Laois SFC 2017

Started by The Monument Road, February 22, 2017, 08:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: OTF on July 31, 2017, 09:22:19 AM
Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on July 31, 2017, 12:18:50 AM
Quote from: OTF on July 30, 2017, 03:22:05 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on July 30, 2017, 10:23:27 AM
I agree Butch, he was, but where would he enjoy that sort of freedom outside of Laois? This is a big part of problem. Work without the ball and tackling. I have no preference for a coach, but I think we need Mick Dempsey to come and teach us some things. Our defending is pathetic
We've had this discussion more than once HF and the good news is tackling and good defending can actually be thought as opposed to kicking the ball over the bar a talent you are born with.

I like your suggestion to bring in a coach for this purpose, that would improve things but hard and unglamorous work required for this is not part of our DNA and that needs to change.
In short whether we like it or not the "fancy dan"culture must come to an end.
Are you joking here? If not u should be banned from ever commenting on football again. Not just on the internet either, in your local pub, at the gaa field, on public transport and anywhere gaa is discussed.  :'(

Thats pretty aggressive language you're using there, perhaps you might explain yourself.

Stop deflecting from the fact that you on here trying to rectify the ills in Laois football while holding the opinion that you can coach defending but kicking a ball between two posts is a skill you are 'born with'. This statement discredits any other comment you will ever make on coaching or games development.

Laois fan

I tend to agree with him get a team fit and developing a defensive system is easily done,teaching lads to kick points from 40 yards is alot harder

Laois Laois

11-08-2017 (Fri)
Laois Shopping Centre Senior Football Championship Round 2 - Winners

O'Moore Park   19:30   The Heath v Graiguecullen

12-08-2017 (Sat)
Laois Shopping Centre Senior Football Championship Round 2 - Qualifier

O'Moore Park   16:30   Ballyfin Gaels v   Stradbally

O'Moore Park   18:00   Ballylinan v St Josephs
O'Moore Park   19:30   O'Dempsey's  v   Portlaoise         

13-08-2017 (Sun)
Laois Shopping Centre Senior Football Championship Round 2 - Qualifier

O'Moore Park   12:00   Crettyard Gaels   v Clonaslee St Manmans Gaels
O'Moore Park   13:30   Loser Portarlington / Arles Killeen v Mountmellick Gaels
O'Moore Park   17:30   Arles Kilcruise v   Killeshin

O'Moore Park   19:00   Winner Portarlington / Arles Killleen v Ballyroan Abbey

OTF

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on July 31, 2017, 03:27:02 PM
Quote from: OTF on July 31, 2017, 09:22:19 AM
Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on July 31, 2017, 12:18:50 AM
Quote from: OTF on July 30, 2017, 03:22:05 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on July 30, 2017, 10:23:27 AM
I agree Butch, he was, but where would he enjoy that sort of freedom outside of Laois? This is a big part of problem. Work without the ball and tackling. I have no preference for a coach, but I think we need Mick Dempsey to come and teach us some things. Our defending is pathetic
We've had this discussion more than once HF and the good news is tackling and good defending can actually be thought as opposed to kicking the ball over the bar a talent you are born with.

I like your suggestion to bring in a coach for this purpose, that would improve things but hard and unglamorous work required for this is not part of our DNA and that needs to change.
In short whether we like it or not the "fancy dan"culture must come to an end.
Are you joking here? If not u should be banned from ever commenting on football again. Not just on the internet either, in your local pub, at the gaa field, on public transport and anywhere gaa is discussed.  :'(

Thats pretty aggressive language you're using there, perhaps you might explain yourself.

Stop deflecting from the fact that you on here trying to rectify the ills in Laois football while holding the opinion that you can coach defending but kicking a ball between two posts is a skill you are 'born with'. This statement discredits any other comment you will ever make on coaching or games development.

I'll comment on this forum on what and as often as I wish and you or anyone else well not dictate to me what I am qualified to comment on. My comments are my own opinion and I most certainly am not trying to impose them on anyone or indeed for anyone to take them serious
Now have I hit a raw nerve here or are you trying to tell me that you are involved in coaching and development and you are the expert here and I know nothing..... and you know what you could be right. Either way I don't give s**t.

SpeculativeEffort

I'm telling you that your thinking is flawed if you believe defending can be coached but attacking cant. Tell that to German FA 20 years ago who put structures in place to develop skilled players. Now they have two squads of quality playing an attractive brand of football and are the standard bearers on an international level. Bet they regret not hiring Jack Charlton instead.
What we should be doing with urgency is putting coaches in place to develop as many u6,8,10s that are well balanced, have good functional movement and using left and right sides equally. Maybe in 10-15 years we would have a team playing quality football.

Unlaoised

Few tasty draws...

O'Dempseys will fancy a craic at the Town

Stradbally will be relieved to have drawn Ballyfin

The same for the looser of Killeen and Port v Mountmellick

Joes v Ballylinan could be a cracker.

The Heath and graigue has potential.

Clonaslee and crettyard will love getting each other...(crettyard always seem to get favourable draws sometimes even byes)

Kilcruise will be worried about Killeshin its a tricky tie.

Ballyroan won't care who they play ....

Predictions

The Town
Graigue
Killeen to win both games
Joes

The little Town
Crettyard
Port to beat m.mellick after another replay ;-)
Killeshin to upset Kilcruise
LAOIS ABÚ

OTF

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on July 31, 2017, 10:55:49 PM
I'm telling you that your thinking is flawed if you believe defending can be coached but attacking cant. Tell that to German FA 20 years ago who put structures in place to develop skilled players. Now they have two squads of quality playing an attractive brand of football and are the standard bearers on an international level. Bet they regret not hiring Jack Charlton instead.
What we should be doing with urgency is putting coaches in place to develop as many u6,8,10s that are well balanced, have good functional movement and using left and right sides equally. Maybe in 10-15 years we would have a team playing quality football.
[/quote

Attacking play yes , I agree can be coached but that's not what I posted.
For example could Kevin Meaney be turned in Donie Kingston in my opinion no, no matter how much coaching he gets because he doesn't have the natural ability. You could however turn for example Damian O Connor and Garrett Dillon into defenders.
Look at the Mayo for the last 30 years any amount of good footballers why aren't they able to convert or coach a few finishers from that amount of talent. Because imo they didn't have or dont have enough natural ability to work with in the first place.
High fielder is of the opinion that we don't have natural defenders and I believe defending can be coached. My post was replying in that context.
I agree with the remainder of your post.

High Fielder

I don't want want to stir the pot here, but defensive play in my opinion is a skill that can't be coached into a lad quickly. The fundamentals have to be in place first and bar Healy and one or two others, not many have them in Laois. I don't think any of the current panel are defensively sound, not even one. That for me is a massive problem for Laois just now

redsetanta

Do you mean defensively sound or don't work hard enough. Healy always gives everythin he's  got. Thats what makes him differemt. I'm not saying he doesn't have talent and skill but lads could learn a lot about his effort.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: redsetanta on August 02, 2017, 01:04:08 AM
Do you mean defensively sound or don't work hard enough. Healy always gives everything he's got. That's what makes him different. I'm not saying he doesn't have talent and skill but lads could learn a lot about his effort.

Unfortunately Healy has done the cruciate and will be out for this year by the looks of things.
http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/08/01/cruciate-injury-confirmed-healy-faces-long-spell-sidelines/
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Unlaoised

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on August 02, 2017, 01:44:29 AM
Do you mean defensively sound or don't work hard enough. Healy always gives everything he's got. That's what makes him different. I'm not saying he doesn't have talent and skill but lads could learn a lot about his effort.

Unfortunately Healy has done the cruciate and will be out for this year by the looks of things.
http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/08/01/cruciate-injury-confirmed-healy-faces-long-spell-sidelines/

What is it with Laois hurlers and Cruciate's its getting to be a farce at this stage.
LAOIS ABÚ

Don Draper

Quote from: Unlaoised on August 02, 2017, 11:22:21 AM
Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on August 02, 2017, 01:44:29 AM

What is it with Laois hurlers and Cruciate's its getting to be a farce at this stage.
How many have we had over the past 2 years?
Mark Kavanagh (x2)
Cahir Healy
Tom Delaney

Any others?

redsetanta

Did Picky do his cruciate?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

The PRO

Mountmellick, Arles, Clonaslee and Ballyfin to battle to avoid the drop in my opinion.

town1980

I tend to agree clonaslee v ballyfin with clonaslee going down