Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Well the i tried calling last night but he wasn't in, I have been talking with him a few times since last week and the fact that he's admitting he's depressed is a good start. He is getting help but the lack of sleep is really holding him back but hopefully things will sort themselves out. I couldn't believe when he told me the alcohol he was taking at night when alone in his house, assuming for comfort and to try and get him to sleep. He has stopped his drinking and i think if he can get his sleep sorted he can slowly get his head in a good place...

Thanks for all your concerns and help.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

stew

Quote from: muppet on November 28, 2016, 04:50:57 PM
This might make someone smile:

Made me smile that. Thanks Muppet.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

muppet

Quote from: stew on December 23, 2016, 12:43:03 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 28, 2016, 04:50:57 PM
This might make someone smile:

Made me smile that. Thanks Muppet.

Great.

Obviously I am not included in the last line.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

Banter Panther

Lads I continue to take Prozac daily, but I'm starting to wonder if the stress I put myself under at work is overriding my medication. Haven't felt 100% at times in the last couple of months.
'Donegal are a footballing superbug, with no obvious cure' - Joe Brolly 2013

From the Bunker

Quote from: Banter Panther on April 16, 2017, 11:34:03 PM
Lads I continue to take Prozac daily, but I'm starting to wonder if the stress I put myself under at work is overriding my medication. Haven't felt 100% at times in the last couple of months.

What do you work at? (No need for detail)

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Banter Panther on April 16, 2017, 11:34:03 PM

Talk to your doctor.  If your situation isn't one that responds to non-medical options (meditation, yoga, etc...), then upping the dosage or switching to a different medication might be an option.  Different anti-depressants work for different people.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Danish academic recommends 'A dose of negativity' :

Professor Svend Brinkmann's anti-self-help guide promises liberation through a dose of refreshing negativity based on Roman Stoic thought.

He argues for a return to civic virtues, duties and ethical obligations.

"Roman Stoics were the self-help authors of their day ... it's more important to be a decent human being than to be yourself all the time, to fulfil your obligations," he said.

"We need a language with which to talk about those aspects of life and I don't think the whole self-improvement/self-optimisation/self-development language is adequate."

Here are his seven tips for moving forward:

1. Cut out the navel gazing

2. Focus on the negative in your life

3. Learn to say "no"

4. Suppress your feelings

5. Sack your coach

6. Read a novel (not a self-help book or inspiring biography)

7. Dwell on the past
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Eamonnca1

Bump.

Daylight savings can take its toll on people. I seem to remember hearing about friends lost to suicide and there was a remarkable correlation with the time of year when the clocks change and the evenings are suddenly plunged into darkness.

under the bar

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 10, 2017, 10:34:13 PM
Bump.

Daylight savings can take its toll on people. I seem to remember hearing about friends lost to suicide and there was a remarkable correlation with the time of year when the clocks change and the evenings are suddenly plunged into darkness.

Hardly surprising in all honesty.  Leaving the office when it's pitch black is depressing at the best of times never mind if you've got other issues.

omaghjoe

Been looking into benefits of cold showers for various reasons but I keep seeing them mentioned as a great antidote for depression...

My own experience is that they are great for stress and energy levels and mental resilience which Im guessing these things could assist with depression too.

The theory is that the cold water stimulates all your nerve endings and therefore the brain, basically shocking it into life. Also linked to steady dopamine levels

Asal Mor

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 11, 2017, 06:11:55 PM
Been looking into benefits of cold showers for various reasons but I keep seeing them mentioned as a great antidote for depression...

My own experience is that they are great for stress and energy levels and mental resilience which Im guessing these things could assist with depression too.

The theory is that the cold water stimulates all your nerve endings and therefore the brain, basically shocking it into life. Also linked to steady dopamine levels
Could be something in it. I know a few people who swear by jumping into the sea in Salthill every morning as a cure. The cold showers could achieve the same effect with less hassle and discomfort.

Denn Forever

After the DUP deal with the Tories, 50 million pound over 5 years was allocated to mental health.  I don't think any of this has been distibuted nearly 6 months after the deal was made.  It's just sitting there and it doesn't require that Stormont is sitting.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2017/10/11/news/mental-health-funding-agreed-in-dup-tory-deal-must-be-released--1158932/

The kicker for me is that 150 million over 5 years is been allocated for the rollout of better Broadband.   :'( :'(
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Never beat the deeler

Just came across this article and thought it would be no harm to bump this thread.

January can be a long month for many at home and important to remember there are plenty of people willing and available to listen.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/life-after-death-remembering-galway-s-niall-donohue-1.3312466

One particular passage in the article resonated
QuoteEveryone's illness is their own, unique to each individual's context and make-up. What they share is a gradual whittling down of the sufferer's world, a closing-in of the frame surrounding the picture they see of their life. When they can't or won't share that picture with those around them, they feel themselves running low on options.

Hasta la victoria siempre

screenexile

Shit!!!!!

I saw a post on here like 5 minutes ago someone was looking for help and I didn't catch the name and they've now deleted their post. . . please put it back up. If you're anonymous maybe put your work problem on here there's lot's of people from lots of backgrounds who may be able to offer you advice or assistance with your problem.

On feeling the way you are talk to someone. You need to talk to anyone really and if your family and friends aren't an option call the Samaritans and maybe go see your GP to see if they can help.

There's always an option!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on February 15, 2018, 09:14:54 PM
Shit!!!!!

I saw a post on here like 5 minutes ago someone was looking for help and I didn't catch the name and they've now deleted their post. . . please put it back up. If you're anonymous maybe put your work problem on here there's lot's of people from lots of backgrounds who may be able to offer you advice or assistance with your problem.

On feeling the way you are talk to someone. You need to talk to anyone really and if your family and friends aren't an option call the Samaritans and maybe go see your GP to see if they can help.

There's always an option!

+1