Mayo v Tyrone 1989

Started by ONeill, July 02, 2014, 09:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Spotted this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqEHfz3LoiQ

And it brought back some great memories including a promise from a poster on here who said he'd eat his jersey if Mayo won it.

4-3 at half time. If that happened now there'd be uproar.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mayo4Sam

Iconic WJP pictures from that game

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: ONeill on July 02, 2014, 09:18:58 AM

So tyrone were ruining football even back then.

I remember that day in the Nally, the excitement was unreal.

Looking back at some of the players on that, fair enough you wouldnt like to run into John Finn but you'd bully Kilkelly no problem, he was a wisp of a lad

WT4E

My memory of this is being convinced the night before that I was for Dublin too, to see the match with my dad and bro's and sis's.

Only wakening up to the fact that the feckers had left the youngest behind! Still traumatised! lol

The Bearded One

My first trip to Croke Park, was too young in 1986.

Can still picture the convoy of cars going down the hill through Slane and the crowds around Drumcondra. Despite the result it was some experience for a young fella.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Mayo4Sam

This is a bit an Spailpin Fanach wrote previously about the Mayo jersey, referencing the picture above

The positioning of the stripes of the jersey is by no means an accident – it goes back to the very foundation of the GAA itself, and one of the first ever recorded games of football in the county Mayo.

Colonel Maurice Blake of Towerhill was a landlord in South Mayo, and patron of his local football team, Carnacon. When Carnacon played Belcarra in 1887, Colonel Blake saw the chance to make a political point – Blake was a Catholic, and Belcarra were sponsored by a local Protestant, Unionist, family, the Brownes. In the light of this, Colonel Blake insisted that Carnacon line out in strips that featured Green above Red, in reference to Dr Croke's fear, expressed his famous letter to Michael Cusack, that if the Irish did not stand up to express their nationality, we might all just as well "clap hands for joy at the sight of the Union Jack, and place 'England's bloody red' exultantly above the green."

And that is why Mayo have always worn the green above the red, and always must, if they are to mean anything at all. Willie Joe, in the photo above, is seen wearing red above the green, but only because its his own red blood that he spilled for cause on that famous day in 1989.

LeoMc

And it brought back some great memories including a promise from a poster on here who said he'd eat his jersey if Mayo won it.

My first time in the Canal end, don't even remember the score. All I remember is we were beat.

sensethetone

Mc Kenna hit the post then got the rebound in the net is my memory, was in the Hogan remember thinking the pitch looks bigger on TV.

joemamas

Noel Durcan had some game, was a little underated and had an incredible work rate.

Oh and the final, first of eight trips back for finals from NY.

Captain Obvious

This game was Mayos first win in Croke park and first All Ireland final to reach since 1951. If only Tyrone had won the twenty five years of All Ireland final defeats could have been prevented even this year Mayo will likely reach and probably lose another All Ireland final.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 02, 2014, 03:22:41 PM
This game was Mayos first win in Croke park and first All Ireland final to reach since 1951. If only Tyrone had won the twenty five years of All Ireland final defeats could have been prevented even this year Mayo will likely reach and probably lose another All Ireland final.

Probably...but at least ye can all have a good laugh at us.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Crete Boom

Sure you can't scoff at the Dubs being over hyped now they are  fulfilling their potential as the best in the country so probably the most entertaining part left of the championship for the masses is laughing at us!!

mayo.mick

The guys at Mayo Club 51 are doing mighty work uploading old VHS match recordings of years gone by.

http://mayoclub51.com/video-gallery/

I'd say there could be some more on the way
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

moysider

Not for the last time Mayo went into the '89 championship without 2 of the best players in the county. Padraig Bomber Brogan was persona non grata and Ger Geraghty was in America. They would have mede a huge difference imo.