Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

theticklemister

Take your anti-city bias and ram it up your hole.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

shantygael

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 11, 2018, 05:53:41 PM
Today's @UlsterGAA match v @GortinGAA has unfortunately been postponed due to the weather https://t.co/HZ9tTJ9npN

The sleet showers were bad alright in the city today
At least we were on the ball by informing gortin at 9.15 am before they travelled. Even sent them a pic. Lol
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

theticklemister

Quote from: theticklemister on February 11, 2018, 09:03:06 PM

I want to apologise to everyone for my bad language last night and to restore pride. I was having a few drinks and you know the craic like, so I would like to say this in response

Thanks y'wall

Josey Wales

Quote from: theticklemister on February 12, 2018, 09:51:47 AM

I want to apologise to everyone for my bad language last night and to restore pride. I was having a few drinks and you know the craic like, so I would like to say this in response

Thanks y'wall

To it starts producing county footballers you can ram your city up your hole.

TheOptimist

Quote from: Josey Wales on February 12, 2018, 10:24:53 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on February 12, 2018, 09:51:47 AM

Thanks y'wall

To it starts producing county footballers you can ram your city up your hole.

Derry county teams don't win championships these days without city boys on the team!

restorepride

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 11, 2018, 10:25:32 PM

Too right Tickle.
Take your anti-Steelstown bias and stick it up your apostrophe!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: restorepride on February 12, 2018, 11:16:11 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 11, 2018, 10:25:32 PM

Too right Tickle.
Take your anti-Steelstown bias and stick it up your apostrophe!

Have you lost the plot? I never mentioned apostrophe. You still smarting from your lack of knowledge of grass roots facts. Do you even understand the word bias?

toby47

Only mid-February and the wheels seem to be well and truly falling off.

Derry have lost Niall Keenan and Ciaran McFaul for the remainder of the year.

Both men are going to head to the United States travelling in May and, even though they will still be at home for the remainder of the national league, it was agreed that they should quit the Oak Leaf panel with immediate effect as they won't be around for the championship.

"We have known for a period of time that both Niall and Ciaran had plans to travel in 2018," manager Damian McErlain confirmed in The Irish News. "Obviously it was disappointing to the management and players, however, we have to respect the wishes of Niall and Ciaran. They both would be a loss to any team in the country.

"Players make decisions at different stages in their lives and we have to accept that, challenging as that might be. Players travelling and taking time away is not unique to Derry football. It's part of life.

"Given the success of Slaughtneil we have had to manage the panel a particular way and after discussion with the two players we have decided this is the best decision for them, and Derry football at this stage. Niall and Ciaran are two honest, hard-working and capable footballers. They have been loyal servants to club and county for many years.

"We look forward to welcoming them back after their travels so they can be a part of what we are trying to achieve with the Derry senior football team in the coming years."

Midfielder Patrick Kearney has also quit the Derry county panel, according to The Irish News.

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: toby47 on February 13, 2018, 10:20:13 AM

Both men are going to head to the United States travelling in May and, even though they will still be at home for the remainder of the national league, it was agreed that they should quit the Oak Leaf panel with immediate effect as they won't be around for the championship.

"We have known for a period of time that both Niall and Ciaran had plans to travel in 2018," manager Damian McErlain confirmed in The Irish News. "Obviously it was disappointing to the management and players, however, we have to respect the wishes of Niall and Ciaran. They both would be a loss to any team in the country.

"Players make decisions at different stages in their lives and we have to accept that, challenging as that might be. Players travelling and taking time away is not unique to Derry football. It's part of life.

"Given the success of Slaughtneil we have had to manage the panel a particular way and after discussion with the two players we have decided this is the best decision for them, and Derry football at this stage. Niall and Ciaran are two honest, hard-working and capable footballers. They have been loyal servants to club and county for many years.

"We look forward to welcoming them back after their travels so they can be a part of what we are trying to achieve with the Derry senior football team in the coming years."

Midfielder Patrick Kearney has also quit the Derry county panel, according to The Irish News.

Toby47.  The management appear to have known for a while, so I don't know how this constitutes wheels well and truly falling off?
In your Endo!

toby47

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on February 13, 2018, 10:39:25 AM
Quote from: toby47 on February 13, 2018, 10:20:13 AM

Toby47.  The management appear to have known for a while, so I don't know how this constitutes wheels well and truly falling off?

Two of our best men gone already. Mid-feb.

Also if McErlean has knowen for a while why has he made them leave the panel now? Surely you would have told them to leave when they made the decision 'a while ago' or else let them hang around for the league.

Wildweasel74

Why select slaughtneil men if not available and knew that in advance; why pick these 2 lads if going to america! What about 8-10 other lads he could have selected for a run in the league to see what we got for an actual championship panel

Atticus_Finch

Disappointing to not have them involved but fair play to them,  they don't have a long window to have those sort of summers and don't think anyone can begrudge them their decision.  Two key players and hopefully they will be involved for the long term.

Do you think players read some of the nonsense posted on here ?

I'd imagine the decisions of both lads were not set in stone and management hoped they would change their minds and gave them time  ... could be wrong about that but if their decisions were in the balance then it wouldn't be helped by going on this thread  .... fans can't be bothered leaving South Derry to watch a game being played in Celtic Park (even if the game gets called off because of the weather they still like to moan about it) .... it wouldn't exactly inspire most players to start putting the head down for training from November onwards ? it's a big commitment with not much reward / thanks / support at the minute.

The team no doubt is going through a big transition period at the minute and hopefully it will come good but I don't think the necessary time will be afforded to the current management unfortunately.

This year is probably going to take a bit of patience and "support"*

*This strange word entails travelling to games to watch your team and back them when things are not looking great.  Not that I can talk, I've become a bad fan and come this May will probably be symbolized by Fan 2 in the below hypothetical situation.

South Derry Man 1 (while this is a hypothetical situation, this man actually exists - he is from Moneymore, any Derry game being played, no matter where it is at, he is guaranteed to be there):
"Doesn't it make you proud to be from Derry ?"

South Derry Man 2 (after watching Trainspotting the night before and having to travel outside of South Derry for a game with a bit of a hangover):
It's SH!!TE being from Derry ! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the f**king Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into GAA civilization. Some hate Tyrone. I don't. They're just w@nkers. We, on the other hand, are DOMINATED by w@nkers. Can't even find a decent bunch of gaels to be dominated by. We're ruled by effete arseholes. It's a SH!!TE state of affairs to be in, and ALL the fresh air in the world and all the games in the world being played in Celtic Park won't make any f**king difference!

This hypothetical conversation takes place on the way to the game.

The fairytale ending would be that we win that Championship match on the 27th of May and Derry man 2 is converted and starts to believe again.  Might not happen this year though ...

Best of luck to the team for the forthcoming year.

P.S Celtic Park moaners  - there is a separate thread to get anything off your chest relating to Celtic Park ......  ( http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=22354.0 )
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

seanyb1

McErlain says he will draft in reinforcements in the coming days.

who are these reinforcements likely to be?

theticklemister

Quote from: seanyb1 on February 13, 2018, 11:58:36 AM
McErlain says he will draft in reinforcements in the coming days.

who are these reinforcements likely to be?

From Tyrone