All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trap

If mayo can ever win Sam there will be a million people at the homecoming.

thejuice

Sounded like a great game, sadly all my live streaming attempts failed. Had to listen to it on RTÉ. Who was this andy mcenaney that Bernard Flynn kept shouting about
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on August 20, 2017, 05:18:21 PM
Why are lads criticising Mayo management? Ok, I agree AOS at full back probably wasn't the right call but it's easy to say that now when who knows what would have happened if someone else was on him. He didn't win any high balls in or around the square so you could argue it worked in its main aim. Other than that what did they do that was questionable?

Taking Boyle off, not utilising AOS, Loftus being left off so long. I think they were things he got wrong. From what I've seen of Stephen Coen, he's not up to it, definitely not now anyway.

galwayman

Quote from: clarshack on August 20, 2017, 05:19:25 PM
Deegan played 30 secs over the allocated injury time at the end of the 1st half giving Kerry one more attack, then only played 18 secs over the 5 additional mins in the 2nd half when Mayo were about to go on the attack. What about all the subs and stoppages in injury time itself? Should have been time for at least one more attack.
An AI semi final is level with the allotted time up - every referee in the country will blow it up!
Half time is a different kettle than full time.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Zulu on August 20, 2017, 05:18:21 PM
Why are lads criticising Mayo management? Ok, I agree AOS at full back probably wasn't the right call but it's easy to say that now when who knows what would have happened if someone else was on him. He didn't win any high balls in or around the square so you could argue it worked in its main aim. Other than that what did they do that was questionable?

He won every ball in front of him so no need for him there. One time AOS was soloed around by Donohy and ended up on his arse. Positioning for first goal was awful.

dublin7

Quote from: clarshack on August 20, 2017, 05:19:25 PM
Deegan played 30 secs over the allocated injury time at the end of the 1st half giving Kerry one more attack, then only played 18 secs over the 5 additional mins in the 2nd half when Mayo were about to go on the attack. What about all the subs and stoppages in injury time itself? Should have been time for at least one more attack.

Rubbish. Mayo had the ball almost on their own endline. 5 min were up and it was a tied game. No ref is going to play on from there.

Mayo played the better football but Kerry just hung in there. David Moran was outstanding. Kerry FB line was a shambles. Donaghy didn't win any high balls but he pulled the strings for kerry all day. Clarke's kick outs were a disaster. Kerry more room to improve but have they got the players to come in the FB line

galwayman

gallsman

Vaughan cost Mayo a lot in that match and almost cost them it all.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Both full back lines vulnerable it would seem, and whoever can tighten up there the more should prevail in the replay.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Captain Obvious

I didn't see All Ireland winner in that game this afternoon. Both Tyrone and Dublin are way better in the defence and at the end of the day its good defences that wins championships. The replay should bring on Kerry they were very rusty today Mayo don't have much improving to do on that performance today. Deegan without doubt played for draw at least the replay might have a better ref now.

yellowcard

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 20, 2017, 05:19:46 PM
I think the lads who said Shane Enright is a good defender should come back to me and apologise.

Couldn't believe Fitzmaurice left him on for the full game.

JoG2

Immense contest, some battle between 2 superb teams. Replay should be more of the same and a great curtain raiser to Dublin blowing Tyrone clean out of the water on Sunday

bennydorano

I've been under the impression that Fitzmaurice was a shrewd enough tactician up until today, he'd nothing to offer bar a full court press on the Mayo kickouts, the rest of it was shambolic.

It's really  an unknown if the AOS experiment worked, but again it smacks of trying to outfox your opponent rather than playing to your own strengths, which is balls and i hate to see it.

Whishtup

I think that this is 1 replay too many for Mayo. Poor shooting towards the end was due to tiredness. They had the game clinching overlap near the end with 4-5 men advancing and kicked it to Kerry. Cursed.