LeoMc

How far is Tehran from the Iraqi bases?

johnnycool

Quote from: Hound on January 08, 2020, 02:54:18 PM
Quote from: Taylor on January 08, 2020, 12:47:24 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on January 08, 2020, 12:24:13 PM
Quote from: Taylor on January 08, 2020, 11:49:50 AM
Quote from: Hound on January 08, 2020, 11:22:16 AM
A Boeing plane crashes shortly after leaving Tehran en route to Ukraine, killing all 170+ onboard.

Is that just an extraordinary awful coincidence?

And Iran wont hand over the black box.

Definitely coincidence  :-\

Hand it over to?

Boeing
I think most countries would not trust Boeing to perform an independent assessment of why their own plane went down. An aviation authority should be doing the investigation, albeit allowing Boeing access to all the information, but not control of it.

For the Ethiopian Airlines crash, Boeing offered to do the investigation with the aid of US aviation authorities. The Ethiopians instead asked the French to lead the investigation.

Of course, the Iranians carrying out the investigation by themselves would not be satisfactory.

From reading accounts, the engine caught fire suddenly and the pilots did not radio/signal any emergencies. There could be a myriad of different reasons for the crash. My money would be on a rocket, accidentally fired by the Iranians. It would be some coincidence that a mechanical accident happened on this night of all nights (especially with no emergency broadcasts) and it doesn't make any sense that anyone would have taken this "target" out on purpose.

Allegedly the missile batteries that were firing on the US bases are near Tehran Airport.

Looking like that plane was in the flight path of a missile...

Eamonnca1

50 people killed in a crush at your man's funeral, plus the possibility that they took out a plane load of their own people by accident. Not a great way to handle things, although it seems like they targeted equipment rather than troops on the air base, so there's that. I'd be interested in hearing the behind-closed-doors discussions between Iranian and American officials. Probably trying to put on the appearance of a measured conflict while keeping diplomatic channels open in the hope that sanity is restored to the White House in November.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 08, 2020, 05:22:36 PM
50 people killed in a crush at your man's funeral, plus the possibility that they took out a plane load of their own people by accident. Not a great way to handle things, although it seems like they targeted equipment rather than troops on the air base, so there's that. I'd be interested in hearing the behind-closed-doors discussions between Iranian and American officials. Probably trying to put on the appearance of a measured conflict while keeping diplomatic channels open in the hope that sanity is restored to the White House in November.

We all know Trump is getting reelected.

Denn Forever

Who will beat hm?  How many candidates do the Dems. still have in the race?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

RedHand88

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 09, 2020, 01:11:35 PM
Who will beat hm?  How many candidates do the Dems. still have in the race?

I'd give Joe Biden a defect change. He isn't a far left nutjob like other members of his party and he plays well in the rust belt which the dems need to win back.

Main Street

Quote from: johnnycool on January 08, 2020, 04:39:05 PM
A Boeing plane crashes shortly after leaving Tehran en route to Ukraine, killing all 170+ onboard.

Hand it over to?

Boeing
I think most countries would not trust Boeing to perform an independent assessment of why their own plane went down. An aviation authority should be doing the investigation, albeit allowing Boeing access to all the information, but not control of it.

For the Ethiopian Airlines crash, Boeing offered to do the investigation with the aid of US aviation authorities. The Ethiopians instead asked the French to lead the investigation.

Of course, the Iranians carrying out the investigation by themselves would not be satisfactory.

From reading accounts, the engine caught fire suddenly and the pilots did not radio/signal any emergencies. There could be a myriad of different reasons for the crash. My money would be on a rocket, accidentally fired by the Iranians. It would be some coincidence that a mechanical accident happened on this night of all nights (especially with no emergency broadcasts) and it doesn't make any sense that anyone would have taken this "target" out on purpose.

Allegedly the missile batteries that were firing on the US bases are near Tehran Airport.

Looks like we will have to wait for the investigation to determine the cause of the crash.

Justin Bronk debunks the misslie theory. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1215226280943157249.html
no evidence to support the missile theory -  no missile plume and such a missile to do that damage would have to be quite a size.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Main Street on January 09, 2020, 01:52:19 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 08, 2020, 04:39:05 PM

Hand it over to?

Boeing

Looks like we will have to wait for the investigation to determine the cause of the crash.

Justin Bronk debunks the misslie theory. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1215226280943157249.html
no evidence to support the missile theory -  no missile plume and such a missile to do that damage would have to be quite a size.

Stop being foolish MS, it was clearly brought down by a missile!!!

Milltown Row2

As much as it looks like foul play in relation to the crash, but are these things not really accurate?

The plane was delayed by an 1 hour, surely if the government/army knew they were going to send ballistic missiles into an American base they'd have told then airport to delay flights until a certain time?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 09, 2020, 06:07:03 PM
As much as it looks like foul play in relation to the crash, but are these things not really accurate?
Foul play is not suspected, if it were a missile then something went awry.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on January 09, 2020, 08:08:09 PM

Boris Johnson has said that Iran shot down the Ukrainian passenger plane in Tehran after Western intelligence agencies concluded that the downing of the jet was most likely an accident.

US satellites reportedly picked up two surface-to-air missiles being launched shortly before the accident and US officials suspect there are missile fragments near the crash site where all 176 passenger died.

Mr Johnson said: "There is now a body of information that the flight was shot down by an Iranian Surface to Air Missile. This may well have been unintentional."

When I said foul play, I meant it may not have been engine failure
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Did one of the missiles not miss its target by 20-30 miles? Anything is possible.

Keyser soze

They are not saying that it was the type of missile fired into Iraq that went awry but one from an anti aircraft battery, these are likely computer controlled to intercept high speed aircraft/drones/missiles.

GetOverTheBar

Seems awful convenient to me that Iran has shot down a passenger plane just days after becoming the focus of the world once more lads....

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 10, 2020, 08:57:42 AM

Boris Johnson has said that Iran shot down the Ukrainian passenger plane in Tehran after Western intelligence agencies concluded that the downing of the jet was most likely an accident.

US satellites reportedly picked up two surface-to-air missiles being launched shortly before the accident and US officials suspect there are missile fragments near the crash site where all 176 passenger died.

Mr Johnson said: "There is now a body of information that the flight was shot down by an Iranian Surface to Air Missile. This may well have been unintentional."

When I said foul play, I meant it may not have been engine failure
That's fair enough  but what's with the Johnson obsession?