R2 Qualifier Tyrone v Armagh

Started by ONeill, June 28, 2014, 07:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardchieftain

Quote from: Zip Code on July 07, 2014, 02:01:16 PM
Armagh's rivalry has always been with Down, it is only those who found football in 2003 think Armagh's rivalry was with Tyrone.

Rubbish. Depends what part of the County you live in, where you went to school etc.

SuperHo

nah plunkett runnin 2 mile to score a goal in 94  :)

Club Rossa

Highs for me were beating them in the 2005 semi final,the 2003 final and McGuigans 11 points in 84.

Lows were Irvinestown in 87 and the 05 Ulster final replay.

T Fearon

While it was sweet to beat Tyrone on our way to Sam in 2002, and snatch the Anglo Celt from their red Mits in 2005, neither compares to the five goals in the Ulster semi final in 1987 in Irvinestown (could you imagine an ulster semi final being staged in such a venue nowadays) which sent Tyrone packing and abruptly shattered  their ridiculous illusion to return to Croke Park to collect the Sam they'd left behind the previous season! ;D

Club Rossa

To be fair Tony I don't think many Tyrone fans expected to get back to the final especially after struggling badly against Antrim in our first game.That said,none of us could see a 12 point thumping coming against Armagh either.

omagh_gael

From memory I recall Mugsy looking a lot like Butch Dingle from Emmerdale when he scored that goal in 2001. Hai bleach wasn't around then, simpler times.

red hander

Quote from: T Fearon on July 07, 2014, 06:49:15 PM
While it was sweet to beat Tyrone on our way to Sam in 2002, and snatch the Anglo Celt from their red Mits in 2005, neither compares to the five goals in the Ulster semi final in 1987 in Irvinestown (could you imagine an ulster semi final being staged in such a venue nowadays) which sent Tyrone packing and abruptly shattered  their ridiculous illusion to return to Croke Park to collect the Sam they'd left behind the previous season! ;D

Yeah, must feel even better than beating your neighbour in the All-Ireland final, then beating them in the semi-final two years later on your way to Sam again

inroundthesquare

Cormac Reilly is the ref on Sunday

Zip Code

Quote from: ONeill on July 07, 2014, 04:51:52 PM
It's only now I can appreciate the Armagh games. Hated them at the time.

Hard to think which one was the most enjoyable. Maybe the McKenna Cup game in Casement when 90'000 turned up on a snowy January day.

Best memory - the '05 semi.
Worst memory - the '02 replay defeat

The '05 Ulster final defeat didn't bother me that much as you still thought Tyrone could win the AI.

Other memories - the Mugsy goal after about 10 seconds in '01. The NFL game in 2003 in Omagh. The drawn final in '05 when O'Neill tormented Bellew but the cuteness of McConville and McDonnell kept Armagh in it.

I think this is the 250th time you have said that on here since 2005 - my best memory was the 2002.  I always thought it was sweet especially the teams we beat to win the All-Ireland but as this message board grew and some of the bitter wee men from Tyrone signed up with the invention of football in 2003, it has become all the more sweeter as they really do resent, no matter what they say, that we won it before them.  It is great that it hurts them that much, yeah yeah 3 All-Irelands, cheated Armagh in 2003 and continue to ply your cheating trade, the whole country now sees you for what you are, now dry them.  ;D

Zip Code

Quote from: ardchieftain on July 07, 2014, 05:31:16 PM
Armagh's rivalry has always been with Down, it is only those who found football in 2003 think Armagh's rivalry was with Tyrone.

Rubbish. Depends what part of the County you live in, where you went to school etc.

Or what age you are.  ;)

rrhf

Quote from: Zip Code on July 07, 2014, 08:51:54 PM

Hard to think which one was the most enjoyable. Maybe the McKenna Cup game in Casement when 90'000 turned up on a snowy January day.

The '05 Ulster final defeat didn't bother me that much as you still thought Tyrone could win the AI.

Other memories - the Mugsy goal after about 10 seconds in '01. The NFL game in 2003 in Omagh. The drawn final in '05 when O'Neill tormented Bellew but the cuteness of McConville and McDonnell kept Armagh in it.

I think this is the 250th time you have said that on here since 2005 - my best memory was the 2002.  I always thought it was sweet especially the teams we beat to win the All-Ireland but as this message board grew and some of the bitter wee men from Tyrone signed up with the invention of football in 2003, it has become all the more sweeter as they really do resent, no matter what they say, that we won it before them.  It is great that it hurts them that much, yeah yeah 3 All-Irelands, cheated Armagh in 2003 and continue to ply your cheating trade, the whole country now sees you for what you are, now dry them.  ;D
God damn it...
In order of sweetness
03 and putting football back on the map
05 semi and righting one of footballs greatest wrongs
89 and taking out the Lynch mob
84 and the Mc Guigan.. Whilst the Armagh men gouled "are yes not gonna hit that fcuker.." couldnt get near the King.
Canavan's Mc Kenna cup final: Armagh won that day in 91 but we just knew that we had the greatest 20 year old in the history of the game. A10 point haul that had the hardest Armagh fans cooing in envy.... it was wee Peters second game that day.   It was to be the sign of things to come. 

Worst:
and its a festival here for Armagh.... Shane Skelton and co put Irvinestown on the map. 
The big Diver. 91 and a horrible dive ends Colm Donaghys Dream comeback.  He gets the line for an off the ball dive by was it Mc Quillan?  Game ends in farce as a 40 yard Raymond Munroe Goal gets disqualified as Mc Alinden didnt see it coming..
Ulster final 05.  As painful as it was, we felt revenge would be instant and gratifying... and so it was..
The 02 draw.  Only for big Richie dropping his contact lens,that single page in history may never have been written..

Orior

Quote from: ardchieftain on July 07, 2014, 05:31:16 PM

For my neck of the woods, its always been Down.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

red hander

You're deluded, kid. Face it, when it really counted, just like Kerry, you couldn't beat us, and that's what galls the buckfast brigade.
Favourite moment? So many against a county that has become our bitch, but honourable mention to big Sean's shoulder on the boul Francie in the 2005 semi-final.

BennyHarp

I'd much prefer three all Ireland's to one.
That was never a square ball!!

sensethetone

I liked the winning point againist Armagh in 05, mugsy's face as he's tellin Canavan "I don't mind.. I don't mind". If Mc Keever had been a Tyrone defender then and gave away a penatly and the match winning score, his ears would still be warm from people talking about him.