The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Orior on April 09, 2018, 11:39:23 PM
The sooner we have "ready golf" on tour the better.

I actually thought Reed was intentionally slow yesterday. McIlroy has always been fast but I agree he seemed to be very quick with his putting which was just terrible yesterday. With some of the shots he was hitting 66/67 was more than doable!

Gold

Quote from: yellowcard on April 09, 2018, 05:10:51 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 09, 2018, 05:04:39 PM
Some people have been questioning Harry Diamond on the bag as potentially another "yes man" which was the allegation against JP. I would have thought a mate (albeit an inexperienced caddy) would be more empowered to call him out.

I don't know if Diamond is the right caddy or not but people love searching for reasons why after failure. His choice of caddy had nothing to do with him missing a load of putts inside 10 feet.

EXACTLY

People are idiots....there was nothing wrong with the Caddy when after 3 days Rory was in 2nd place going into the final day of a Masters.....idiots
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

DrinkingHarp

Thank You Paddy Reed $10 to win  at 45-1.

Had 23-1 odss for hole in one on final day but balked on that, Charlie Hoffman hit one.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

trailer

Quote from: Orior on April 09, 2018, 11:39:23 PM
The sooner we have "ready golf" on tour the better.

The pace of play wasn't too bad at Augusta to be fair. The reduced field helps that.

heganboy

Quote from: Gold on April 10, 2018, 01:11:09 AM
Some people have been questioning Harry Diamond on the bag as potentially another "yes man" which was the allegation against JP. I would have thought a mate (albeit an inexperienced caddy) would be more empowered to call him out.

I don't know if Diamond is the right caddy or not but people love searching for reasons why after failure. His choice of caddy had nothing to do with him missing a load of putts inside 10 feet.

EXACTLY

People are idiots....there was nothing wrong with the Caddy when after 3 days Rory was in 2nd place going into the final day of a Masters.....idiots

Well, that's one approach to a golf thread on a discussion forum...

Caddying is a thankless task as you did nothing when the pro wins, and you are to blame when he doesn't. In this discussion forum I suggested that I thought Rory would have benefitted from a steadying hand or a steer from his caddy. His irons were solid, but he left a lot of putts out there Saturday and Sunday.

I stick with that opinion.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Therealdonald

Quote from: heganboy on April 10, 2018, 01:14:15 PM

EXACTLY

Caddying is a thankless task as you did nothing when the pro wins, and you are to blame when he doesn't. In this discussion forum I suggested that I thought Rory would have benefitted from a steadying hand or a steer from his caddy. His irons were solid, but he left a lot of putts out there Saturday and Sunday.

Patrick Reed didn't miss getting a dig in at Rory anyway. He was asked yesterday about his mindset, said his caddy was the most important man on the course yesterday, kept him grounded and told him (not advised) where to go for it and where to lay up.

On Rory, I think he's going to continue to struggle with winning more majors. He ain't nor ever was Tiger's equal. Doesn't have the same ability or same mindset. If he finishes with his 4 majors he can be incredibly content with what he has achieved.

stephenite

Quote from: Therealdonald on April 10, 2018, 04:23:46 PM

EXACTLY

Patrick Reed didn't miss getting a dig in at Rory anyway. He was asked yesterday about his mindset, said his caddy was the most important man on the course yesterday, kept him grounded and told him (not advised) where to go for it and where to lay up.

On Rory, I think he's going to continue to struggle with winning more majors. He ain't nor ever was Tiger's equal. Doesn't have the same ability or same mindset. If he finishes with his 4 majors he can be incredibly content with what he has achieved.

Reed's caddy is his brother in law, Rory uses his best mate, the victor gets to write history on this one but on a different day people will question why he has his brother in law on the bag.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Puckoon on April 09, 2018, 10:50:00 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 09, 2018, 10:10:40 PM
Too much overthinking it here. Reed played a blinder and Rory would have needed a 67 on the final day to go level with him, or it would have been another hard luck story. Of course that 67 is doable, but it's not doable around Augusta with a cold putter.

I'd suggest he just lost a bit of interest once he realised he couldn't force the win. Nothing more sinister than that.

His recent better putting has been largely attributed to feel and a return to trusting his instinct. I'm not sure if more time in the range would improve that.

If a caddy is even halfway as important as some believe then Diamond did a fine job this week, as for 64 holes Rory player very measured and pragmatic golf. His bag man might have misread every putt wrong by 3mm on that front 9 yesterday, but I doubt it, for as mentioned above, Rory is back to putting with feel.

The last 20 majors have seen 17 different winners. This is golf in 2018. There won't be Tiger style domination of this sport for many, many years, and it's a tad unfair to lambast Rory for not doing so.

I don't think Rory's caddies even look at the putts. Maybe JP in the past but not now. One minor criticism, from an 11 index to a multiple major champion is that he played very very quickly yesterday. Specifically on the greens. Quick to mark, line and hit. Perhaps that's an intentional mindset before nonsense can creep in, but I don't think it served him well yesterday.

Brad Faxon had been working with him in recent months on freeing up his mind with his putting stroke the way he is clearly free when he is hitting the driver.
Reed dd the same though. He just addressed the ball and hit it.

screenexile

Quote from: Therealdonald on April 10, 2018, 04:23:46 PM

EXACTLY

I doubt it . . .

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/i-always-have-to-have-the-last-word-rory-mcilroy-and-padraig-harrington-sit-down-with-paul-kimmage-36614694.html

QuotePH: I'm at a stage where I've done what I need to do. You're at a stage, Rory, where you're still trying to get more . . . actually, I'm going to say this, and it's probably not what you want to hear, but four Majors for you is a failure.

RM: I 100 per cent agree.

Rory most certainly can and I think he will win more majors. Golf is a funny game and sometimes it just clicks for you especially with the talent he has (I totally agree not as talented as Woods mentally or with the putter). Sure everyone wrote Sergio off back in 2010 when he didn't make the Ryder cup that he would never win a major and Rory certainly hasn't fallen that far he was still on the leaderboard last weekend.

I really think he will win more he's too good not to!

trailer

McIlroy I'd guess will finish with 8-12 majors and he'll complete the Grand Slam. He is that good.

Puckoon

I didn't notice that in fairness AZ. Maybe he did, but I certainly felt that Rory's pace was quick, even by recreational golf standards.

laoislad

Quote from: trailer on April 11, 2018, 12:26:42 PM
McIlroy I'd guess will finish with 8-12 majors and he'll complete the Grand Slam. He is that good.
I reckon Speith will win more than him.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orchard park

[/quote

it sums up how despised Reed is by followers when a player as dislikeable as McIlroy was being cheered

And i would argue that an experienced putting judge like his ex caddy JP would have slowed him down on Sunday....... but he knows better he has his buddy doing it.

and in fairness they all know more about golf than any of us plebs here

Taylor

Quote from: Orchard park on April 11, 2018, 01:15:04 PM
[/quote

it sums up how despised Reed is by followers when a player as dislikeable as McIlroy was being cheered

And i would argue that an experienced putting judge like his ex caddy JP would have slowed him down on Sunday....... but he knows better he has his buddy doing it.

and in fairness they all know more about golf than any of us plebs here

JP wasnt much good when he was a few shots clear on the Sunday in Augusta and had the meltdown.

His caddy wasnt the problem when he won a few weeks ago.

No caddy in the world would have made any difference on Sunday given some of his shots IMHO

Orchard park

and putting wasnt his problem in 2011 either........

i'm not saying JP would have made the difference on Sunday but a yes man buddy wasnt going to be of much help in the pressure.

anyways I'm delighted the smug p***k is still waiting to win there......