2020/21 All Ireland Football Championship

Started by Angelo, June 06, 2020, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

I know I'm probably in a minority of one here but I think it's crazy to be completing the national leagues.

Essentially what they want to do is promote or relegate teams based on games from which individual players may, for their own reasons, want or have to opt out in order to protect themselves or vulnerable family members from the virus.

Given that the football league will for some counties determine their 2021 championship status, I think it's outrageous to put them under pressure to play.

Blowitupref

Quote from: five points on June 20, 2020, 08:41:30 AM
I know I'm probably in a minority of one here but I think it's crazy to be completing the national leagues.

Essentially what they want to do is promote or relegate teams based on games from which individual players may, for their own reasons, want or have to opt out in order to protect themselves or vulnerable family members from the virus.

Given that the football league will for some counties determine their 2021 championship status, I think it's outrageous to put them under pressure to play.

Providing no 2nd wave the GAA inter-county 2020 season will re-commence in October. Starting off with where it stopped in March (round 6 of the NFL) is hardly crazy or putting players under pressure and especially if the players have come through their county club season without any problems. I'd expect less opt outs in that situation.

If the cases spike up again in the autumn I don't think players will be put under pressure as a decision at the top will be made to halt the season once more.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eire90

Provincial boards will moan so they probably wont be a open draw i think provincials are outdated should only exists at club tho personally i look at ditching them at club level too and having the 32 county champions in an open draw.

Eire90

The GAA Have the opportunity for something special but probably wont do it as they are afraid it will be a success

dublin7

Quote from: Eire90 on June 22, 2020, 01:39:23 PM
The GAA Have the opportunity for something special but probably wont do it as they are afraid it will be a success

That could actually be true. Provincial councils probably think the system has worked for the last 100 years so they don't need to change it.

With no backdoor for football mooted why would alot of county teams even bother training? Leinster & Munster are turkey shoots so what's the incentive for the players from these counties to kill themselves training?

Blowitupref

Quote from: dublin7 on June 22, 2020, 06:54:05 PM

That could actually be true. Provincial councils probably think the system has worked for the last 100 years so they don't need to change it.

With no backdoor for football mooted why would alot of county teams even bother training? Leinster & Munster are turkey shoots so what's the incentive for the players from these counties to kill themselves training?

Before 2001 we had straight knock out championship football. U20 championship is currently that way.

The return to county football in October will likely include the 2 remaining NFL games so 3 guaranteed games for every team. I think Tailteann Cup is shelved until 2021 not that alot of counties likely involved was overly keen about that competition anyway.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

dublin7

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 22, 2020, 07:23:08 PM

Before 2001 we had straight knock out championship football. U20 championship is currently that way.

The return to county football in October will likely include the 2 remaining NFL games so 3 guaranteed games for every team. I think Tailteann Cup is shelved until 2021 not that alot of counties likely involved was overly keen about that competition anyway.

Training/commitment required in 2020 is alot more demanding than it was in 2001. Also if the championship is extended to December as suggested then county player will have virtually no off season as they'll be back training for the new season in Jan 2021

Blowitupref

Quote from: dublin7 on June 22, 2020, 07:53:27 PM

Training/commitment required in 2020 is alot more demanding than it was in 2001. Also if the championship is extended to December as suggested then county player will have virtually no off season as they'll be back training for the new season in Jan 2021

If all goes to plan and the championship is played this calendar year I can imagine some time off will be place before the 2021 season commences.

dublin7

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 22, 2020, 08:56:00 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on June 22, 2020, 07:53:27 PM

If all goes to plan and the championship is played this calendar year I can imagine some time off will be place before the 2021 season commences.

Try telling that to county managers! You can almost guarantee there will be county panels back training in January. The GAA don't have enough space in the calendar to move back the league/championship for any significant length of time anyway. Even if they drop the pre-season competitions like the O'Byrne cup you're only talking about a few weeks that county managers will use for training anyway

Eire90

why would you not be excited with limerick v wicklow a chance for both of them to advanced to the last 16 maybe potentially get a draw against another lower ranked team the way some fans go on you think they just want to see the same teams play each other over and over.

dublin7

Quote from: Eire90 on June 24, 2020, 04:06:10 PM
why would you not be excited with limerick v wicklow a chance for both of them to advanced to the last 16 maybe potentially get a draw against another lower ranked team the way some fans go on you think they just want to see the same teams play each other over and over.

An open draw on a knock out basis could generate alot of novel draws like you suggest and could generate alot of interest. One thing the GAA isn't good at though is change so expect the same tired and out of date formula for the draw or championship

Captain Obvious

Quote from: dublin7 on June 24, 2020, 07:42:55 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on June 24, 2020, 04:06:10 PM

An open draw on a knock out basis could generate alot of novel draws like you suggest and could generate alot of interest. One thing the GAA isn't good at though is change so expect the same tired and out of date formula for the draw or championship

I doubt any other team sport in the world changes its formats, playing rules as much as GAA football has over that last two decades.

Rossfan

Will all games in this year's "Blitz" be finish on the day??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM