Underage Grades

Started by Seany, November 10, 2019, 08:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

What happens below under 13 if these proposals are accepted?  For instance our club has teams at U6, U8, U10 and U12.  do we change that as well to U11, U9, U7

Smokin Joe

Quote from: lurganblue on November 16, 2019, 08:36:08 AM
What happens below under 13 if these proposals are accepted?  For instance our club has teams at U6, U8, U10 and U12.  do we change that as well to U11, U9, U7

It's up to the counties to decide themselves below U13.
We've put a motion into Armagh convention this year suggesting that we operate U7.5, U9.5 and U11.5, which we thought was the best way to transition to U13.

marty34

Would U12, U14, U16 and U19 work?

Throw ball

Quote from: SkillfulBill on November 15, 2019, 09:07:01 PM
Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on November 15, 2019, 08:46:30 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 15, 2019, 08:28:21 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 15, 2019, 03:13:50 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 15, 2019, 12:54:39 PM
Dinny you've replied to my comments on why 17 year olds drop out of sport, by citing an article about an under-14 policy in a club falling down with players.

This is not the same thing.

There may be come correlation here, but unless Nemo are also keeping their stronger juvenile players on board as well, and playing junior football while their old teammates  "jump ahead" of them, then it's the same situation anyhow.

You were talking about teenagers when I quoted you not specifically 17 years old. I think your attitude is wrong and symptomatic of why clubs are struggling with numbers. Unless a kid is competitive at x, y, z age he won't play adult sport to me is simply mind boggling. Since when did playing sport solely become about winning? No wonder clubs are dying on their feet.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/493869/open-letter-a-young-player-s-view.html
Very hard to keep 16/17 year olds involved if there isn't some sort of ambition of winning games and competitions
Might as well be at home on the couch otherwise

Theres a difference between being competitive and winning. If skills have been developed properly from an early age then lads should be equipped to compete at u13/15/17/19. Doesnt mean they need to be winning everything but winning has to be possible. If they dont develop these skills they will take hammerings in these grades and soon fade away. We need to equip these lads to be able to compete.

Sorry Dinny your Non compete methods aren't getting much support on here. The whole grading ethos is there to ensure teams can be competitive at their level. The Gaa is built on competition and winning. When you remove the possibility of winning lads lose interest.

I may be wrong here but I think you are misinterpreting the whole thing here. All matches are competitive. People want to win but research shows that over competitive win at all costs coaching discourages kids from participating. The GAA is in a position where they need to keep people involved to help clubs survive. The best way to achieve this the evidence suggests is to ensure participating is more important than winning up to a certain age. Kids and adults play sport for the fun. Only a few can win trophies.  If winning at all costs was the most important thing then why do people bother about 5 a side , playing snooker, pool or darts. Heading out for a round of golf etc. Why do people bother playing for the club that never wins anything? Sport is about participation, friendship and recreation. At its core the GAA epitomises this.

marty34

Quote from: Throw ball on November 17, 2019, 01:00:25 AM
Dinny you've replied to my comments on why 17 year olds drop out of sport, by citing an article about an under-14 policy in a club falling down with players.

There may be come correlation here, but unless Nemo are also keeping their stronger juvenile players on board as well, and playing junior football while their old teammates  "jump ahead" of them, then it's the same situation anyhow.

You were talking about teenagers when I quoted you not specifically 17 years old. I think your attitude is wrong and symptomatic of why clubs are struggling with numbers. Unless a kid is competitive at x, y, z age he won't play adult sport to me is simply mind boggling. Since when did playing sport solely become about winning? No wonder clubs are dying on their feet.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/493869/open-letter-a-young-player-s-view.html
Very hard to keep 16/17 year olds involved if there isn't some sort of ambition of winning games and competitions

Theres a difference between being competitive and winning. If skills have been developed properly from an early age then lads should be equipped to compete at u13/15/17/19. Doesnt mean they need to be winning everything but winning has to be possible. If they dont develop these skills they will take hammerings in these grades and soon fade away. We need to equip these lads to be able to compete.

Sorry Dinny your Non compete methods aren't getting much support on here. The whole grading ethos is there to ensure teams can be competitive at their level. The Gaa is built on competition and winning. When you remove the possibility of winning lads lose interest.

I may be wrong here but I think you are misinterpreting the whole thing here. All matches are competitive. People want to win but research shows that over competitive win at all costs coaching discourages kids from participating. The GAA is in a position where they need to keep people involved to help clubs survive. The best way to achieve this the evidence suggests is to ensure participating is more important than winning up to a certain age. Kids and adults play sport for the fun. Only a few can win trophies.  If winning at all costs was the most important thing then why do people bother about 5 a side , playing snooker, pool or darts. Heading out for a round of golf etc. Why do people bother playing for the club that never wins anything? Sport is about participation, friendship and recreation. At its core the GAA epitomises this.

Try telling this to underage coaches and parents along the line...lol.

manfromdelmonte

Every club has its day eventually, at some level
Otherwise the club is just a social sporting club

lurganblue

Personally I try to win in all of these, to varying degrees of success.