The "PC Brigade" brigade

Started by Eamonnca1, August 15, 2017, 01:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

This is a gear grinder for me but it deserves a thread of its own.

"Political correctness" is a derogatory term dreamed up by right wingers to denounce every bit of progress we've made in advancing the cause of human dignity.

• Abolish slavery? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Desegregate races? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • End apartheid? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Stop being racist? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Stop being homophobic? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Marriage equality? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Be nice to immigrants? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Prevent refugees from drowning in the Mediterranean? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Can't smoke around your children? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Can't smoke in a pub? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Can't have a few pints before you drive? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Can't hunt foxes with hounds? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Can't execute people anymore? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • People upset about the Angelus on RTE? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Can't force atheists to pray? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • We have to treat women as human beings? "Political correctness gone mad!"

Newsflash: Times change. Values change. Stuff that was tolerated 100, 50, or only 10 years ago isn't tolerated anymore. This is the way of things. You can yap and whinge and cry about it all you like, but you can either change with the times or squeal like a spoiled brat every time we make a bit of progress and build a better society. If we listened to the "PC brigade" brigade we'd still be sending children up chimneys to clean them from the inside and locking single mothers up in Magdalene laundries.

Away and dry your eyes, you whinging shower of apes!

Gmac

U started a thread to whinge and be careful who u are calling ape that's not very pc and could be misinterpreted by some of our sensitive posters.

whitey

I love it when we get so PC that the PC brigade are out PCd

https://extranewsfeed.com/what-is-white-feminism-8f376360a59

As it related to the womens protest march after Trump got elected

"3. White feminism reflected the lack of internalization of intersectionality, which allows for counter-concepts and false equivalencies like #AllLivesMatter and #NotAllMen to exist."

Theyll keep going around in circles until they end up where they started

Franko

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 15, 2017, 01:37:14 AM
This is a gear grinder for me but it deserves a thread of its own.

"Political correctness" is a derogatory term dreamed up by right wingers to denounce every bit of progress we've made in advancing the cause of human dignity.

• Abolish slavery? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Desegregate races? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • End apartheid? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Stop being racist? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Stop being homophobic? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Marriage equality? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Be nice to immigrants? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Prevent refugees from drowning in the Mediterranean? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Can't smoke around your children? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Can't smoke in a pub? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Can't have a few pints before you drive? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Can't hunt foxes with hounds? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Can't execute people anymore? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • People upset about the Angelus on RTE? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • Can't force atheists to pray? "Political correctness gone mad!"
  • We have to treat women as human beings? "Political correctness gone mad!"

Newsflash: Times change. Values change. Stuff that was tolerated 100, 50, or only 10 years ago isn't tolerated anymore. This is the way of things. You can yap and whinge and cry about it all you like, but you can either change with the times or squeal like a spoiled brat every time we make a bit of progress and build a better society. If we listened to the "PC brigade" brigade we'd still be sending children up chimneys to clean them from the inside and locking single mothers up in Magdalene laundries.

Away and dry your eyes, you whinging shower of apes!

I'm usually in agreement with you but you are calling people whingers here after having the mother of all whinges.  As they would say on your side of the pond, "the optics aren't great".

sid waddell

Stewart Lee's take on those who oppose political correctness really is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99s19HBs-6A

punt kick

Calling children spoilt little bastards for playing with their toys on Christmas Day - political correctness gone mad.  - Oh sorry that should never be tolerated!

AZOffaly

I was having an argument with someone about this at the weekend.

1 - Is forcing people to say 'Happy Holidays' rather than 'Happy Christmas' PC gone mad, or is it correct?
2 - Does that actually happen?

Someone was going on about this PC gone mad stuff, and he used this as a reference. I know some American's do that, but to be honest I think that's to reflect the Jewish Hannukah rather than anything else, and I don't think they are 'forced' to do it. In Ireland, I have never noticed anyone saying, or proposing we say, 'Happy Holidays'.

IS this PC gone mad, or  is it paranoia?

seafoid

Brexit and Trump released the restrictions on what goes for political discourse . There are an awful lot of racists , homophobes and mysogynists out there  . The economic situation doesn't help either.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2017, 11:56:52 AM

1 - Is forcing people to say 'Happy Holidays' rather than 'Happy Christmas' PC gone mad, or is it correct?

Someone was going on about this PC gone mad stuff, and he used this as a reference. I know some American's do that, but to be honest I think that's to reflect the Jewish Hannukah rather than anything else, and I don't think they are 'forced' to do it. In Ireland, I have never noticed anyone saying, or proposing we say, 'Happy Holidays'.

The term PC is oft misunderstood and misapplied.
PC does not go mad, it's people who go mad and abuse/disabuse PC, until it's no longer PC.

The solution is use both terms, happy holidays and happy christmas.
In Scandanavian countries both terms are used and interchangeable in usage by the same person or within the context of an exchange.
One can wish a person "happy christmas" and they may reply "happy holidays" without feeling in the least offended.

Lar Naparka

Well, it's both since basically they are the same. There are those who feel upset if anyone criticises the Traveller community in any way.

Some years ago a Fine Gael senator, Anne Devlin, produced a report that was highly critical of certain aspects of Traveller culture. That was 10+ years ago and I can't recall the reason for her conducting this report and I was waiting for the politically correct mouth pieces to have a field day.
Instead, it was comical to see the likes of Kevin Myers and other self-important journalists and their fellow travellers making tits of themselves as they were caught like a dog with one pee and two lamposts.

Y' see, Anne stated in unequivocal terms that women in Traveller circles are treated as second class by the males. No parity of esteem there. So the PC brigade were in a fix. There were two proverbial sacred cows there and both couldn't be milked at the same time.
Last year there was outrage for the PC faction when the French government banned the wearing of burkhas on public beaches. (I think I got that right.)Few if any of the loolas realised that the wearing of burkhas and veils and that sort of craic was because the women in question were regarded as sex chattels and nothing more. They were and are treated in much the same way as the Traveller women mentioned by Anne Devlin.
"Happy Holidays" gives me a pain in the butt. From what my lawyer nephew tells me its used because its not connected in any way to the religious beliefs of any sept or church.
It's quite safe to say that the langers and their Confederate regalia know about as much about Robert E. Lee as they do about Henry VIII; Beauregard Nelson or Horatio Nelson. "Who gives a phuck, boy?" is the most likely answer to any query on the subject from any Leesider..

Just using the latter to highlight a point: If the people of Cork felt sympathy for the white supremacists in Virginia or flew their Stars and Bars as an act of solidarity for the KKK's cause, it would be a different matter entirely.
I tend not to go around rising rows that I have no hope of winning.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

easytiger95

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 15, 2017, 01:52:32 PM

Well, it's both since basically they are the same. There are those who feel upset if anyone criticises the Traveller community in any way.

Some years ago a Fine Gael senator, Anne Devlin, produced a report that was highly critical of certain aspects of Traveller culture. That was 10+ years ago and I can't recall the reason for her conducting this report and I was waiting for the politically correct mouth pieces to have a field day.
Instead, it was comical to see the likes of Kevin Myers and other self-important journalists and their fellow travellers making tits of themselves as they were caught like a dog with one pee and two lamposts.

Y' see, Anne stated in unequivocal terms that women in Traveller circles are treated as second class by the males. No parity of esteem there. So the PC brigade were in a fix. There were two proverbial sacred cows there and both couldn't be milked at the same time.
Last year there was outrage for the PC faction when the French government banned the wearing of burkhas on public beaches. (I think I got that right.)Few if any of the loolas realised that the wearing of burkhas and veils and that sort of craic was because the women in question were regarded as sex chattels and nothing more. They were and are treated in much the same way as the Traveller women mentioned by Anne Devlin.
"Happy Holidays" gives me a pain in the butt. From what my lawyer nephew tells me its used because its not connected in any way to the religious beliefs of any sept or church.
It's quite safe to say that the langers and their Confederate regalia know about as much about Robert E. Lee as they do about Henry VIII; Beauregard Nelson or Horatio Nelson. "Who gives a phuck, boy?" is the most likely answer to any query on the subject from any Leesider..

Just using the latter to highlight a point: If the people of Cork felt sympathy for the white supremacists in Virginia or flew their Stars and Bars as an act of solidarity for the KKK's cause, it would be a different matter entirely.
I tend not to go around rising rows that I have no hope of winning.

I'd take issue with your points above. Firstly, ignorance is no defence. Some symbols cannot be separated from their meaning - for instance, there is red and white in the Nazi swastika - but none of them are used on GAA terraces. So, whilst we can ignorantly look at confederate flags and wax nostalgic about watching "the Dukes of Hazzard", it doesn't change the fact that they represent a huge and potent evil - slavery.

Secondly, even if we were to accept ignorance as an excuse back in the day, it is inconceivable now for anyone attempting to fly that flag in this country without being aware of the overtones, whether they agree that it represents it or not. And if they had any empathy they wouldn't fly it because of the distress or discomfort it could cause to people of colour, whether American, African or from other backgrounds.

That's just manners, which is all PC is - manners and concern for other people.

AZOffaly

But does the confederate flag symbolise slavery, or does it just symbolise the Southern States of the US, which included slavery. I'm not sure the Stars and Bars are a racist symbol in and of themselves, but obviously the rebels that flew it wanted to hold onto their secessionary status, and their slaves. Would the single star of the 'Bonnie Blue Flag' be deemed racist if it was flown?

The problem here, I believe, is not because they are flying a colourful flag which was used by the Army of Virginia in the civil war, and made famous in multiple movies and TV shows as part of the old South Yee Haw. It's because it's been taken over and used as a symbol of hate by the KKK and the Alt Right. That in itself is enough to disown it, as it does not have an official standing to fall back on, as a national flag would have.

AZOffaly

I  sometimes whistle Dixie. Am I a racist?

whitey

Sensitivity to differences that others may have is to be encouraged and embraced, but at what point does common sense kick in?

We could all find something to be offended every minute of every day if we so choose

In the grand scale of things if it makes you feel better that there's a "Holiday Tree Lighting" rather a "Christmas Tree Lighting" you need to take a serious look in the mirror.

Poor Mitt Romney hates women because he had binders full of qualified female candidates for top positions at Bain Capital

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2017, 02:51:55 PM
But does the confederate flag symbolise slavery, or does it just symbolise the Southern States of the US, which included slavery. I'm not sure the Stars and Bars are a racist symbol in and of themselves, but obviously the rebels that flew it wanted to hold onto their secessionary status, and their slaves. Would the single star of the 'Bonnie Blue Flag' be deemed racist if it was flown?

The problem here, I believe, is not because they are flying a colourful flag which was used by the Army of Virginia in the civil war, and made famous in multiple movies and TV shows as part of the old South Yee Haw. It's because it's been taken over and used as a symbol of hate by the KKK and the Alt Right. That in itself is enough to disown it, as it does not have an official standing to fall back on, as a national flag would have.
It symbolises an economic system that was based on slavery that the South went to war to defend. And they lost.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU