Row in Mayo LGFA

Started by Seany, July 11, 2018, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

johnnycool

OTB played an audio of the Mayo manager saying how the exodus happened with the Carnacon secretary ringing him to tell him that all their 8 players were withdrawing for player welfare issues. No information on those issues were given.

Subsequently another three players gave separate personal reasons and another one didn't respond. Thet're from different clubs it seems.

I presume Mayo Ladies CB are using the "bringing the game into disrepute" on the basis that Carnacon made allegations wrt player welfare but haven't backed those up.

thebackbar1

When is Coras book being released again ? October is it ! this will help sell a few books what ever happens !

befair

Players may be volunteers, but so are the county board officials. LGFA is run on a shoe-string compared to the GAA, and the board members have an onerous and completely thankless job.

Jinxy

To be fair, if the club told the players to leave the squad, it is the club that should be sanctioned.
That's the issue here.
Unless I'm mistaken, the non-Carnacon players (who perhaps left the squad in solidarity) have not been sanctioned, nor have their clubs.
If that is the case, this would challenge the suggestion that the players themselves are being punished for not making themselves available for the county squad.
Is there a paper trail that shows the order came directly from Carnacon?

Syferus

This is far more interesting than the AI final build up and the shïte talking about RTÉ and people pretending Tyrone have a chance. Even when they're out Mayo manage to take the headlines..

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on August 24, 2018, 04:21:52 PM
To be fair, if the club told the players to leave the squad, it is the club that should be sanctioned.
That's the issue here.
Unless I'm mistaken, the non-Carnacon players (who perhaps left the squad in solidarity) have not been sanctioned, nor have their clubs.
If that is the case, this would challenge the suggestion that the players themselves are being punished for not making themselves available for the county squad.
Is there a paper trail that shows the order came directly from Carnacon?

From the Mayo News

''When asked why the sanction was unique to Carnacon and their players, and not to other players from other clubs who left, Mr McDonnell said their withdrawal was somewhat different.
"Other players left of an individual nature for personal reasons. Carnacon withdrew their players – they contacted the county manager and withdrew their services. That is what it was seen by the meeting as having brought the game into disrepute. It was the action of the club rather than its players," he said.
While there is a rule in the Ladies Gaelic Official Guide that allows county boards to impose a six month ban for any player who refuses to play for their county team, Mr McDonnell said this did not apply as 'personal reasons' were cited by the non-Carnacon players.''

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/32536-carnacon-to-appeal-being-thrown-out-of-mayo-championship

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Halfquarter

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 31, 2018, 02:54:44 AM
The latest
http://www.the42.ie/carnacon-appeal-successful-4211287-Aug2018/

I'd imagine that Carnacon might have a little extra motivation I the Mayo championship this year !

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Halfquarter on August 31, 2018, 07:37:51 AM
The latest

I'd imagine that Carnacon might have a little extra motivation I the Mayo championship this year !

It's not as if they had much trouble dismantling everyone else to get motivation.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Halfquarter

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 31, 2018, 07:52:54 AM
Quote from: Halfquarter on August 31, 2018, 07:37:51 AM
The latest

It's not as if they had much trouble dismantling everyone else to get motivation.

I know, but I feel that they might be in the mood to batter someone now .

Jinxy

All the other clubs should withdraw in protest.

Brick Tamlin

For the ignorant of us here can someone actually spell out in plain laguage what the hell the actual issue is?