Row in Mayo LGFA

Started by Seany, July 11, 2018, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippabu

Quote from: Syferus on August 23, 2018, 09:24:05 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 23, 2018, 09:14:36 PM
A lot of people making judgement here without the full facts, or without any facts. There is a history of trouble with the Mayo ladies team.
In 2010 nobody would manage the senior team for the Championship, nobody! You'd think there would have been one or two souls in the county that'd love to take up the opportunity. But there was no one.

Halfway through the 2010 season, Mayo ladies manager Pat Costello resigned, stating that his position was no longer tenable due to [being] constantly undermined by certain players within the panel.

So Mayo played no games in the Province that year. They were thrown straight into the back door route and Fr Michael Murphy came in as a short term solution. I have a feeling the same personnel who are the mainly involved in this are the same culprits this time. There is a click of players on the Mayo panel who have ruled the roost for a long time. It would take a tough manager to take them on, and maybe this was the tough manager.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/10342-new-mayo-ladies-football-manager-interviewed

I think Cora is an incredible player and athlete but I don't think she appreciates how poorly this debacle reflects on her and her legacy.

If she just said "you know what, fine, I'll be an impact sub for the rest of the year if needs be and I'll retire at the end of the year" she'd get praised for her commitment to the team and be able to bask in the glow of deserved eulogies from the media and supporters alike. Instead it very much looks like she instigated a heave and took her mates with her because she was going to be dropped from the starting team, unless something very different leaks out in the meantime.

That's a sad end to best ladies footballer of all time.

Surely theres more to it than just cora not being selected / phased out however you want to say it, why would there be a big non confidential agreement over something as small as that. Id certainly feel alot different about the situation if it is the case as you say the players pulling out over this, it would reflect terribly on them in my opinion

nrico2006

How many non Carnacon players left?
Why are these clubs getting off?
Who issued the statement?
Have they any evidence that Carnacon influenced their players? The girls could simply have made the decision together without any club involvement.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

From the Bunker

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 23, 2018, 10:38:17 PM
How many non Carnacon players left?
Why are these clubs getting off?
Who issued the statement?
Have they any evidence that Carnacon influenced their players? The girls could simply have made the decision together without any club involvement.

8 of the 12 were from Carnacon.

From the Mayo News

''When asked why the sanction was unique to Carnacon and their players, and not to other players from other clubs who left, Mr McDonnell said their withdrawal was somewhat different.
"Other players left of an individual nature for personal reasons. Carnacon withdrew their players – they contacted the county manager and withdrew their services. That is what it was seen by the meeting as having brought the game into disrepute. It was the action of the club rather than its players," he said.
While there is a rule in the Ladies Gaelic Official Guide that allows county boards to impose a six month ban for any player who refuses to play for their county team, Mr McDonnell said this did not apply as 'personal reasons' were cited by the non-Carnacon players.''

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/32536-carnacon-to-appeal-being-thrown-out-of-mayo-championship

From the Bunker

Quote from: hardstation on August 23, 2018, 11:15:13 PM
And Carnacon wouldn't be very well liked, you say?

They're at it....

Did you read the piece?

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on August 23, 2018, 11:30:19 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 23, 2018, 11:26:55 PM

They're at it....

Did you read the piece?
Yes.

And club delegates overwhelmingly voted to turf them out, yes?
Club delegates overwhelmingly dislike them, yes?
This is completely manufactured.

I love that you're telling the lad from Mayo what's going on in Mayo. At least Ballagh is near the border..

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on August 23, 2018, 11:37:26 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 23, 2018, 11:34:52 PM

They're at it....

Did you read the piece?
Yes.

I love that you're telling the lad from Mayo what's going on in Mayo. At least Ballagh is near the border..
He's part of the problem. He clearly hates them too ffs.

#Justice4Carnacon

From the Bunker

They're at it....

Did you read the piece?
Yes.

Yes, Carnacon bit off more than they could chew this time!  They as a club tried to cause mayhem mid Championship season and thought they would get their way because of who they are (like they did in the past). What would you do? Fine them? You have to have a standard. Why was it Just Carnacon who protested? As the other 4 girls who just left without protest they seem to be a Red Herring in all this.

DuffleKing

Agreed. Absurd attempt at getting back at the club that should be overturned with any kind of appeal. Then there's the disciplinary practices of the LGFA to consider...

macdanger2

I don't know much about the politics of this but from anyone I've talked to in mayo, there wouldn't be huge sympathy for carnacon (not out of a dislike for carnacon, more of a feel for what's happened). There does seem to be a sense that the cb have overstepped their remit by expelling the club though

Regardless of how this pans out, there are no winners from this

Syferus

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 23, 2018, 11:49:44 PM

Agreed. Absurd attempt at getting back at the club that should be overturned with any kind of appeal. Then there's the disciplinary practices of the LGFA to consider...

I really am digging these instant experts on the vagaries of the Mayo Ladies County Board's rules. They're the ones that wrote the damn book, no one knows what they can and can't do better than they do. You may think the rules are draconian but saying it will definitely be overturned is an incredible leap to make.

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on August 23, 2018, 11:54:08 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 23, 2018, 11:44:13 PM

They're at it....

Did you read the piece?
Yes.

Yes, Carnacon bit off more than they could chew this time!  They as a club tried to cause mayhem mid Championship season and thought they would get their way because of who they are (like they did in the past). What would you do? Fine them? You have to have a standard. Why was it Just Carnacon who protested? As the other 4 girls who just left without protest they seem to be a Red Herring in all this.
No. It's pretty simple. If the club are at fault in instances like this, the chairman & secretary take the fall usually. I think that's why the rule refers to "members" in particular and not "club".
Grace O'Malley, the nippy corner forward should not be punished.

But we both know what is at play here.

I'm afraid she's a wee bit overage to be playing for the Mayo ladies team..

And if you mean Grace Kelly, well she's a Moy Davitts player who never left the panel so I don't know what you're getting at.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Syferus on August 23, 2018, 11:56:23 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 23, 2018, 11:49:44 PM

I really am digging these instant experts on the vagaries of the Mayo Ladies County Board's rules. They're the ones that wrote the damn book, no one knows what they can and can't do better than they do. You may think the rules are draconian but saying it will definitely be overturned is an incredible leap to make.

I think you'll find Mayo LGFA won't be the ultimate decision maker on this Brains

From the Bunker

Quote from: hardstation on August 24, 2018, 12:00:38 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 23, 2018, 11:58:33 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 23, 2018, 11:44:13 PM

They're at it....

Did you read the piece?
Yes.

No. It's pretty simple. If the club are at fault in instances like this, the chairman & secretary take the fall usually. I think that's why the rule refers to "members" in particular and not "club".
Grace O'Malley, the nippy corner forward should not be punished.

I'm afraid she's a wee bit overage to be playing for the Mayo ladies team..
They've an age limit now too? Rule book is a joke.

Who is Grace O'Malley?

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on August 24, 2018, 12:15:01 AM
I made her up as some girl from Carnacon who has no connection with any of this, apart from finding herself banned from the Mayo championship of course.

Tough shît when your club brings the sport into disrepute. They opened themselves up to the charge by the sheer arrogance of the manner by which the players made their exit from the panel. They seem to have thought they would be the ones who had leverage but they were clearly mistaken. There's not many outside of yourself and Carnacon members too cut up about this.

From the Bunker

I'd guess that there is a tightening up on the power that Carnacon has had on the Mayo Senior Ladies team for a long time now. There has been a long list of Managers who have struggled under this and this is the time to say STOP!

Sometimes you have to Bully the Bully.

I do believe that Carnacon will be reinstated, but their hold on the reigns of the Mayo Senior Ladies team will be lessened. And they will think twice about a stunt like this again. That all the other Key players stayed with the Management shows that what ever the Carnacon Players were upset with was not a important issue among a majority of the squad.