Cryptocurrency

Started by gallsman, September 01, 2017, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Article in today's UK Times from Simon Nixon Billionaire founder of moneysupermarket.com (& venture capitalist crypto speculator) it's behind a paywall unfortunately. I read the article in the paper itself, the headline says it all anyway -

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hopes-of-bitcoin-becoming-credible-have-slumped-along-with-its-price-2prgcvh0l

LeoMc

As a matter of interest who is making the money here?
Is it the bitcoin miners or are there middleman taking a cut on transactions?

Obviously there are people throwing real money into the buying platforms so I wonder where it is going.

screenexile

Hope nobody was using Wormhole!!

Tried to read through the below article but it turned into Greek halfway down the page. . .

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/02/320-million-stolen-from-wormhole-bridge-linking-solana-and-ethereum.html

blanketattack

Quote from: LeoMc on February 03, 2022, 03:09:14 PM
As a matter of interest who is making the money here?
Is it the bitcoin miners or are there middleman taking a cut on transactions?

Obviously there are people throwing real money into the buying platforms so I wonder where it is going.

Lots of money being made by the middlemen anyway e.g. Opensea - NFT marketplace , Coinbase - Cryptocurrency exchange , Gemini - Crypto and NFT exchange founded by the Winklevosses: all 3 companies are worth around $10 billion.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: bennydorano on February 03, 2022, 02:44:16 PM
Article in today's UK Times from Simon Nixon Billionaire founder of moneysupermarket.com (& venture capitalist crypto speculator) it's behind a paywall unfortunately. I read the article in the paper itself, the headline says it all anyway -

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hopes-of-bitcoin-becoming-credible-have-slumped-along-with-its-price-2prgcvh0l

It's pretty clear that "risk on" assets have taken a tanking the last couple of months; that includes stocks as well as Bitcoin. Investors (generally) are seeking the still perceived safe haven of the USD.
The markets move in cycles Benny; so I wouldn't get crowing too much yet about Bitcoin's demise

bennydorano

Quote from: Smokin Joe on February 03, 2022, 10:56:41 PM

It's pretty clear that "risk on" assets have taken a tanking the last couple of months; that includes stocks as well as Bitcoin. Investors (generally) are seeking the still perceived safe haven of the USD.
The markets move in cycles Benny; so I wouldn't get crowing too much yet about Bitcoin's demise
Crowing?? I'm invested. You only want to read the good news stories?

screenexile

Stay safe out there guys!!

trailer

JPGJOHNNYG

;D
Strap in and enjoy the rollercoaster
This is exactly why you should be only throwing money that you can afford to lose into this and treat any gains as a nice bonus

JPGJOHNNYG

For the record after some nice gains about 18 mths ago, Im now down about 30% :o

clarshack

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on May 10, 2022, 04:19:02 PM
For the record after some nice gains about 18 mths ago, Im now down about 30% :o

did you not cash out when you were up?

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: clarshack on May 10, 2022, 06:11:23 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on May 10, 2022, 04:19:02 PM

did you not cash out when you were up?

It's knowing when to cash out ;D

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on February 04, 2022, 11:58:46 AM

Quote from: Smokin Joe on February 03, 2022, 10:56:41 PM

Crowing?? I'm invested. You only want to read the good news stories?
I'd be interested to read the article, Simon was once a crypto currency fanboy.
Forbes Advisor article on Bitcoin
https://www.forbes.com/advisor/investing/cryptocurrency/why-is-bitcoins-price-falling/
Bitcoin and others' trading value was supposed to be independent of other happenings that affected the trading world,  however this hasn't been the case since last autumn. And now perceived to be a risky asset in current risky times. It's not regarded as a currency to hedge your bet in, the proverbial safe haven.
It's a speculative currency, popular when going up in value and less so (understatement) when going down.
I have wondered what the real value is outside the speculative frenzy.

trailer

I actually bought more recently. At this point I need professional help.
I made some tidy gains at the start and took profit. I only ever committed punt money to it so I am not really bothered. I've no choice now but to hold on and wait for the next bull run. It's only a loss if you sell.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on May 11, 2022, 09:10:51 AM
I actually bought more recently. At this point I need professional help.
I made some tidy gains at the start and took profit. I only ever committed punt money to it so I am not really bothered. I've no choice now but to hold on and wait for the next bull run. It's only a loss if you sell.
Yup same as that. Not too worried as it wasn't any mad amount of money but I'm well down.