Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Brutal weather at the Boston Marathon today!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Saw that... Some of the elite women were running in ponchos!

Targetman

That Scottish fella was in bad shape approaching the end of the marathon at the commonwealth games, was in the lead too!

imtommygunn

Big story in the boston marathon with the japanese guy yuki who works 9-5 winning it. Apparently an amateur as he isn't allowed to take payments with his work.

Only saw hawkins collapsing today. He was in some shape. That woman he leant over to take a photo needs a good boot up the arse.

An Gaeilgoir

Just wondering if anyone is doing Connemara this weekend? The weather should be good for a change.

moysider

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 16, 2018, 06:11:04 PM
Saw that... Some of the elite women were running in ponchos!

My missus did Boston yesterday. 2celcius at start before factoring in wind chill and sleet showers. Friend of mine did it and collapsed. Hypothermia. Ok after a spell in hospital + drip. Sounds like a tough one.

imtommygunn

I would say there were probably a lot of hypothermia cases at it. 26 miles in that... wouldn't fancy it.

The story of those 2 winners is pretty massive too. If you had done a double bet on those 2 you would be a very rich person.

ballinaman

Hypothermia is a funny one in running. Can affect some people more than others. Tall athletes anecdotally suffer more due to bigger lungs, skin surface area causing more evaporation and cooling. The two winners were fairly small.
Decision making usually takes a hit too when going hypothermic, I watched the full race back today on YouTube. The Ethiopian leading the women's race took off her gloves at 30km...crazy decision, she was passed by Linden at 35km then, went to pieces. Sage Canaday in the men's said he took off his jacket too early and dropped out at 20km because was going hypothermic.

Don Johnson

This is one for anyone round North Armagh, with all the work going out at Craigavon Lakes someone told me yesterday that you can't run or walk round it anymore because the Watersports car park is closed off? Anyone been there lately? Was planning on going round maybe tomorrow or the weekend but not going to if its shut off.

laoislad

London Marathon gonna be a hot one! 20 degrees already.

imtommygunn

It's going to be a good race at the font. I think the womens record attempt isn't going to happen based on first few mile. I think farah may blow a gasket - still training in ethipoia i see :( (no drug testing there)

I know quite a few doing it so be interesting to see how they get on. They are varying levels of fitness but the heat will probably hit allof them.

Milltown Row2

Sir Mo seems keen! Looks like a tough ask to have any records broken yoday
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 22, 2018, 09:57:11 AM
It's going to be a good race at the font. I think the womens record attempt isn't going to happen based on first few mile. I think farah may blow a gasket - still training in ethipoia i see :( (no drug testing there)

I know quite a few doing it so be interesting to see how they get on. They are varying levels of fitness but the heat will probably hit allof them.
Bingo is doing it. Anyone else from this parish?

Targetman

Mo's not happy, he can't find his drink!!