China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

New cases over the past seven days in NI.

Belfast +117
Mid & East Antrim +72
Armagh Banbridge & Craigavon +55
Antrim & Newtownabbey +41

Rudi

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 28, 2020, 02:14:41 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on August 28, 2020, 02:09:53 PM
Nearly every GAA club in lurgan has now been hit. House parties seem to have been the main cause of the spread.

At this stage I'd actually go out on a limb and say it's not so much the house parties....its what ahem....goes on at them.

So ya have to be riding to catch the oul Covid.

bennydorano

Something that is not mentioned frequently enough - Summer was supposed to be the 'easy bit of managing the virus, hard to see things getting significantly better before next Spring (& / or Vaccine).

Rossfan

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 28, 2020, 03:30:06 PM

Belfast +117
Mid & East Antrim +72
Has that Unionist MLA who was querying GAA funding any comment?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Rudi on August 28, 2020, 03:39:32 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 28, 2020, 02:14:41 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on August 28, 2020, 02:09:53 PM
Nearly every GAA club in lurgan has now been hit. House parties seem to have been the main cause of the spread.

At this stage I'd actually go out on a limb and say it's not so much the house parties....its what ahem....goes on at them.

So ya have to be riding to catch the oul Covid.

I would say that saliva transmission is a much, much bigger factor than anything else.

Certainly the magic floating miles in air theory.

JimStynes

Belfast +117
Mid & East Antrim +72

How many in hospitals and ICU? Schools starting back are going to fairly up the rate of new cases.

stvlive

Genetic Game is back after Covid-19. GAA All Ireland Senior Championship most of the time starts in June but this year schedule delay and start in October.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on August 28, 2020, 03:47:30 PM
Something that is not mentioned frequently enough - Summer was supposed to be the 'easy bit of managing the virus, hard to see things getting significantly better before next Spring (& / or Vaccine).

They are not, and people who are acting the bollix now will ensure a complete lockdown at Christmas.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on August 28, 2020, 06:50:53 PM

They are not, and people who are acting the bollix now will ensure a complete lockdown at Christmas.

Wee question for you. If we get over the winter carrying on as we do now - people in every town and village testing positive, but next to nobody dying - would you be happy enough to return to normal then?

Not giving out by the way. Just trying to understand if there's anything could happen pre-vaccine that will  assuage your feeling that Covid is a serious threat to humanity.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on August 28, 2020, 07:09:06 PM

Wee question for you. If we get over the winter carrying on as we do now - people in every town and village testing positive, but next to nobody dying - would you be happy enough to return to normal then?

Not giving out by the way. Just trying to understand if there's anything could happen pre-vaccine that will  assuage your feeling that Covid is a serious threat to humanity.

This is the usual, with restrictions we can tolerate the situation, so lets get rid of the restrictions.  I thought there was an end to this discredited logic. Now that road accidents are less fatal why don't we get rid of seatbelts, airbags and the like?

Downtothewire

Belfast +117
Mid & East Antrim +72

I'll guarantee anyone that if the above numbers had occurred in Newry Mourne & Down or Derry & Strabane these Council areas would be in lockdown by now

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on August 28, 2020, 09:06:42 PM

This is the usual, with restrictions we can tolerate the situation, so lets get rid of the restrictions.  I thought there was an end to this discredited logic. Now that road accidents are less fatal why don't we get rid of seatbelts, airbags and the like?

You're evading the question.

——

By the way, from the earliest days of the motorised vehicle there has been an understood risk. The benefits outweigh the negatives, as is easily comprehended by the fact that we will all get in our cars the next day even if an RTC has killed people we know.

Humans are inherently good at measuring risk and adapting to it. It's why we are top of the tree on this planet.

I'm asking you to evaluate at what point the risk is worth taking. For you alone. If it's not waiting for the vaccine, at what point do you personally assume it's okay to resume even a semi normal life?

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on August 28, 2020, 10:43:40 PM

——

By the way, from the earliest days of the motorised vehicle there has been an understood risk. The benefits outweigh the negatives, as is easily comprehended by the fact that we will all get in our cars the next day even if an RTC has killed people we know.

Humans are inherently good at measuring risk and adapting to it. It's why we are top of the tree on this planet.

I'm asking you to evaluate at what point the risk is worth taking. For you alone. If it's not waiting for the vaccine, at what point do you personally assume it's okay to resume even a semi normal life?

And measures have been put in place to reduce the risk of motor accidents, which is why i mentioned those in my example. Humans can assess risk, the problem is that in motor accidents and Covid19 the risk you face is not the risk that you impose on others. We do not allow truck drivers say "In a accident between me and a pedestrian I'll be OK, so I am not going to stop at pedestrian crossings" and we have a similar approach to Covid19.

I have no doubt Covid19 will be controlled. There is a high probability of a usable vaccine, there are 36 vaccines in clinical trials on humans and at least 89 preclinical vaccines. There is a good probability of treatment becoming many times as effective, there are testing technologies being developed that would allow everyone be easily tested and this would allow the virus be eliminated. The intersection of these probabilities means that this winter may be a problem, but not next. In the meantime people can do most things, if they carefully calibrate the line.

Eire90

i did not think you were talking about sex at house parties but people putting stuff up their nose and exchanging bank notes and other stuff

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on August 28, 2020, 11:24:38 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 28, 2020, 10:43:40 PM

——

And measures have been put in place to reduce the risk of motor accidents, which is why i mentioned those in my example. Humans can assess risk, the problem is that in motor accidents and Covid19 the risk you face is not the risk that you impose on others. We do not allow truck drivers say "In a accident between me and a pedestrian I'll be OK, so I am not going to stop at pedestrian crossings" and we have a similar approach to Covid19.

I have no doubt Covid19 will be controlled. There is a high probability of a usable vaccine, there are 36 vaccines in clinical trials on humans and at least 89 preclinical vaccines. There is a good probability of treatment becoming many times as effective, there are testing technologies being developed that would allow everyone be easily tested and this would allow the virus be eliminated. The intersection of these probabilities means that this winter may be a problem, but not next. In the meantime people can do most things, if they carefully calibrate the line.

Truck drivers have rules to follow. Pedestrians have rules to follow. But the reason why so few trucks run into pedestrians is little to do with those rules, and everything to with eyes, ears and noses.

Give a 10 year old a bike and a few harsh words and he will always avoid a truck.

Humans are inherently good at assessing risk.