HOW WOULD YOU VOTE IN A BORDER POLL?

Started by RedHand88, March 20, 2021, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you back unity if a border poll was held tomorrow?

Yes (Northerner)
No (Northerner)
Yes (Southener)
No (Southener)

general_lee

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 20, 2021, 04:58:30 PM
Would be interested in how many of the Yes (Northerner) are "with reservations" or would living "free" in a UI trump all reservations about finances, health service etc.
There was an interesting (two-part) article on slugger regarding "planning" apartheid with regards infrastructure in the north. It sets out the obvious disparity between east and west but also details further the disproportionate investment that has been made throughout our wee colony's history under unionist rule.
https://sluggerotoole.com/2021/03/18/tackling-northern-irelands-infrastructure-apartheid-part-1-the-problem/

Anyway, huge scope for investment once unity happens. Good driver for the economy with all the new and overdue rail links, motorways, dual carriageways and other infrastructure projects.

I also read on Twitter that the tories have sold off another 37 NHS surgeries, something the furhrer Bojo said he wouldn't do. NHS is slowly being privatised anyway, so the thought of losing it is becoming less worrying.

I also think it would be nice knowing that my taxes don't go towards nuclear war heads or a shady family of mutli-millionaires...

RedHand88

So at the minute it's 66% for southerners and 91% for northeners.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 20, 2021, 06:33:27 PM
Said it before and will say it again.
Any Irish person that votes against unity is an embarrassment to their country and an embarrassment as a person.
I think it's fair tos ay that a huge majority down south are in favour of a UI but fully realise that a lot of hard bargaining is needed before we can entertain any hopes of coming up with an arrangements,  federal states or otherwise, that would have any chance of success.
Putting a UI together is one thing but coming up with a solution that works is going to be far harder- if unity ever comes to pass.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tony Baloney

I'm a Yes but realise it comes with issues for the South as the North is massively reliant on cash from London and has a public sector making up about 30% of all employment.

imtommygunn

Boris will probably screw us out of stuff like that anyway.

armaghniac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 20, 2021, 09:13:54 PM
I'm a Yes but realise it comes with issues for the South as the North is massively reliant on cash from London and has a public sector making up about 30% of all employment.

There needs to hard bargaining to ensure that London cannot just f**k off and leave the place in a mess.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Angelo

Utterly vital in the success of a new state is resources and services that were privatised need to come back under the control of the state.

Utilities
Roads
Health
Housing
Etc
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: armaghniac on March 20, 2021, 09:41:02 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 20, 2021, 09:13:54 PM

There needs to hard bargaining to ensure that London cannot just f**k off and leave the place in a mess.

True, but at least we know they stick to their agreements once made.

sid waddell

Any Irish person that votes against unity is an embarrassment to their country and an embarrassment as a person.
That should be the campaign slogan

Maybe throw in "if you don't vote Yes you're a West Brit **** who should be shot" as well

Marketing material like that will be sure to win over the middle ground

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on March 20, 2021, 11:41:53 PM

Maybe throw in "if you don't vote Yes you're a West Brit **** who should be shot" as well

You're on roll sid, the whiskey must be flowing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lar Naparka

You are on song tonight, sid.
Maithiú

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 20, 2021, 09:01:07 PM
I think it's fair tos ay that a huge majority down south are in favour of a UI but fully realise that a lot of hard bargaining is needed before we can entertain any hopes of coming up with an arrangements,  federal states or otherwise, that would have any chance of success.
Putting a UI together is one thing but coming up with a solution that works is going to be far harder- if unity ever comes to pass.
No "hard bargaining" needs to be done.
We're not asking you for a favour so stop letting on that northerners need to grovel to the southerners as if you're gonna bail us out or something. The irony in that too though eh.
If and when it comes down to putting an X in the box, if any Irish person votes against unity they are an embarrassment.

GiveItToTheShooters

Good man, Sid.
I agree.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 21, 2021, 02:10:06 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 20, 2021, 09:01:07 PM
No "hard bargaining" needs to be done.
We're not asking you for a favour so stop letting on that northerners need to grovel to the southerners as if you're gonna bail us out or something. The irony in that too though eh.
If and when it comes down to putting an X in the box, if any Irish person votes against unity they are an embarrassment.
To whom? I can't see many southerners  who see the essence of Irishness being an aspiration for unity with no strings whatever attached. They would like to be allowed the right to have some say in their own future.

seafoid

It should be done in stages with Fermanagh rejoining first  because Fermanagh had voted allegiance to Dáil Éireann pre 1921.

Throne would be next , then Derry, followed by Armagh
Maybe Down could be digested in stages.

And Antrim, with Larne at the end.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU