza 3, modern warfare 2 and one controller.
My natural inclination is to pay more and go for the larger harddrive but seeing as Microsoft don't want/allow you to save music films on it and instead want you to stream from a PC or download from them im struggling to see the advantages of paying extra for the larger harddrive.

Anyone have a convincing case for the more expensive larger hard drive version??

Gnevin

Larger HDD is pointless . I've got the 16gb and never got near filling it just steam using Tverisity.

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

delboy

Quote from: Gnevin on November 18, 2009, 04:31:44 PM
Larger HDD is pointless . I've got the 16gb and never got near filling it just steam using Tverisity.

I know you can download games onto the hardrive to save running the dvd player (and speed up game loading in some instances) but i reckon you would be a long time filling up the 120gb never mind the 250GB.

thebigfella

I load all my games onto the hard drive and run from there. It's so much quieter, the xbox will run cooler and there is less ware and tear on the DVD drive. XBox live also has loads of downloadable content, for example the add ons for GTA4, lots of studios are going to follow this model in the future.

I think the 250gig is probably the better deal as you get an extra controller. Add an extra controller onto the 120gig with Modern Warfare 2 and it's virtually identical the price of the 250gig with a copy of Modern Warfare 2 added.

Looking at it that way, your getting 130 gig extra free  ;)

delboy

Surely a controller is about £30 so thats £230 for the 120gb forza3/modern warfare package with a total of two controllers.

The 250gb is £225, modern warfare is £32 from amazon (all the release day deals have dried up, asking £40 or above) so thats £257 for the same two games and two controllers.

257-230 so i'd be paying an extra 27 quid for the larger harddrive, not a lot of money i know but do/will i actually ever need it.

thebigfella

Quote from: delboy on November 18, 2009, 04:54:32 PM
Surely a controller is about £30 so thats £230 for the 120gb forza3/modern warfare package with a total of two controllers.

The 250gb is £225, modern warfare is £32 from amazon (all the release day deals have dried up, asking £40 or above) so thats £257 for the same two games and two controllers.

257-230 so i'd be paying an extra 27 quid for the larger harddrive, not a lot of money i know but do/will i actually ever need it.

Yopu weren't clear in the original post that both packages cost different. I'd go for the larger still for the sake of 27 quid as personally physical media with eventually become less of a delivery platform on the XBox.

pintsofguinness

I've the 120 and same as bigfella I install all my games (or at least the ones I'm playing at the time) on to the harddrive, loads of room for that as well as downloading games and demos from marketplace.  For the sake of 27quid though I'd say go with the bigger one.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 18, 2009, 05:59:42 PM

I've the 120 and same as bigfella I install all my games (or at least the ones I'm playing at the time) on to the harddrive, loads of room for that as well as downloading games and demos from marketplace.  For the sake of 27quid though I'd say go with the bigger one.
I'd agree with the lads for only 27 quid extra with a second controller thrown in it's worth it /
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

pintsofguinness

btw if you're getting forza and have the cash, get the steering wheel. 

I'm completely addicted.

delboy

Quote from: Gnevin on November 18, 2009, 06:40:44 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 18, 2009, 05:59:42 PM

I'd agree with the lads for only 27 quid extra with a second controller thrown in it's worth it /

I've done a pants job of explaining the two deals, just priced up the 120Gb one in GAME.

120GB elite for £200 with forza 3 and MW2 thrown in for free, 2nd controller £22 quid with MW2 so all in £222.

The other deal i can get is 250GB elite 2 controllers and forza 3 for £225, if i wanted to get MW2 to be in line with the above deal, it'd be £32 quid extra so total would be £257.

The only difference would be the extra memory 250Gb vs 120Gb (ie same games, same number of controllers etc). The difference in price would be £35, so £35 for an extra 130Gb (but is it even really needed).

pintsofguinness

The only difference would be the extra memory 250Gb vs 120Gb (ie same games, same number of controllers etc). The difference in price would be £35, so £35 for an extra 130Gb (but is it even really needed).
If you've got the 35 quid, yes, may as well take it.

flantheman82

Don't want to hijack your thread but how do you load the games onto the hdd? Would you still need the disc in to play it?
Also, anyone know how to change the default xbox user profile? Mine keeps automatically signing me into my cousins profile even though my own is the only one with the live set up. It's a pain in the arse having to switch profiles everytime.

pintsofguinness

Wehn you're on "my xbox" you'll see "Game details" at the bottom and indication to press Y for it.
If you press it there's option to install the game when the screen comes up.

For the profile, go in to your profile (you know where it says your name and score and recent games), go to "profile", go to "auto sign in" and enable and that's the profile it should log you in as when you start up.
(You might need to disable the auto sign in in your cousins profile first - not sure)

Master Yoda

Can the same game be loaded onto different hard drives?
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

thebigfella

Quote from: Master Yoda on November 19, 2009, 09:18:50 AM
Can the same game be loaded onto different hard drives?

Yes but you can't boot the game from the HDD without the original DVD. So in theory it's pointless.