Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on April 23, 2017, 08:01:24 PM
i thought that todays win was very good when you consider the players that have retired/injured/wont commit to the team. We pulled away in the 3rd quarter when the game was in the balance, and responded very well to the first goal. There are a few obvious conclusions out of todays game
1)Regardless of where cha is played he is by and far our best player and i would argue is more important to the team now than willie hyland/keenan ever were to laois
2)Rowland for all the talent in the world as a shop stopper is always in danger of making poor mistakes, also i dont think his puckouts are very accurate, but length wise cannot be dismissed, fleming would probably be a less spectactular but less error prone keeper
3)Having lads on the bench that are subs/on 2nd teams of senior clubs must be a massive slap to lads from senior b/inter/junior clubs, i know they are young and probably with the u21s but if you couldnt make your club team the year before you shouldnt be getting within an asses roar of the squad, they had young harnett on the bench too which was nice and he has played fitzgibbon wit CIT and Senior B with Ballyfin last year as a gales player from Mountmellick so hopefully the gales teams unearths a few more, because having subs from club teams on the bench is a bad reflection.

Overall a good win and hopefully more to come

On your third point - just looking through the subs, I can only see one player who matches that description - Brian Corby. Good young player and probably doing well with the U21s. He is only out of minor so couldn't have played senior yet, it is not that he is of lesser quality than other lads. I would doubt that there are too many put out by it. By and large, our best hurlers are making themselves available for the team with the exception of Zane (as always).

Good and bad yesterday. We won with a very young team and a lot of lads got their championship debuts. Some of them did very well under the circumstances and arguably lifted the older lads. Cian Taylor, Lee Cleere, Sean Downey, Aaron Dunphy, Eanna Lyons and Eric Killeen all had debuts yesterday and the lads around them are all under 23 with few exceptions. We won't be complacent going to Meath next week, that's for sure and hopefully Roddy, Paddy Purcell and a few more that didn't really perform yesterday can show what they are made of. It was encouraging to see Ciaran Collier hurling well too. The biggest worry for me was that when Westmeath needed goals, we let them have them. Similar to what we saw against Kerry in both league matches. Have to shut down those spaces more effectively and track back on the runners from midfield.

BallyroanAbbey

On your third point - just looking through the subs, I can only see one player who matches that description - Brian Corby. Good young player and probably doing well with the U21s. He is only out of minor so couldn't have played senior yet, it is not that he is of lesser quality than other lads. I would doubt that there are too many put out by it. By and large, our best hurlers are making themselves available for the team with the exception of Zane (as always).

The likes of Joe Campion, Gearoid Burke, Dayne Peacock would be a few more, i do accept your point about Corby been with the u21s

blueandwhite1

Best of luck to Laois tomorrow. The wind will be important. Would love to see is with it in second half as it is forecast to get stronger towards evening.

blueandwhite1

Quiet on here.

Big win today against a Meath team with plenty of hurling in them. As always, room to improve but a 15 point win should see us into quarters. Hope Cahir recovers quickly. Thankfully Collier and Clere have come back and are flying as we are seriously low on options at the back.

If we can win in Kerry, I think that would be the first time we would win all 3 qualifiers. Big ask though as Kerry need the win more than we do. I feel we have improved a lot since the league so if we can throw off the shackles and defend tightly we can win. All about primary possession where we have struggled against them for the last 2 years.

G@@

Laois won today on a 3-25 to 2-13 scoreline. I thought Laois were on the back foot for the first twenty minutes and Meath were dictating the pace of the game. The injury to Healy looked nasty, hopefully he isn't too bad - he did walk off though which may be a good sign. From there on Laois took the game to Meath and rattled the net three times, Foyle was instrumental in breaking ball down for Purcell to run on to and bag his hat-trick.

The second half was going-through-the-motions stuff though and yet again we shipped two goals which is a big worry. The second goal for Meath was awful to concede. Hats off to Rowland though for saving the penalty later in the game. I was impressed with Cleere, King and Purcell today and Cha was very good also - but why is management taking him off with 10 minutes to go?.

Overall it has been a decent run through this round robin group and I didn't expect us to be going as well, running up big leads - however sitting back after going ahead and inviting other teams on to us is a massive, massive worry. Kerry in two weeks time down in Tralee will be an interesting test - I hope the lads get a win there and top the group, it's the least they deserve for all their hard work.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

blueandwhite1

In fairness, every time Meath rallied we pushed them back out to 15 points. With that wind it was never going to be easy in the second half. No doubt we need to continue to work on defence but the tracking back today was much better and we worked hard for turn overs.

The last day out they said that Cha was carrying a niggle and they took him off.

les Antiques

Didn't make yesterday but hope to make Tralee . What' was the extent of Healys injury ?
By all accounts Meath were riding on a crest of wave coming into the Laois Match so it's nice to turn them over  in such a convincing manner . Talking to a chap who was present in Navan yesterday and he said Laois were considerably more physical than Meath and capitalised on this throughout . 

burdizzo

I think Healy will certainly be out for the Kerry game. However, Ryan Mullaney mightn't be too long before he's back. Possibly not the Kerry game, but shortly after.

Clubber Lang

Hopefully Healy's injury doesn't prove too bad and can be back in time for Leinster first round proper game-if we qualify as is looking likely at the moment.

With Kerry facing the possibility of relegation if they lose I reckon it will be a ferocious battle in Tralee come the final group game. It would be very satisfying to relegate a bogey team of ours from both league and championship in the one season. I think there is every chance Westmeath beat Meath by a couple of points and with Kerry possessing a minus score difference the game could present Laois with an opportunity to showcase a ruthlessness and dispatch Kerry to Christy Ring for 2018. 

CruiseCigar

With the Leinster GAA Hurling Senior Championship Qualifier Group  round 3  coming up on 14th May 2017 and Laois v Kerry , thought i'd put up a link to some pictures from the relegation play off on 1/4/17.

http://laoisvkerryhurling010417.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/laois-v-kerry-allianz-hurling-league.html

now we just need to go to Tralee and get the win
Laoise abĂș

blueandwhite1

Quote from: CruiseCigar on May 02, 2017, 08:20:16 AM
With the Leinster GAA Hurling Senior Championship Qualifier Group  round 3  coming up on 14th May 2017 and Laois v Kerry , thought i'd put up a link to some pictures from the relegation play off on 1/4/17.

http://laoisvkerryhurling010417.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/laois-v-kerry-allianz-hurling-league.html

now we just need to go to Tralee and get the win

Thanks for sharing the pictures - it was some evening in fairness. Huge win but we should have been out of sight in normal time.

Laois will see this as an important game. There will be a huge sense of progress if we win and it will be deflating if we don't. Won't be easy. In terms of victories in the last 18 months or so it is 3-1 to Kerry so we need to redress the balance.

redsetanta

Any interviews i've heard or read the Laois lads are speaking about beating Kerry so they seem to be focussed on that task. It sounds like the players really want to go down there and beat them as they still owe them. As already mentioned it would be great to go into the quarter final with that win.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Beating Kerry would be nice, but in the grand scheme of things, apart from keeping a winning run going, and barring a trimming and results going against us, it will matter very little in a few weeks if we don't get over Offaly/Wexford. To that end, knocks need to be minded, and nobody rushed to perform. The focus should be on, getting what we need out of the game, and then awaiting the open draw.

redsetanta

Topping the groupp won't make any difference as it's an open draw and unless we are beaten by 13 points Kerry cannot overtake us on scoring difference. Meath would need to beat Westmeath by even more so we will be in the draw. They will still want to go for the win though just to prove a point to themselves more than anything else. That's what I hear from the interviews. Fair enough they're not going to be stupid in their pursuit of that so Cahir isn't going to have to hobble onto the field for the game.
For their own progression and confidence going into the quarters a win in Tralee is important.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

G@@

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=269784

Cahir's injury is worse than initially feared it seems which is bad news. We'd really need him in for the Wx/Oy game should we progress.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!