Broadband

Started by Arthur_Friend, October 07, 2013, 04:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: laoislad on February 01, 2021, 09:34:54 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 01, 2021, 09:20:45 AM
I would say mine is never anywhere near 38mb tbh, pretty similar to your own at around 24 and we have way too many teenagers and devices on the go. I'm being totally self interested about an upgrade as I want it for Zwift (indoor interactive cycling) which is a power hungry hoor.

I found out I can get Virgin (assume cabled) as they were making a mess around here last year. There's an offer for 100mb download speeds, broadand only for £28 pm for 18mths with no set up fees.
People often complain about Virgin but I find them great. I have 500mb broadband with them.
Runs Zwift no problem but as you know with Zwift it's more about the hardware you run it on but the broadband will of course help.
My Zwift has good days & bad, my 3 year old run of the mill Laptop ain't helping, it's for an upgrade soon as well.

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 01, 2021, 09:03:32 AM
What are the real world advantages of download speeds above 38Mb in a domestic setting? My line is up to about 24Mb and since the wains have been at home we usually have 2 laptops, a PS4 and more than likely a couple of phones on the go simultaneously, with no issues.

Any 4K streaming?

imtommygunn

Quote from: bennydorano on February 01, 2021, 11:14:59 AM
I would say mine is never anywhere near 38mb tbh, pretty similar to your own at around 24 and we have way too many teenagers and devices on the go. I'm being totally self interested about an upgrade as I want it for Zwift (indoor interactive cycling) which is a power hungry hoor.

I found out I can get Virgin (assume cabled) as they were making a mess around here last year. There's an offer for 100mb download speeds, broadand only for £28 pm for 18mths with no set up fees.
People often complain about Virgin but I find them great. I have 500mb broadband with them.
Runs Zwift no problem but as you know with Zwift it's more about the hardware you run it on but the broadband will of course help.
My Zwift has good days & bad, my 3 year old run of the mill Laptop ain't helping, it's for an upgrade soon as well.

In what way? I find zwift very intensive on battery from my ipad but that is mainly bluetooth.

bennydorano

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 01, 2021, 01:34:32 PM

In what way? I find zwift very intensive on battery from my ipad but that is mainly bluetooth.
I dunno tbh, I always try and use it when the Internet is not being hogged by kids. I definitely find with Zwift if I do a race the performance is much better than a free ride round Watopia.  I've just been assuming that it must be zoned off IT wise and there's only maybe 100 odd in the race rather than the 15k knocking about Watopia??

I'm cycling in a converted garage behind a concrete wall as well come to think of it.

imtommygunn

try a speed test behind that concrete wall if you haven't and see what you get.

laoislad

I bought an Apple TV box and it works great, payed €90 for it on eBay. Have a wifi extender plugged into a socket in the shed where I use it and never get any drop outs.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Youse on these fancy smart bikes or on a turbo trainer? I could get on okay with cycling if it was indoors and I wasn't out annoying motorists like the rest of you.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 01, 2021, 05:24:07 PM
Youse on these fancy smart bikes or on a turbo trainer? I could get on okay with cycling if it was indoors and I wasn't out annoying motorists like the rest of you.
I'm on a treadmill  :D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Quote from: laoislad on February 01, 2021, 05:11:48 PM

I bought an Apple TV box and it works great, payed €90 for it on eBay. Have a wifi extender plugged into a socket in the shed where I use it and never get any drop outs.

Yeah I would imagine it's signal strength not bandwidth is the issue.

bennydorano

Switched to Virgin Broadband recently, our speeds  are now up to 100mbs, yet all the kids think its rubbish, it really doesn't seem any better than the Talk Talk we previously had with speeds of 30mbs. Can anybody offer any reason for this??

RedHand88

Quote from: bennydorano on April 05, 2021, 08:11:03 PM
Switched to Virgin Broadband recently, our speeds  are now up to 100mbs, yet all the kids think its rubbish, it really doesn't seem any better than the Talk Talk we previously had with speeds of 30mbs. Can anybody offer any reason for this??
How far are they from the router in the house?

bennydorano

It all just seems a bit poor, like downloading from Sky for example is poor and it's like 3ft from the router.

imtommygunn

Set up a mesh network- e.g. bt wholehome - if you haven't already. It helps with loads of devices contending for bandwidth.

bennydorano

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 05, 2021, 08:23:35 PM
Set up a mesh network- e.g. bt wholehome - if you haven't already. It helps with loads of devices contending for bandwidth.
Cheers, I'd say we're well into double digits for devices, and all left lying at their asses mid stream when not in use. Any non £200+ option? :)

imtommygunn

Bt whole home 3 disc is 199.99 ;D

The google nest stuff looks a bit dearer. For me I could have barely worked from home myself without never mind two of us and we have devices strewn all round the house and it has been night and day difference.

Bt has worked well for me.