Tyrone club football in crisis

Started by Orchardman, October 20, 2013, 08:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on October 21, 2013, 05:44:08 PM
Quote from: clarshack on October 21, 2013, 02:12:44 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on October 21, 2013, 01:58:48 PM
The fact that it takes a mammoth effort to get out of Tyrone aloan leaves it difficult to do well in Ulster. The flip side is that Cross can coast through Armagh in 2nd gear giving reserve players a run out and be fresh for the Ulster Club series. I would argue that Tyrone club football is in a much better place than Armagh's one horse race.

maybe i'm wrong and maybe it changed this year but do you not regularly get division 1 teams playing in the ifc in armagh with some division 2 teams playing in the sfc. surely this makes crossmaglens task a little bit easier in armagh?
You're right and wrong, it was the case for the last number of years, including this season; but as of next year the system will be pretty much the same as the Tyrone club setup. As an example, Annaghmore won the Junior, played Intermediate league and finished second, thus meaning they will be a Senior club next season.

As for EC saying Cross coast Armagh, did they also coast those 10 Ulsters/6 AI's? I'd near wager a bet now that no team in Ulster will get closer to Cross than Maghery did this year (3 points).

That won't make Maghery the second best team in Ulster ffs.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Where on earth are you getting that from?

My point is that there are teams  in Armagh that can give Cross a game. People like to pretend that Armagh is a walkover for Cross, when in reality they get as little/as much resistance in Armagh, as they do when they enter the Ulster Club. I used Maghery as an example because IMO they gave Cross a game and kept them scoreless for 20mins or so.

Milltown Row2

The fact that it takes a mammoth effort to get out of Tyrone aloan leaves it difficult to do well in Ulster. The flip side is that Cross can coast through Armagh in 2nd gear giving reserve players a run out and be fresh for the Ulster Club series. I would argue that Tyrone club football is in a much better place than Armagh's one horse race.

I'd near wager a bet now that no team in Ulster will get closer to Cross than Maghery did this year (3 points).

So its just a case of Maghery will be the best team Cross will meet this year as no other team (in your opinion) won't come close to a 3 point defeat?  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armamike

Tyrone's record in the Ulster club at senior level is weirdly poor.  A competitive club scene in their own county never did Derry clubs any harm when they hit Ulster.  Tyrone clubs never seem to get past the first round or two for some reason. Maybe a lack of real drive or ambition to go much further? 

Armagh people are as bemused as other counties by the dominance of Cross.  Other clubs haven't raised their game enough and any time they did (like Dromintee in the early to mid 2000s and Pearse Ogs at different times, Cross have responded and raised the bar even higher).  But they've dominated Ulster too for the most part since 1997 so we'll not beat ourselves up too much over it. They're just an exceptional club with unmatched focus and ambitions.  I wouldn't fancy any team in Ulster's chances against them this year again, even though they're missing 3-4 of their best players.  It might hamper them at the all-Ireland stage but probably not Ulster.
That's just, like your opinion man.

LeoMc

Quote from: screenexile on October 21, 2013, 05:25:01 PM
I think the fairer system is this: The winner of Div 1 wins the league, bottom team down, the winning team in Div 2 straight up. 4

2nd and 3rd last in Div 1 play off and the loser of that plays the winner of 2nd v 3rd of Div 2.

I think that's how it is in Derry now.
I would agree, we just put in the play off games as a cushion due to the number of games teams have to play without their best players.

armaghniac

QuoteIt might hamper them at the all-Ireland stage but probably not Ulster.

Quite, if it wasn't for Down and Derry teams Ulster would be less challenging to Cross' than the Armagh championship.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

I'd near wager a bet now that no team in Ulster will get closer to Cross than Maghery did this year (3 points).

So its just a case of Maghery will be the best team Cross will meet this year as no other team (in your opinion) won't come close to a 3 point defeat?  ;)
It's the case that Maghery gave Cross a game, had them well rattled at one stage and were within 3 points of them.

I'll be mildly surprised to see a team run them that close in Ulster. Which puts to bed this notion that Cross get a bye ball in Armagh, like the way Naomh Gall do in Antrim  ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on October 21, 2013, 10:46:43 PM

It's the case that Maghery gave Cross a game, had them well rattled at one stage and were within 3 points of them.

I'll be mildly surprised to see a team run them that close in Ulster. Which puts to bed this notion that Cross get a bye ball in Armagh, like the way Naomh Gall do in Antrim  ;)

Semi and final was only won by a point, so if we get to the final then those two teams in Antrim could have done just as well.........not!!

sensethetone

not much going on here so maybe crisis avoided.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sensethetone on October 22, 2013, 12:27:56 PM
not much going on here so maybe crisis avoided.

Till next year.

I suppose that we in Antrim would settle for a shit record in Ulster (though only ourselves and St Johns have ever played in Club finals) and have a great County team

Orchardman

Quote from: SkillfulBill on October 21, 2013, 12:02:07 AM
Get over it you tube accept the fact your county team is of a very poor standard and your neighbours have 3 all irelands. Clowns like you make a laughing stock of Armagh people.  This thread is not about the quality of club football in Tyrone but says more about the petty jealousy of the individual who started it. Boring.

Would you ever cop urself on. 3 all Ireland has nothing to do with it, it's already being mentioned by me in my opening post as I knew some clown would bring it up. Can you not just debate the actual issue here about ur lack of club success? No, didn't think so. As others have said, derry have had a much better scene than tyrone, when they had different winners every year and yet 3 or 4 of them did well in ulster so tyrone can't use that excuse.

Orchardman

Quote from: trileacman on October 21, 2013, 12:05:44 AM
Don't see the issue here really. We don't produce great club sides, we have great county minor and senior sides. They often win Ulster titles and it's a success that every gael in Tyrone can take pride in. Would I swap it for a monopoly by one team that could win an Ulster club title now and again? No chance.

So we compete poorly in senior Ulster championships. It won't keep me awake at night anyway.

Tyrone have had good county success, sure we all know that. Not the point we are talking about here. I'm simply just asking why so many of the tyrone clubs are so weak, we havn't got an answer from any tyrone person so I think we'll just leave it at that then.

Armagh not winning more all Ireland minor titles doesn't keep me awake at night either as I don't remember us partying too hard after our 2009 win.

Orchardman

Quote from: ONeill on October 20, 2013, 11:55:27 PM
They've won 3 out of the last 5 Ulster Intermediates (2 All-Irelands) and 4 out of the last 9 Juniors (1 All-Ireland, 3 runners up).

They just haven't produced a great senior side since Canavan's Errigal.

Fair enough, that was a very good errigal side

ONeill

Sure was. Probably the only side to go toe-to-toe with Cross and come out of it on the right side. Didn't get the AI they should have.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on October 22, 2013, 10:40:18 PM
Sure was. Probably the only side to go toe-to-toe with Cross and come out of it on the right side. Didn't get the AI they should have.

I don't agree with that plenty of teams have went at it with Crossmaglen over the years and beat them but they haven't backed it up though . . .

Loup, Castleblayney, Pearse Og, Enniskillen, Brigids, Kilmacud, Portlaoise, Bellaghy, Vincents.