The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: haranguerer on February 25, 2019, 12:18:51 PM
Quote from: LCohen on February 24, 2019, 09:35:34 AM
Quote from: trailer on February 24, 2019, 09:15:57 AM
Quote from: Seany on February 23, 2019, 06:29:44 PM
Colm Eastwood spoke at the Fianna Fáil Ard Fheis today and for his greatest ovations when he criticized SF for their abstentionnistes policy and for having the audacity to suggest that a referendum on irish unity should be a consideration after Brexit. Do they really think that this sort of rhetoric is going to drive SF voters in their droves and into the arms of the SDFF 'understanding',  This sort of nonsense drives northern nationalists up the walls.  it is just the very self same thing that will lose them even more voters. Those to parties are connected by only one thing and that is their hatred for Sinn Fein.

SF have created a two party sectarian state in NI. They think the election results in the North are an honest reflective of their popularity. The recent Presidential election showed were they are. A protest vote

The DUP and SF votes are protest votes that are encouraged by the D'Hondt/Jefferson system. Nationalists are encouraged to vote SF to prevent a DUP FM. And vice versa

Really???

Yes

LooseCannon

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 25, 2019, 11:24:11 AM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on February 23, 2019, 06:51:18 PM
Colm Eastwood spoke at the Fianna Fáil Ard Fheis today and for his greatest ovations when he criticized SF for their abstentionnistes policy and for having the audacity to suggest that a referendum on irish unity should be a consideration after Brexit. Do they really think that this sort of rhetoric is going to drive SF voters in their droves and into the arms of the SDFF 'understanding',  This sort of nonsense drives northern nationalists up the walls.  it is just the very self same thing that will lose them even more voters. Those to parties are connected by only one thing and that is their hatred for Sinn Fein.

SDLP are a busted flush now....but what gets me is SF voters who see no wrong in their party.....a party that endorsed Tory austerity and awarded PIP assessment contracts to Capita.
I vote SF, but do not agree with all that they do and would love the chance to vote for a proper nationalist party without the baggage associated with memorials etc... The SDLP though criticise SF for not rolling over on the assembly, I don't want nationalists to go into Stormont without proper recognition of our rights as Irish citizens and equality for all that it embraces, which is the problem I have with the SDLP.

You do realise that the SDLP are the only party to date that have a plan as to what an Irish Language Act would look like and how it would be implemented. It's all soundbites and spin from the Shinners. Check out Mick Fealty's tweets.

trailer

Quote from: Seany on February 25, 2019, 11:58:27 AM
If I was advising the SDLP, I would tell them to Green up.  Now that they have embraced FF, they need to accept that the Social Democracy element of their party is gone and they need to be working for and planning towards a United Ireland.  They need to be at one voice with SF on Stormont, Brexit and DUP dysfunction and be very clear that under the current situation, they two could not countenance going back into the Executive. And they certainly need to stop the complete nonsense on abstenstionism. When the election comes, nationalists are then clear that both their parties are at one voice on the national question, therefore it comes down to a vote on who is the better candidate.  The current SDLP approach is just plain ridiculous.  Nobody, including themselves really have a clue what they are about, so it becomes a vague 'Get back into Stormont' rant that makes no acknowledgement at all towards the issues that got us to where we are.  The other thing that keeps them going is that they spend their time 'marking' SF and making counter statements nit picking the SF approach and not offering one pragmatic idea themselves.

Why don't you go and read the proposals that the SDLP have published, rather than spouting incoherent SF gibberish.

Chief

Quote from: trailer on February 25, 2019, 09:13:22 PM
If I was advising the SDLP, I would tell them to Green up.  Now that they have embraced FF, they need to accept that the Social Democracy element of their party is gone and they need to be working for and planning towards a United Ireland.  They need to be at one voice with SF on Stormont, Brexit and DUP dysfunction and be very clear that under the current situation, they two could not countenance going back into the Executive. And they certainly need to stop the complete nonsense on abstenstionism. When the election comes, nationalists are then clear that both their parties are at one voice on the national question, therefore it comes down to a vote on who is the better candidate.  The current SDLP approach is just plain ridiculous.  Nobody, including themselves really have a clue what they are about, so it becomes a vague 'Get back into Stormont' rant that makes no acknowledgement at all towards the issues that got us to where we are.  The other thing that keeps them going is that they spend their time 'marking' SF and making counter statements nit picking the SF approach and not offering one pragmatic idea themselves.

Why don't you go and read the proposals that the SDLP have published, rather than spouting incoherent SF gibberish.

This is the perfect articulation of the SDLPs problem. Someone has gone to the hassle to outline what it would take to make them pick the SDLP the next time they enter the ballot box. The response (from people who I assume are sympathetic to the SDLP)  is to 1) Preach at them 2) Illustrate how badly the SDLP are at promoting their own policies (Note: Political parties "sell" their vision to the electorate - they do not "instruct" them to go read their proposals)

trailer

Quote from: Chief on February 25, 2019, 09:39:45 PM

This is the perfect articulation of the SDLPs problem. Someone has gone to the hassle to outline what it would take to make them pick the SDLP the next time they enter the ballot box. The response (from people who I assume are sympathetic to the SDLP)  is to 1) Preach at them 2) Illustrate how badly the SDLP are at promoting their own policies (Note: Political parties "sell" their vision to the electorate - they do not "instruct" them to go read their proposals)

The detailed policies are there but it's now the SDLP's fault people can't be arsed to go and read the information they actually want. They want someone to read it for them and summarise it on a GAA board for them.
They complain the information isn't there when it is then take offence when their own laziness is pointed out.

Chief

Quote from: trailer on February 25, 2019, 09:46:45 PM
Quote from: Chief on February 25, 2019, 09:39:45 PM

The detailed policies are there but it's now the SDLP's fault people can't be arsed to go and read the information they actually want. They want someone to read it for them and summarise it on a GAA board for them.
They complain the information isn't there when it is then take offence when their own laziness is pointed out.

I like lists so:

1) Yes it is the SDLP's fault people don't read their policies.Who else's fault would it be? Just so it's completely clear,  it's the responsibility of political parties who are seeking public office to "sell" their policies to the demos. Especially when you have less activists that the main opposition. This is literally Politics 101.
2) Yes people want summaries - what amount of people do you ever think read full manifestos before voting? I'd guess a third of people if your lucky. Therefore in order to help the people make a decision you help make the decision simple for them - think "It's The Economy Stupid", "Yes We Can", "Make America Great Again", "Tiocfaidh ar la", "Take Back Control" etc etc
3) Yes a lot of people are lazy when it come to political analysis  - know your audience and adapt accordingly - see point 2
4) When someone is motivated enough to suggest a strategy that will attract them to a party they want to be listened to, not preached at - see points 2 and 3 (FYI this also helps explain some of SF's problems down south.
5) People aren't complaining that information isn't out there, they are complaining they don't know what the SDLP stands for - see points 2 -5

johnnycool

Quote from: LooseCannon on February 25, 2019, 08:54:35 PM

SDLP are a busted flush now....but what gets me is SF voters who see no wrong in their party.....a party that endorsed Tory austerity and awarded PIP assessment contracts to Capita.
I vote SF, but do not agree with all that they do and would love the chance to vote for a proper nationalist party without the baggage associated with memorials etc... The SDLP though criticise SF for not rolling over on the assembly, I don't want nationalists to go into Stormont without proper recognition of our rights as Irish citizens and equality for all that it embraces, which is the problem I have with the SDLP.

You do realise that the SDLP are the only party to date that have a plan as to what an Irish Language Act would look like and how it would be implemented. It's all soundbites and spin from the Shinners. Check out Mick Fealty's tweets.

Mick hates the Shinners every bit as much as the likes of RDE and the Sindo ilk and is blinded by that.

If the Shinners don't have an ILA and a plan to implement it then what did the DUP team agree to take back to their party/OO/Jamwie Bwyson and Co for ratification?

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: johnnycool on February 26, 2019, 10:46:11 AM
Quote from: LooseCannon on February 25, 2019, 08:54:35 PM

Mick hates the Shinners every bit as much as the likes of RDE and the Sindo ilk and is blinded by that.

If the Shinners don't have an ILA and a plan to implement it then what did the DUP team agree to take back to their party/OO/Jamwie Bwyson and Co for ratification?

It was a useless ILA about as watered down as you could get and still wasnt acceptable to the UDA oops i mean unionists. As for Featly as much as I like his site he himself is odd and cerainly doesnt have much time for nationalism. I dont know if he is just playing devils advocate or feels he needs to make up for an imbalance on his site that doesnt actually exist. I dont know.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Mark Durcan wtf  ::)

playwiththewind1st

Any ould job will do, with any party.

grounded

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on March 04, 2019, 02:55:51 PM
Mark Durcan wtf  ::)

Well that was unexpected.  A massive coup for fine gael, timed perfectly after the sdlp/fianna fail partnership last month.
           Seems like the call went out to abandon ship and the former captain jumped first. Sad. Sad for the legacy of John Hume and the party he helped build.

omaghjoe

Strange move and it looks to be the end of the SDLP

I thought durkan a decent skin but for a supposed nationalist to join Fine Gael it doesnt reflect well Imo

Strange that the stoops are falling over themselves to join FF & FG I would always thought that Labour wudda been more natural bedfellows. But on the other hand it was a badly kept secret that SDLPs position on the left was more a hangover from their foundation and not reflective of the present day middle class base.

Walter Cronc

Surely more middle class nationalists support SF than SDLP?

thewobbler

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 05, 2019, 08:29:41 AM
Surely more middle class nationalists support SF than SDLP?

Probably true of the  midde class nationalists who can be arsed to vote.

Which is the same thing, I suppose.

trailer

This is bad news for SDLP. Who knows where they go from here. They should've just bit the bullet and threw all in with FF. At this rate there'll be nothing left for FF to take over.