Prague

Started by downredblack, January 17, 2007, 12:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

bars are quite cheap, went for a few days last summer. the irish bars are the most expensive bars around as they trade on nostalgia.

dont personally understand why the constant need to go on a holiday and look for a bar thats exactly like your local at home. the local bars are alot cheaper. me and 5 mates sat drinking for about 6 hours in one pub and it cost about £7 each at the end. best thing to do is just go in and ask for a beer and they will give you whatever beer they do on draught. they are all quality (especially staropramen!!)

QuoteThe famous 5-story night club must be experienced. 5 storys of a warehouse which gave you the authentic feeling for how it must have felt working in a skoda factory behind the iron curtain.

fantastic club, got every taste in it. you can get illegal taxis outside the club but bargain them down. dont pay any more than 350/ 400 krona for a 15 min journey. just tell them you will tell the police on them if they refuse!! that gets them quick enough.
the difference between success and failure is energy

downredblack

I was over there in January , heavy snow which added to the beauty of the place . I would  recommend that you book a taxi through www.pragueairportshuttle.com . Our plane was three hours late due to the weather and we were looking forward to getting a bus / train  into the city centre and taking it from there but no yer man was there with his little placard .It would never happen in Ireland in a million years . Anyway the driver gave us the run down on Prague during our half hour trip . What to eat / drink where to go and how much to pay for certain things . Very informative and well worth the 20 -25 Euros for door to door service . Great city would defo go back again , gargle was pretty reasonable as was the food . Would recommend the 2/3 day travel tickets which you can buy at tobacconist / newsagents , Unlimited use of buses and trams for about 7 Euros .

The Real Laoislad

Was there about five years ago and am heading again next thursday... ;D
Is the beer still cheap?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

under the bar

Quote"Maybe I could be Steve McClaren's replacement if I improve my English," said the 47-year-old Spaniard.

It is in the golden tiger (u zlateho tygra) in husova in the old town . Nothing but Pilnser Urquell on tap. yum!

u zlateho tygra (golden tiger) in husova in the old town

Norf Tyrone

Anyone recomend a hotel in Prague? Heading over now in October with Mrs NT so anything reasonable that isn't a dive please?  ;D
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Over the Bar

There's the imperial if you like turn of the century architecture.  Feels like you;ve stepped into a timewarp.  Quite reasonable from my recollection.  Decent centrally located  hotels in prague are pricey tho.

Ryano

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 28, 2008, 04:10:22 AM
Anyone recomend a hotel in Prague? Heading over now in October with Mrs NT so anything reasonable that isn't a dive please?  ;D

Stayed here http://andel.praguehotels.it/overview.html?source=googleh-andel+hotel+prague last summer with the quare one for a few nights. Fab spot and we got upgraded to a penthouse suite too ;D We got a good deal when booking as we booked about 6 months in advance, no idea what its like now tbh.

It's in the Andel (angel in English) district (hence the name) and is literally a 1 minute walk to the excellent subway system or if you prefer the trams are 30 seconds away. (always makes me wonder how Eastern European cities can have public transport like this while we still have a few rattling buses ploughing around) Takes approx 10 minutes to get to the city centre from here on subway and maybe 15/20 minutes on the tram depending on which one you use. Its a nice area, obviously got a major face lift over the last few years. There is a shopping centre around the corner from the Hotel (Tesco's are there! Did not know they had expanded that far into Europe) and in the general area a Pizza place, steak house, shoe shops, clothes shops, cinema and loads of other wee shops etc. Nice, clean, quiet and well kept area and not too far away from the city centre.   

Zapatista

I'm in Prague for the Cork Kery game. Couldn't be bothered reading through the thread. Can anyone suggest a place I might get to watch it. Cheers.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Zapatista on August 20, 2008, 10:42:44 PM
I'm in Prague for the Cork Kery game. Couldn't be bothered reading through the thread. Can anyone suggest a place I might get to watch it. Cheers.

Rocky O Reillys off the main square
Or McCafferys in the middle of Old Town Square
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Zapatista

Cheers RealLL. Can we call it even for destrying the evidence ;)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Zapatista on August 20, 2008, 10:55:27 PM
Cheers RealLL. Can we call it even for destrying the evidence ;)

I hold no grudges my friend......

Check out Goldfingers aswell..You might not see the match but you will see a certain other type of sport*

* Thats assuming like me you class pole dancing as a sport
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 20, 2008, 10:53:32 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on August 20, 2008, 10:42:44 PM

Rocky O Reillys off the main square
Or McCafferys in the middle of Old Town Square

btw my mistake the pub is called Cafferys not McCafferys though i think the tri colour outside will give it away  :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ross4life

After 2 years this thread needs a bump

Heading over at the end of this month as a stop over for Oktoberfest, other than what has already been mentioned here.. what are the must sees & dos? & is drink/food as cheap as it once was 
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

under the bar

QuoteWas in Prague a couple of months ago and round the corner from the hotel I stayed in was a little chapel with the Child of Prague in it. Did a little research and found that although people from all over the world come to ask it favours Irish people are the only ones who think it can influence the weather.

I'd always thought the Child of Prague was based on an apparition or something.  Turns out its not even a recognised icon, just a wax doll some bloke made 100 years ago that various people with more money than sense kept sending expensive new outfits for.   

The Worker

Do any airlines fly direct belfast to Prague these days?