All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aughafad

I wish commentators and fans a like would quit calling for black cards for neck high challenges!

It is never a black card!

RedHand88

Quote from: Aughafad on August 20, 2017, 06:15:03 PM
I wish commentators and fans a like would quit calling for black cards for neck high challenges!

+1

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on August 20, 2017, 06:13:15 PM
To paraphrase a shit clickbait website, this is the most Mayo year ever and that was the most Mayo match ever.

This team isn't just a Gaelic football team from an obscure, windswept county on the west coast, they are effectively the centre of Irish life any time they play. You just can't take your eyes off them.

They're a world class performance art troupe who make Philippe Petit's 1974 tightrope walk between the two towers of New York's World Trade Centre seem like a Sunday stroll down to the local corner shop to buy a newspaper and a packet of 20 Silk Cut.

They look to be in control, then they lose balance, then save themselves. But they always fall off in the end.

I'm from Dublin and even I can't take the drama.

I think I am genuinely in love with this Mayo team. They're like a beautiful alcoholic.

They break your heart time and again but you always hold out the hope they might just change. And every misdemeanour makes you love them more.

The only problem is they might turn you into an alcoholic while you hold out that hope.

I think Kerry will win the replay and put a cruel, horrible, puritanical stop to all this beautiful romantic nonsense.
Don'tcha remember the agonies of Charlie Redmond 90-94? Lost to Donegal. Heartbreak against Derry. Beaten by Mickey Linden.More than anyone could bear. The heartache.
And then they did it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

galwayman

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 20, 2017, 06:07:55 PM
Did O'Se make it inside the Kerry 45 at all? He kept Donaghy quiet in the air but Star still had a very good game. Surely to Christ Aiden could have been given ten minutes on the Kerry 40? Kerry were there for the taking an his direct running would have caused serious issues in an already porous defence.
Kept him quiet in the air? Was there even one high ball kicked in between them?
I would say when Kerry saw O Shea in there they fed Donaghy with low ball which he won every time yards in front.
So it depends on how you look at it.
AOS in there was a deterrent to Kerry kicking it in high I think.
Donaghy was influential tho

omagh_gael

Quote from: galwayman on August 20, 2017, 06:49:52 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 20, 2017, 06:07:55 PM
Did O'Se make it inside the Kerry 45 at all? He kept Donaghy quiet in the air but Star still had a very good game. Surely to Christ Aiden could have been given ten minutes on the Kerry 40? Kerry were there for the taking an his direct running would have caused serious issues in an already porous defence.
Kept him quiet in the air? Was there even one high ball kicked in between them?
I would say when Kerry saw O Shea in there they fed Donaghy with low ball which he won every time yards in front.
So it depends on how you look at it.
AOS in there was a deterrent to Kerry kicking it in high I think.
Donaghy was influential tho

There were a couple of times the ball went in high. Aiden won one clearly and made a good break up field. Aiden clearly affected Kerry's long ball tactic but, imo, stripped Mayo of far too much going forward.

Rossfan

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 20, 2017, 06:18:54 PM
Quote from: Aughafad on August 20, 2017, 06:15:03 PM

+1
+2.
Do those floots every just read the feckin rule?.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gabriel_Hurl

There's an incident here at 0:55 in -

https://www.facebook.com/officialgaa/videos/1481492158587189/

How was a penalty not awarded here? The Kerry defender clearly scrapes the ball away along the ground when he's lying down in the small square.

lenny

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 20, 2017, 06:12:06 PM
This Mayo side of the past 5 years or so will be the greatest to never win Sam.

What a game of football between 2 teams really going for it. And Micky Harte still tries to tell us that all these teams are just as defensive and negative as Tyrone. Micky, we have eyes of our own and we're not f**king stupid.

Syferus

Quote from: lenny on August 20, 2017, 07:14:17 PM

What a game of football between 2 teams really going for it. And Micky Harte still tries to tell us that all these teams are just as defensive and negative as Tyrone. Micky, we have eyes of our own and we're not f**king stupid.

Kerry are every bit as defensive as Tyrone, and usually do it to protect their shoddy FBs. It didn't work today so expect even more bunker dwelling on Saturday.

I do wonder sometimes what people are watching that they could think in 2017 that Kerry could be described as an attacking team. Probably the only two teams in Ireland that you could describe as attack-focused are Dublin (who regularly have 13 behind the ball, but have the conditioning and speed to break fast) and Roscommon. Everyone else plays the game not to lose.

BennyHarp

You clearly are.
That was never a square ball!!

Wildweasel74

Well Maybe roscommon should play some defensive football, save them a hammering

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on August 20, 2017, 07:17:31 PM

Kerry are every bit as defensive as Tyrone, and usually do it to protect their shoddy FBs. It didn't work today so expect even more bunker dwelling on Saturday.

I do wonder sometimes what people are watching that they could think in 2017 that Kerry could be described as an attacking team. Probably the only two teams in Ireland that you could describe as attack-focused are Dublin (who regularly have 13 behind the ball, but have the conditioning and speed to break fast) and Roscommon. Everyone else plays the game not to lose.
So what protection did Kerry give to their full back line today then?
Every ball that went into the Mayo ff line in the first half was 3 on 3 and sometimes 2 on 2 inside.
There was acres in there.

yellowcard

Best players on the field today:

Andy Moran
David Moran
Keith Higgins

In that order. Can't understand the bugging up of Donaghy performance. He was decent but certainly nowhere near as effective as the Sunday Game pundits would have you believe. Won a fair bit of easy possession though largely due to the fact that Aidan O Se has no sense of being able to man mark. I hope Rochford stops listening to David Brady and abandons that experiment next week.

lenny

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 20, 2017, 07:22:13 PM

You clearly are.

You clearly are if you believe the shite and propaganda Harte comes out with. Neither team today had anything like 14 or 15 men behind the ball which is a normal occurrence in Tyrone games.

thewobbler

What a game of football. There can't be many AISFs in which the lead changed hands so many times.

For Mayo, Boyle, Moran and Doherty were excellent. Vaughan was surprisingly good and Parsons his usual effective self. But Keith Higgins was extraordinarily good.

Kerry didn't have as many big performers. Crowley was good. Moran was very good. Geaney contributed well considering how close he was marked. Kelly's kickouts were superb.

Most of the moaning here is related to managers and the ref.

Was Fitzmaurice really caught out tactically? Mayo won maybe 40% of restarts, which is something they almost always win handsomely. They also never really got their running game going, and although this meant Andy saw more of the ball than normal, also gave Kerry some respite.

On the other side, I'd expect we will see Seamus, or else Barry Moran on the edge of the square come Saturday. The Aidan experiment saw mixed results but ultimately neither Geaney nor JOD laid hands on a breakdown the entire day. The point on nullifying Star isn't so much about nullifying him as the pair in the corners and that largely worked. From Mayo's perspective, Keegan, Seamie, DoC, CoC and and McLoughlin never really got going today. That Kerry forced a draw had much more to do with this than any managerial decision (though taking off Boyle was baffling).

I've little time for Maurice Deegan, but it's only fair to point to point out that you can't have a great game of football unless the referee contributes to it (i.e. by not influencing it).