Gumshield / Mouth Guards

Started by Christmas Lights, January 21, 2014, 01:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 04, 2016, 11:55:32 PM
Over 2 years since I started this thread and I haven't worn a gum shield yet   8)

Lar naparka, reasons for not wearing a gum shield

- they make me gag
- they are ugly looking, makes one look like bubba from Forrest Gump
- they restrict the intake of O2
- I don't want to be one of those guys who pulls out his gum shield every break in play only to see a trail of slabbers follow from the mouth, disgusting.

Into the sock she goes every game
I pay house insurance and I hope to god I never have to use it, same as car insurance and travel cover.
I know it's fairly long odds that I'll ever need to make a claim against any of them  but I still think it's worthwhile paying both premiums just in case....
I'll gladly hand over the payments for the rest of my life and I'm hoping it will be dead money. In other words, I don't want to ever have to make a claim but it.
I have seen players getting teeth knocked out and I have seen others getting concussed following a blow to the chin. If any of those involved had been wearing gumshields, the damage would have been less severe.
IMO, getting used to wearing one is better any day than having to get used to wearing a set of falsies .
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Croí na hÉireann

Have worn won since I saw the damage done years ago to a fellow not wearing one. Definitely a clamp down on it in Dublin as Canalman says. Yellows given and lads having to borrow some from subs. If I was a ref and I heard someone mouthing the first thing I'd be checking was if he was wearing a mouth guard, near impossible to talk with them in.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Karl Kennedy

Does anyone know what the best gumshield for children for GAA? Don't want to go through dentist as will grow out of it quickly so prefer to stick to a boil and bite one.

StephenC

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on September 05, 2018, 06:29:00 PM
Does anyone know what the best gumshield for children for GAA? Don't want to go through dentist as will grow out of it quickly so prefer to stick to a boil and bite one.

I've found Makura to be the best. Easy to trim as necessary also.