Unionism's big opportunity to shed its religious bigotry

Started by T Fearon, March 11, 2009, 08:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

The funeral of the murdered Police Officer Stephen Carroll takes place tomorrow Thursday at 12 noon after Requiem Mass in Banbridge. The big question is can the local Westminster MP and other senior unionists go against the grain and their Orange Order diktat,and enter a catholic church to honour this man?

Hardy

Breaking news: ketttle in hopeless case of confused identity with pot.

T Fearon

bollix, I am not a public representative in the so called "Mother of Parlaiments"

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: T Fearon on March 11, 2009, 08:58:07 AM
The funeral of the murdered Police Officer Stephen Carroll takes place tomorrow Thursday at 12 noon after Requiem Mass in Banbridge. The big question is can the local Westminster MP and other senior unionists go against the grain and their Orange Order diktat,and enter a catholic church to honour this man?

Entirely up to themselves but I know of at least two Orange Order members who were happy to attend my wedding in a Catholic church and that wasn't yesterday or last week.  My view is to let the Carroll family and friends grieve in peace and not make a federal case out of who does or doesn't go to the funeral.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

GweylTah

You've reached a new low - and for you that's saying something.

full back

T Fearon

Its not a cheap point scoring exercise. It is about the fact that in 2009 unionists cannot bring themselves to attend the funeral of a murdered member of a British Police Force and the British Conservative Party has now formally linked up with a branch of unionism, whoch means that unionists could conceivably be in the British Cabinet.

Entirely valid point and surely this will cause more hurt and insult to the Carroll family.

Imagine is  a black person was murdered in London and the sitting MP could not attend his funeral. Image the outcry of racism etc

Minder

Quote from: T Fearon on March 11, 2009, 10:12:54 AM
Its not a cheap point scoring exercise. It is about the fact that in 2009 unionists cannot bring themselves to attend the funeral of a murdered member of a British Police Force and the British Conservative Party has now formally linked up with a branch of unionism, whoch means that unionists could conceivably be in the British Cabinet.

Entirely valid point and surely this will cause more hurt and insult to the Carroll family.
Imagine is  a black person was murdered in London and the sitting MP could not attend his funeral. Image the outcry of racism etc

I would say the last thing on any of the Carroll's minds is who does or does not attend the funeral.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

corn02

Bollix Tony,
there will be plenty there, you can be sure of that.

nifan

Im sure the carrolls would be touched by your consideration for them Tony.
Your sympathy for them is obviously the main factor in this.

Orior

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on March 11, 2009, 09:31:21 AM

Entirely up to themselves but I know of at least two Orange Order members who were happy to attend my wedding in a Catholic church and that wasn't yesterday or last week.  My view is to let the Carroll family and friends grieve in peace and not make a federal case out of who does or doesn't go to the funeral.

Isnt it true that they have to request permission from the grand master wizard or whatever?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Doogie Browser

No doubt they will be there Tony, you should know better.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Orior on March 11, 2009, 10:20:59 AM

Isnt it true that they have to request permission from the grand master wizard or whatever?

Not exactly sure Orior, the rules of the OO are more complex than those of rugby!  Maybe since they were from Belfast and I got married in Co Cavan, they felt it was far enough away to take the chance??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

GweylTah

At least Fearon has you for company in the gutter.  Your attitudes are disgusting.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on March 11, 2009, 10:33:56 AM

Not exactly sure Orior, the rules of the OO are more complex than those of rugby!  Maybe since they were from Belfast and I got married in Co Cavan, they felt it was far enough away to take the chance??

Their skin didn't burn when they entered the chapel, did it?
Tbc....