Hurling championship 2018

Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 15, 2018, 09:54:47 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 15, 2018, 10:22:08 AM
Quote from: The Wedger on May 14, 2018, 07:42:31 PM
How many steps was Liam Rushe allowed to take for the Dublin goals?
The game is becoming a mess to referee.

Initially it looked like the referee was going to call out the pulling and dragging and was awarding frees for it, but as the game wore on the ref reverted to type and then allowed the arm across "tackle" and the odd spurious hit.
Overcarrying is linked to pulling and dragging and both need refereed consistently to bring the tackle back to some semblance of normality.

Maybe the crowd moaning everytime he blew for a free had an affect on him, but Wille Barretts words the other day haven't made it onto the field of play as yet.
Good to see someone talking sense and not blinded by the usual ' manly game' sh1te talk from certain hurling folk

Oh, I'm all for manly hurling, but putting the arm across someone's chest and neck isn't manly, it's cynical shit that needs outlawed.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on May 16, 2018, 10:24:49 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 15, 2018, 09:54:47 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 15, 2018, 10:22:08 AM
Quote from: The Wedger on May 14, 2018, 07:42:31 PM
How many steps was Liam Rushe allowed to take for the Dublin goals?
The game is becoming a mess to referee.

Initially it looked like the referee was going to call out the pulling and dragging and was awarding frees for it, but as the game wore on the ref reverted to type and then allowed the arm across "tackle" and the odd spurious hit.
Overcarrying is linked to pulling and dragging and both need refereed consistently to bring the tackle back to some semblance of normality.

Maybe the crowd moaning everytime he blew for a free had an affect on him, but Wille Barretts words the other day haven't made it onto the field of play as yet.
Good to see someone talking sense and not blinded by the usual ' manly game' sh1te talk from certain hurling folk

Oh, I'm all for manly hurling, but putting the arm across someone's chest and neck isn't manly, it's cynical shit that needs outlawed.
I was reading about soccer in Belgium. The difference between the top and next division. The latter is less tactical and more physical.
Maybe the JMC is the same.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Munster Championship Week 1 this Sunday. Looking forward to it, heading into the Gaelic Grounds for Tipp and Limerick. Weather is not going to be good it looks like, but it should be a good tussle. I'd actually expect Limerick to prevail in this one. The conditions will suit a high intensity game, and they have the hurlers to punish Tipperary.

Clare and Cork on as well this Sunday. Down in the park. Hard to know how this will go. I think Clare may have already peaked with this bunch a few years ago. Cork seem to be coming again, so I think they may have enough below in Cork.

Milltown Row2

Tipp should just get over the line, regardless of the venue, though if Tipp go into that lull they have ten they lose that momentum and in those games its very hard to get it back or slow down the other team..

What Cork team will show up? Clare well capable of beating them but not sure they know their best team, whereas Cork come Championship are a different team.. two very difficult games to predict TBH

But good viewing for the fans, hopefully the weather isnt the factor in the games considering how good the weather is at the mniute, its dry up till Sunday but saying some light showers, the ground should be hard enough so may not impact badly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 16, 2018, 11:11:45 AM
Munster Championship Week 1 this Sunday. Looking forward to it, heading into the Gaelic Grounds for Tipp and Limerick. Weather is not going to be good it looks like, but it should be a good tussle. I'd actually expect Limerick to prevail in this one. The conditions will suit a high intensity game, and they have the hurlers to punish Tipperary.

Clare and Cork on as well this Sunday. Down in the park. Hard to know how this will go. I think Clare may have already peaked with this bunch a few years ago. Cork seem to be coming again, so I think they may have enough below in Cork.

Tipp have serious firepower and a lot of the Limerick lads are new to this level and may take a game or two to find their feet. Forde and Callanan in the full forward line will need some watching, not to mention the McGraths as well. Still need a dog or two in there for the heavy lifting and Bonner Maher is a bit hit and miss ATM. Still think Tipp will do it by the odd point in 3. Limerick will still make the third or second spot theirs as you rightly point out that Clare seem to be reliant on a lot of the regulars still and they haven't really produced for a year or two.
I really don't rate Cork and think they've big holes in their defence which can be exploited like Waterford did in Croke Park last August.
If Conlan or Duggan are played close to the Cork goals, neither Cadogan or Cahalane will handle them in the air, problem is Shane O'Donnell is meant to be injured and he'd get goals feeding off either of those two lads and he's a big loss.
It's also hard to see Clare being as generous with the space afforded to the Cork forwards in the Munster final last year, really was crazy. Maybe they got caught up too much in counteracting Nash's puck outs that they left the back door open.

I think Clare will win on Sunday down in Cork but both will lose out to the other three at the final turn.

I just think Waterford, Limerick and Tipp have more at their disposal in terms of panels to see them through although Waterford doesn't seem to be a happy camp.

LooseCannon

Feck that, go to the Offaly game.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: johnnycool on May 16, 2018, 11:43:39 AM

Tipp have serious firepower and a lot of the Limerick lads are new to this level and may take a game or two to find their feet. Forde and Callanan in the full forward line will need some watching, not to mention the McGraths as well. Still need a dog or two in there for the heavy lifting and Bonner Maher is a bit hit and miss ATM. Still think Tipp will do it by the odd point in 3. Limerick will still make the third or second spot theirs as you rightly point out that Clare seem to be reliant on a lot of the regulars still and they haven't really produced for a year or two.
I really don't rate Cork and think they've big holes in their defence which can be exploited like Waterford did in Croke Park last August.
If Conlan or Duggan are played close to the Cork goals, neither Cadogan or Cahalane will handle them in the air, problem is Shane O'Donnell is meant to be injured and he'd get goals feeding off either of those two lads and he's a big loss.
It's also hard to see Clare being as generous with the space afforded to the Cork forwards in the Munster final last year, really was crazy. Maybe they got caught up too much in counteracting Nash's puck outs that they left the back door open.

I think Clare will win on Sunday down in Cork but both will lose out to the other three at the final turn.

I just think Waterford, Limerick and Tipp have more at their disposal in terms of panels to see them through although Waterford doesn't seem to be a happy camp.

Clare were in the game against Cork right to the end last year.  This was despite the shite hawking with puckouts etc and giving up a soft goal.  If they play their own game and keep it up for longer spells than they did in the League then they can win.   They played Wexford last week and apparently were very dynamic.

They are also very focused on home games.  Limerick have to come to Ennis in last game.  If Clare are still in the mix at that stage Limerick will be hard-put to beat them.

I think Clare v. Waterford might be a decider as to who ends up in bottom two.

That said it could be a group with surprising results and likely to go right to the wire.

/Jim.

seafoid

Offaly have a few nice hurlers. I hope the next few weeks go well for them because I think hurling has missed them over the last few years. A couple of years of progress could really bring them on.

johnnycool

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 17, 2018, 08:14:33 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 16, 2018, 11:43:39 AM

Clare were in the game against Cork right to the end last year.  This was despite the shite hawking with puckouts etc and giving up a soft goal.  If they play their own game and keep it up for longer spells than they did in the League then they can win.   They played Wexford last week and apparently were very dynamic.

They are also very focused on home games.  Limerick have to come to Ennis in last game.  If Clare are still in the mix at that stage Limerick will be hard-put to beat them.

I think Clare v. Waterford might be a decider as to who ends up in bottom two.

That said it could be a group with surprising results and likely to go right to the wire.

/Jim.

I'd agree with that Jim, Clare lacked confidence to go head on at Cork or maybe Donal O'g, was trying to be too much of a smart arse with tactics;

http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/gerry-connor-ready-for-huge-year/

""That's what you are trying to replicate in training. Last year, we may have focused more on Cork than we did on ourselves." Clare's first provincial challenge this year is Cork in Pairc Ui Chaoimh."

seafoid

This is a big year for Tipp. They were very close last year

Ball Hopper

So who will be the bottom two in Munster?  Waterford will find it difficult to be in the top three, with no home games.  I think the loser of the Cork/Clare game could also be fourth at best...at a push I'd say Clare and Waterford to miss out.

Dublin and Offaly would be the most likely bottom two in Leinster.

What say the experts on here?

Milltown Row2

Armagh are plus twenty tomorrow v Derry, + 20!! Have I missed something?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

They covered the handicap by 1 beaten by 19.....

Farrandeelin

Must say that my initial anger has subsided regards the lack of football on tv. Looking forward to tomorrow. Tipp to win and a draw in the other one.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on May 19, 2018, 10:45:41 PM
They covered the handicap by 1 beaten by 19.....

I'm glad they did! I was at my sisters daughters communion today!back my previous winnings on Armagh +20! At half time Armagh were winning by 5 ! Money in the bank my arse! Weird game