Tyrone club football in crisis

Started by Orchardman, October 20, 2013, 08:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchardman

Quote from: hardstation on October 20, 2013, 10:27:40 PM
Still very predictable and boring though, no?

Also worth noting Tyrone teams' success at intermediate & junior.

As I've said before i'm not gonna defend the Armagh championship despite having the strongest club in the country, wer not the best and wer certainly not the worst.

Yes, tyrone do have a good record in the junior, well they did in the first few years of it anyway

ONeill

They've won 3 out of the last 5 Ulster Intermediates (2 All-Irelands) and 4 out of the last 9 Juniors (1 All-Ireland, 3 runners up).

They just haven't produced a great senior side since Canavan's Errigal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

SkillfulBill

Get over it you tube accept the fact your county team is of a very poor standard and your neighbours have 3 all irelands. Clowns like you make a laughing stock of Armagh people.  This thread is not about the quality of club football in Tyrone but says more about the petty jealousy of the individual who started it. Boring.

trileacman

Don't see the issue here really. We don't produce great club sides, we have great county minor and senior sides. They often win Ulster titles and it's a success that every gael in Tyrone can take pride in. Would I swap it for a monopoly by one team that could win an Ulster club title now and again? No chance.

So we compete poorly in senior Ulster championships. It won't keep me awake at night anyway.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Nally Stand

Soaring the dizzying heights of Stephen Nolan-esque levels of sensationalism in the thread title.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

EC Unique

The fact that it takes a mammoth effort to get out of Tyrone aloan leaves it difficult to do well in Ulster. The flip side is that Cross can coast through Armagh in 2nd gear giving reserve players a run out and be fresh for the Ulster Club series. I would argue that Tyrone club football is in a much better place than Armagh's one horse race.

clarshack

Quote from: EC Unique on October 21, 2013, 01:58:48 PM
The fact that it takes a mammoth effort to get out of Tyrone aloan leaves it difficult to do well in Ulster. The flip side is that Cross can coast through Armagh in 2nd gear giving reserve players a run out and be fresh for the Ulster Club series. I would argue that Tyrone club football is in a much better place than Armagh's one horse race.

maybe i'm wrong and maybe it changed this year but do you not regularly get division 1 teams playing in the ifc in armagh with some division 2 teams playing in the sfc. surely this makes crossmaglens task a little bit easier in armagh?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: clarshack on October 21, 2013, 02:12:44 PM

maybe i'm wrong and maybe it changed this year but do you not regularly get division 1 teams playing in the ifc in armagh with some division 2 teams playing in the sfc. surely this makes crossmaglens task a little bit easier in armagh?

Happens in Antrim, most clubs decide what Championship they would like to play in, only previous winners on JFC/JHC JHC/IHC move up to the next level and if they happen to be div 2 teams they will play senior the following season while being a div 2 team.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trileacman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 21, 2013, 02:21:22 PM

Happens in Antrim, most clubs decide what Championship they would like to play in, only previous winners on JFC/JHC JHC/IHC move up to the next level and if they happen to be div 2 teams they will play senior the following season while being a div 2 team.

Strange one that, almost every team in Tyrone consider relegation to be a calamity and whilst a championship is the big prize, promotion in any manner is the real long term goal of any club.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trileacman on October 21, 2013, 02:55:51 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 21, 2013, 02:21:22 PM

Strange one that, almost every team in Tyrone consider relegation to be a calamity and whilst a championship is the big prize, promotion in any manner is the real long term goal of any club.

I think with games going into a play off situation it does create a better finish to the year and teams in that position do tend to train right to the end, that's why we (Naomh Gall) are playing teams like Coalisland last week as they are still in the league shake up and a competitive game for us.

We had a play off thing years ago, never really took off in fairness, a lot of teams complained that they should have been promoted when they topped their league but lost out during a play off. Our seconds hurling team won two promotions that way in consecutive seasons (we were 4th each time and maybe 10 points off first place), they scrapped it the following year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fuzzman

Another strange one is in Dublin where they play a relegation championship according to wiki.

The relegation championship is the opposite of the usual format of a championship. The winner of each game leaves the competition when they lose their game, the losers go on to the next stage. The team that loses all their games will get relegated if the Dublin Intermediate champions are a non senior championship club. The relegation championship was cancelled as St. Mark's opted to be relegated and rebuild their team in the Dublin Intermediate Football Championship in 2015.

LeoMc

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 21, 2013, 03:14:42 PM
Another strange one is in Dublin where they play a relegation championship according to wiki.

The relegation championship is the opposite of the usual format of a championship. The winner of each game leaves the competition when they lose their game, the losers go on to the next stage. The team that loses all their games will get relegated if the Dublin Intermediate champions are a non senior championship club. The relegation championship was cancelled as St. Mark's opted to be relegated and rebuild their team in the Dublin Intermediate Football Championship in 2015.

I would like to see that implemented in Tyrone. It would be the flip side of the Intermediate league and championship winners the relegation winners(!) and the bottom team going down. Then 2 straight playoff's 2nd v 2nd from bottom and 3rd v 3rd from bottom.

If my memory serves and mirroring the actual draw, we would have had Omagh / Greencastle v Dromore / Donaghmore and Killyclogher / Ardboe v Derrylaughan / Cookstown
Donaghmore v Cookstown in the final with Donaghmore going down?

screenexile

I think the fairer system is this: The winner of Div 1 wins the league, bottom team down, the winning team in Div 2 straight up. 4

2nd and 3rd last in Div 1 play off and the loser of that plays the winner of 2nd v 3rd of Div 2.

I think that's how it is in Derry now.

general_lee

You're right and wrong, it was the case for the last number of years, including this season; but as of next year the system will be pretty much the same as the Tyrone club setup. As an example, Annaghmore won the Junior, played Intermediate league and finished second, thus meaning they will be a Senior club next season.

As for EC saying Cross coast Armagh, did they also coast those 10 Ulsters/6 AI's? I'd near wager a bet now that no team in Ulster will get closer to Cross than Maghery did this year (3 points).