Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 15, 2021, 05:57:25 PM
In one of those Dublin games , they have all blurred into one for me, he gave the best display of tackling I have ever seen.
The 2017 final.

greatpoint

Quote from: MayoBuck on January 14, 2021, 09:25:42 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on January 14, 2021, 08:24:41 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on January 11, 2021, 03:12:42 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on January 11, 2021, 02:24:31 PM
Why are Mayo supporters so concerned with what Joe Brolly says? There's a performative love-in towards them from essentially everyone else in the media nearly ever year, despite their recurring failures when it counts. With their sensitivity, are they implicitly acknowledging that he does in fact have a point?

What point is he trying to make?

Possibly that there's something psychological behind Mayo's repeated All-Ireland losses over the past 30 or so years. I'm not sure though, you'd have to ask those who get worked up about it.

So you don't know what Brolly is talking about either. He harps on about celebrity culture, sponsored cars etc but never actually says anything meaningful. You could also use those as reasons why Donegal and Kerry flopped last year.

The reality is Dublin are better than us in almost every position and that's why we lost the final. I wonder will Brolly write an article taking the piss out of paddy Andrews' retirement statement this weekend?

Donegal and Kerry have both won All-Irelands in the last decade though, and I don't remember either of them ever receiving praise for losing a final.

In terms of Paddy Andrews, he won 7 All-Irelands so is at the opposite end of the spectrum to the Mayo players. I think that's part of Brolly's point.

Crete Boom

Quote from: greatpoint on January 14, 2021, 08:24:41 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on January 11, 2021, 03:12:42 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on January 11, 2021, 02:24:31 PM
Why are Mayo supporters so concerned with what Joe Brolly says? There's a performative love-in towards them from essentially everyone else in the media nearly ever year, despite their recurring failures when it counts. With their sensitivity, are they implicitly acknowledging that he does in fact have a point?

What point is he trying to make?

Possibly that there's something psychological behind Mayo's repeated All-Ireland losses over the past 30 or so years. I'm not sure though, you'd have to ask those who get worked up about it.

He doesn't really make any point apart from personal jabs at certain players that mainly stem from a massive  personal conflict of interest after the 2015 managers heave. The rest of the time he makes general insults at players same as the general insults of Colm Cooper and Sean Cavanagh that are obvious reflections of his own major character flaws.
Whethter he ever has a point at all is tough to tell, maybe the odd time he might hit on something but it is akin to a stopped clock being right twice a day.
He treats Tyrone and now Jimmy McGuinness with the eame level of disdain and the only reason he picks on Mayo more frequently is the conflict of interest that I mentioned above.

Crete Boom

Good luck to Chris Barrett in retirement, another warrior for us especially in recent finals.

MayoBuck

Quote from: greatpoint on January 15, 2021, 06:18:15 PM
Donegal and Kerry have both won All-Irelands in the last decade though, and I don't remember either of them ever receiving praise for losing a final.

In terms of Paddy Andrews, he won 7 All-Irelands so is at the opposite end of the spectrum to the Mayo players. I think that's part of Brolly's point.

What praise have Mayo got that Kerry didn't get after the 2019 finals? Donegal got huge praise after beating Dublin in 2014, even though they didn't win the final.

If that's Brolly's point, the obvious thing to ask is why do you need to win all Ireland's to announce you won't be playing intercounty football after 10+ years. Also why does it grate on him now and not when other players did it in previous years. We all know the answer to that of course.

galwayman

Brolly is a shock jock much like George Hook was in the rugby.
Say something controversial to stay somewhat relevant.
Everybody knows it. Ignoring is the best solution.
Honestly I don't know why anyone would ever get bothered about what he says.

Lar Naparka

I hadn't expected Chris to go and I'm afraid Zippy could be next and Jason Doc could be considering his options and maybe Kevin Mac also.
I've spoken my mind about Brolly and I won't mention the little bollox again except to say that if you compared Brolly to a jackass it would be a deadly insult and an apology would be called for.
I mean jackasses do have their standards, ya know.
There may be others, apart from him whom I won't mention again who think players who haven't won AI medals should nog announce their retirements. That is to misunderstand the bond between Mao fans and their players. IMO, we couldn't think more of them if  had won 7 in a row, never mind 6.

Having gotten that off my chest, I can't help but wonder what James Horan is planning to do this year. No doubt he has a serious unit on his hands and going with youth is his best option.
Still, if he had introduced some of the boys of the old brigade instead of the placements he did send in against Dublin, they would have given a better account of themselves.
The result would probably have ben the same but the result would have ben closer, IMO, anyway.
However, that is alll yesterday's news. It will be interesting to see how things go in this years league.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

restorepride

Quote from: galwayman on January 15, 2021, 07:52:06 PM
I agree.  Joe was born in Dungiven but went to boarding school in Armagh.  Nothing wrong with that.  However he was never 'one of the lads' so craves acceptance as 'one of the lads'.   His career path obviously took him away from being 'one of the lads' or a 'sur', as locally known in Dungiven.  An intelligent man but his emotional intelligence is questionable.  Very impulsive - take the kidney donation for example.   Anyhow when he resorts to criticise (sometimes personally) to analyse, then he is just playing to the audience. Same as his playing days with the blowing kisses.  You probably could have a good night's craic in his company - but once a year would do you!   

grounded

Quote from: galwayman on January 15, 2021, 06:08:58 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 15, 2021, 05:57:25 PM
In one of those Dublin games , they have all blurred into one for me, he gave the best display of tackling I have ever seen.
The 2017 final.

Yes he was fantastic in that game. A top player.

Dire Ear

Quote from: galwayman on January 15, 2021, 07:52:06 PM
100%,   ignore is the best policy

Rossfan

MD McAuley joining the retired ranks.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tyrdub

screenexile

IS this retirement thing just a list of lads who haven't been invited back on to their respective county panels?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mayo Border

Quote from: Tyrdub on January 21, 2021, 09:49:10 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 21, 2021, 09:47:25 AM
MD McAuley joining the retired ranks.

1 word - Warrior
Glad you didn't use the word- Footballer