Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Newbridge Exile

I could be wrong but in the early 80's possibly  they could have been in the fourth Division for a year (not sure how bad but remember  things were far from good back then )

Newbridge Exile

Think I was wrong it  was Div 3 they bottomed out at during the early 80's

toby47

Quote from: Rawhide on January 28, 2018, 11:13:11 PM
Lads I want you to think of the players who are available outside of about 3  S'Neil players who ar certs I.e. C Mc Kaigue, S Mc Guinean, B Rogers. You could argue all day about a couple of others, but taking into account the unavailability of these players why then is Heavron, Mc Kindless, Bell not been invited. Have Derry ever been in Division 4? Some pressure on Mc Erlain now, he made these calls for whatever reason.

I would say Karl McKaigue is a cert to start aswell.

Estimator

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on January 28, 2018, 11:30:34 PM

Derry were playing Div 2b football in 2004 against the likes of Waterford, Wicklow and Antrim. They only won 3 league games that year and were actually beaten by Wicklow in Aughrim.
Ulster League Champions 2009

tonesfirstandlast

The hurling was good. The strength and conditioning and nutrition is working well

TheOptimist

Quote from: Estimator on January 29, 2018, 08:36:16 AM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on January 28, 2018, 11:30:34 PM

Derry were playing Div 2b football in 2004 against the likes of Waterford, Wicklow and Antrim. They only won 3 league games that year and were actually beaten by Wicklow in Aughrim.

That's mad, considering we got to the AI Semi that year. I always remembered a league year like that but didn't know when it was, did we lose to Cavan in Celtic Park that year maybe (I have a vague memory).

tbrick18

Going on scoreline alone, our score would have won a lot of matches.
Defensively we are still all over the place. No kickout strategy and a lack of cohesion (albeit early days and minus the Slaughtneil defenders).
For any hope of promotion, we need to win all our remaining games I feel, which is a big ask.

I really don't understand the omission of Heavron, Bell etc. I'd love to hear an explanation from anyone close to these players or management.

Kielt sent off again. I do pick on him a bit on here, but he really does let the team down time and again with discipline and inconsistency on level of effort.

Not a promising start to the year or to McErlain's term in charge.  Doom and gloom on the first weekend of the league.

No doubt, come championship I'll still think we can pull something out of the bag. When will I learn though. lol.

toby47

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 29, 2018, 12:05:23 PM
Defensively we are still all over the place. No kickout strategy and a lack of cohesion (albeit early days and minus the Slaughtneil defenders).
For any hope of promotion, we need to win all our remaining games I feel, which is a big ask.

I really don't understand the omission of Heavron, Bell etc. I'd love to hear an explanation from anyone close to these players or management.

Kielt sent off again. I do pick on him a bit on here, but he really does let the team down time and again with discipline and inconsistency on level of effort.

Not a promising start to the year or to McErlain's term in charge.  Doom and gloom on the first weekend of the league.

No doubt, come championship I'll still think we can pull something out of the bag. When will I learn though. lol.

Personally I think we have no chance of promotion, but at the same time think we will have a bit too much to be relegated to division 4.

Could not make yesterdays game due to a family christening but had a fair idea from the team line up/three McKenna cup games I was at that Derry weren't going to get a result yesterday. Johnston is not a full back (Plays WHB/MF for his club), but at the same time when you look at the bench there is no real full back on the panel, this will be a big problem until the Slaughtneil men are back. Mooney, who also I rate highly and think will be a great addition to the county panel over the next few years is also not a corner back.

Damien McErlaine was nearly caught out last year in minor AI semi-final when he let the Dublin no.11 have the freedom of the park,  then in final gave Clifford acres of space. I feel he is defensively naïve. Westmeath scored 2-17 against us, a team that came up from division 4 last year, I worry for what waits for us further down the line if we don't get sorted defensively ASAP.

As for Heavron & Bell, I can tell you neither were asked to be apart of the panel this year.

oakleaflad

Quote from: toby47 on January 29, 2018, 12:52:06 PM

Personally I think we have no chance of promotion, but at the same time think we will have a bit too much to be relegated to division 4.

Could not make yesterdays game due to a family christening but had a fair idea from the team line up/three McKenna cup games I was at that Derry weren't going to get a result yesterday. Johnston is not a full back (Plays WHB/MF for his club), but at the same time when you look at the bench there is no real full back on the panel, this will be a big problem until the Slaughtneil men are back. Mooney, who also I rate highly and think will be a great addition to the county panel over the next few years is also not a corner back.

Damien McErlaine was nearly caught out last year in minor AI semi-final when he let the Dublin no.11 have the freedom of the park,  then in final gave Clifford acres of space. I feel he is defensively naïve. Westmeath scored 2-17 against us, a team that came up from division 4 last year, I worry for what waits for us further down the line if we don't get sorted defensively ASAP.

As for Heavron & Bell, I can tell you neither were asked to be apart of the panel this year.
This to me is as bad as his defensive naivety. Heavron has been one of the best, if not the best, player in the county this past few years and would walk on our first 15. Bell is good enough for at least a squad place too.

As posted above, what was scored would win us a lot of games and hopefully the Slaughtneil defenders coming back will boost our defense. Back line is weak looking at present with no real full back and not enough out and out defenders. Anyone know what the story is with D McBride, G McKinless and O Duffy? All not with Slaughtneil and could offer something, if available, in my opinion.

Anyway I think we'll stay in Division 3. Should have too much for Sligo, Offaly and Wexford without really threatening promotion either. Next game is important to get back on track, away to Longford who are somewhat of a bogie team for us.

Uncle Phil

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 29, 2018, 01:20:04 PM

This to me is as bad as his defensive naivety. Heavron has been one of the best, if not the best, player in the county this past few years and would walk on our first 15. Bell is good enough for at least a squad place too.

As posted above, what was scored would win us a lot of games and hopefully the Slaughtneil defenders coming back will boost our defense. Back line is weak looking at present with no real full back and not enough out and out defenders. Anyone know what the story is with D McBride, G McKinless and O Duffy? All not with Slaughtneil and could offer something, if available, in my opinion.

Anyway I think we'll stay in Division 3. Should have too much for Sligo, Offaly and Wexford without really threatening promotion either. Next game is important to get back on track, away to Longford who are somewhat of a bogie team for us.

Dermot McBride is riddled with knee problems and has a hard time maintaining fitness because of this. No idea what the story is with Danny Heavron? Can anyone shed light on whether there was a fall out? Has to have been a reason other than footballing matters, because he's a class act and would walk onto the team as previously mentioned.

toby47

Quote from: Uncle Phil on January 29, 2018, 02:26:07 PM

Dermot McBride is riddled with knee problems and has a hard time maintaining fitness because of this. No idea what the story is with Danny Heavron? Can anyone shed light on whether there was a fall out? Has to have been a reason other than footballing matters, because he's a class act and would walk onto the team as previously mentioned.

Heavron was never asked up or named on the initial training panel at the start of the season, he had received no contact from management at all regarding his situation. He then received a phone call from Damien McErlaine about a month later saying he was not in his plans this year because he could not find a position for him on the team and he was going with a youthful panel.

I am led to believe (from a very close & reliable source) that Heavron and McErlaine have never fallen out at club level and there is no previous rift between the two and that phone call is the only contact the two have had since McErlaine has taken the senior post. 

oakleaflad

Quote from: toby47 on January 29, 2018, 02:48:58 PM

Heavron was never asked up or named on the initial training panel at the start of the season, he had received no contact from management at all regarding his situation. He then received a phone call from Damien McErlaine about a month later saying he was not in his plans this year because he could not find a position for him on the team and he was going with a youthful panel.

I am led to believe (from a very close & reliable source) that Heavron and McErlaine have never fallen out at club level and there is no previous rift between the two and that phone call is the only contact the two have had since McErlaine has taken the senior post.
Worrying

seanyb1

that's gospel

shawshank

That's tara, and really casts a serious shadow over Mc Erlaines judgement

TheOptimist

Quote from: seanyb1 on January 29, 2018, 03:44:50 PM

that's gospel

Its the third different version of the story that I have heard now!