Muineacháin v Dún na nGall - déja vu all over again 26/6

Started by babarino, June 12, 2016, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

bit of a blooper the keeper not taking the 55m free at the end,

Fuzzman

Congrats Donegal. They haven't gone away you know.
That match will do Donegal the world of good.
Sounds like they were the better side.
Will Neil McGee be back for the final v Cavan?

lenny

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 02, 2016, 08:33:58 PM
5 mins injury time seems a lot! Donegal two up.

Fancy Donegal to win Ulster now. They look impressive this year and they are tyrones bogey team.

Zulu

Probably too little given the arsing around in the modern game.

Beggan's radar was off tonight I think so maybe understandable they didn't put it his hands.

Schkite

Quote from: Zulu on July 02, 2016, 08:42:46 PM

Beggan's radar was off tonight I think so maybe understandable they didn't put it his hands.

As the lads on the radio said, the fact we created a chance means it was the right decision to play it short, but it sounds like they could have worked it a little more but the shot was slightly rushed at the end. I'd be interested to hear from anyone at the game what it looked like.

Sickening to come back so close and just get pipped like that. McCarron seemed to have a good impact off the bench and could have been brought in earlier, and I'm not sure why McKenna started instead of McCarthy after he had a good game last week.

omagh_gael

Neill McGee now free for the Ulster final. Big boost for them.

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on July 02, 2016, 08:47:56 PM

As the lads on the radio said, the fact we created a chance means it was the right decision to play it short, but it sounds like they could have worked it a little more but the shot was slightly rushed at the end. I'd be interested to hear from anyone at the game what it looked like.

Sickening to come back so close and just get pipped like that. McCarron seemed to have a good impact off the bench and could have been brought in earlier, and I'm not sure why McKenna started instead of McCarthy after he had a good game last week.
Technically speaking, to get pipped implies being ahead and getting "pipped" on the line.
I was hoping Beggan was given the kick, he was up for it. He either converts the long range or not, it has little do with him having found his range or confidence.
But converting that last chance would just have brought us to extra time. Sounded like a game that you'd just love to have been there as long as you were on the winning side. Though Nudie was saying Monaghan fans stayed the extra few minutes behind to applaud the team off the field.

Schkite

Quote from: Main Street on July 02, 2016, 10:23:54 PM
Quote from: Schkite on July 02, 2016, 08:47:56 PM

Technically speaking, to get pipped implies being ahead and getting "pipped" on the line.
I was hoping Beggan was given the kick, he was up for it. He either converts the long range or not, it has little do with him having found his range or confidence.
But converting that last chance would just have brought us to extra time. Sounded like a game that you'd just love to have been there as long as you were on the winning side. Though Nudie was saying Monaghan fans stayed the extra few minutes behind to applaud the team off the field.

Aye pipped not the right word to use there.

babarino

Just back from the game. Thought we were lucky to finish only 1 down. Overall it was a poor Monaghan performance tonight. Donegal won midfield and their passing and possession game was much more controlled.

Now it's the backdoor against Longford. Hopefully we get to HQ and play better.

J70

Always sweet to win against very evenly matched rivals who nonetheless have been a bogey team, both traditionally and recently.  :) As of yet, I'm reliant on what radio broadcast, in this case Highland, and written reports, but the consensus seems to be that we made very hard work of a game we dominated for large spells, especially in the first half. Malachy Clerkin reckoned the ref did us no favours, especially in the first half, but all academic now anyway.

This win is a big deal for this Donegal team, and while I doubt if anyone is thinking about September glory or even appearances, we at least will go into the Ulster Final full of confidence. Defensively, on the plus side, it sounds like we gave away a lot fewer scorable frees this week (presumably a reflection of our dominance of possession). On the other hand, Monaghan got two, and could easily have had three goals. Bad mistake from Lacey, according to the Highland commentary, for the one that hit the bar, while he made one or two other bad passes late on. Hopefully he'd a good game otherwise though.

For those who were there, I missed the couple of minutes where Monaghan got their first goal - it sounded, in retrospect, similar to one Tommy Freeman got against Down in 2012, with the free taken quickly while the defenders complained. Is that so? If so, bad for Donegal to get caught with their trousers down like that, and maybe a lesson to ease off on the bitching to the referee.

Sixth Ulster final in a row. Some achievement for this team, and the first time anyone has done it since the 60s.

timmyot501

Donegal played well and deserved to win and probably by a lot more. Monaghan were awful in the first half and 2 oppertune goals kept the game alive. In fairness our changes worked. Jack McCarran scored a few nice points and dermot malone worked his socks off. Conor boyle also played well when introduced.  And mccarthy was very unlucky with his superb lob that hit the crossbar.  In the end we could have won it or at least drawn the match. On the last free i think we did well. Beggan had missed a few and it was too far for mcmanus. Fair play to Kieran duffy for having a go. He wasn't far away at all and has landed a few this year. He was dead right to have a go from there. If he is in the same spot next week i say have another pop

babarino

Quote from: J70 on July 03, 2016, 01:42:49 AM
For those who were there, I missed the couple of minutes where Monaghan got their first goal - it sounded, in retrospect, similar to one Tommy Freeman got against Down in 2012, with the free taken quickly while the defenders complained. Is that so? If so, bad for Donegal to get caught with their trousers down like that, and maybe a lesson to ease off on the bitching to the referee.

I was at the back of the goals so had a very good view J70. It was as you say. Donegal players arguing with ref and linesman, Monaghan took advantage and registered an easy goal when the scoreboard wasn't looking good for us.

SouthDublinBro

Take Monaghan out of Clones and they seem to fall apart.

GrandMasterFlash

I wouldn't be Ciaran Whelan's biggest fan but he was spot on last night re Monaghan's defense. They were totally focused on tracking their man instead of trusting their instinct in situations where leaving your man to stop the opposition ball carrier would have fared better.. Trusting that if you go with the man making the run/on the ball that one of your fellow defenders/sweeper(s) will track your man. Donegal's ability to transition the ball quickly via clever lines of running exploited this on several occasions.

Playing rigidly to the system instead of your instinct or strength I suppose..

Fuzzman

Do you Monaghan lads think Donegal stepped it up a level or did ye fall back a step?
It's hard to decide from the brief highlights I saw but ye didn't seem to have the same intensity as other times.

Donegal seem to be very good in the last few years at making clever runs at different angles and causing distractions so that a player can get into a bit of space so he can get his shot away.
O'Reilly seems to be playing well and providing a constant scoring threat to help McBrearty.
MacNiallais seems to have given them another dimension too and will need a lot of watching in the final as he often scores goals.