Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

It is very early for predictions etc, but things are quiet so we may as well keep it going.

Basically I think people are too quick to state "it is time for the old boys to retire" and speak of rebuilding. McGrane was one of our best performers this year and, in my view, AOR was also. Bellew was doing well until one, unusual, mistake got the axes out from sone.

This season will be similar, those waiting in the wings are not as good as the old heads. Whats the options? A clear-out and give these boys Championship experience, or pursue with the older, better players and see what happens. Personally, experience is not an attribute and talent is so option two would be my pick.

Of course that is a very general, sweeping statement to say that the older players are better than the new blood. Toner was obviosuly a find this season and Donaghy was impressive when introduced. O'Rourke jnr and Tony Kernan should also be battling hard for a starting slot while the midfield emergence of Lavery, McKenna and ONeill will be interesting. Finn Mo nailed down a slot thanks to the league, most of these will get a chance and it all depends on who performs.

People are making out we were poor last year - we weren't. The usual mixed league campaign was followed by two easy wins, a collaps, a recovery and then Wexford. Armagh were grinding out the result against a half-decent Wexford side as they have done this last nine years. As with Monaghan 03, Fermanagh 04, Donegal and Derry 07 and Wexford, they got caught out. If Francie deals with the ball, we are in the semi-final.

Tactics have also come under a lot of fire. They were nearly spot on for me. As I have stated, the only thing wrong was deploying two defencsive half-backs (MOR and Vernon) was wrong, only one was needed - MOR. I would like to see Vernon and AK swapped. It would give us a better defensive and offensive impetus.

goh4205

Quote from: corn02 on November 10, 2008, 04:14:38 PM
Not taking it as anti-Dromintee Win and you raise valid points. Maybe I have blue-tinted specs on, but I thought Aidan was one of our better players last year and I think he is well capable of another good Championship - his league form will be interesting.

His pace is akin to Geezers - both great readers of the game - pace not essential. For me, Aidan had a specific role this year and done it very well. Tactics may have made him look weak, but I didn't see that.
Corn, that's the very point, the tactics were setup for Aidan to play that role & it still didn't work. like winsam said, it's not a personal attack on a great player & a good fella as well, but just stating points which may make the armagh side more adapable to play faster teams.  as i said before it's ok for NL, but not for championship.

corn02

Fair enough GOH, point taken and a certain degree of truth in there, but I don't know if we can say they were set up to suit Aidan. The reading of the game and passing is obviosuly two of his sstrongest attributes and McDonnell tried to create space for him to do that - which he done very well. If we go 6-2-6 we will go backwards in my eyes. We don't have six shooters and the blanket defence has been our trademark for years. For me, tweaks needed, no major overhaul.

illdecide

Lads what do you make of this North Armagh cup thingie...where the townies play the culchies. I know it's for charity so it shouldn't be dismissed but would you like something similar for you're area (this wouldn't work in south armagh as they are all culchies ;)) but i'm sure with not much to do this time of year unless your Cross it would be a bit of craic. The teams are in todays Irish News although i'm not sure why the Ballyhegan lads are in as they moved to Mid Armagh a few years ago...

P.S. i think Winsam and Fullback are going to be good friends... :P oh and Corn too... :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

winsamsoon

easy you!!!!!

We have always been good mates it was just club loyalities that got in the way ;) :D
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: illdecide on November 11, 2008, 10:11:16 AM
Lads what do you make of this North Armagh cup thingie...where the townies play the culchies. I know it's for charity so it shouldn't be dismissed but would you like something similar for you're area (this wouldn't work in south armagh as they are all culchies ;)) but i'm sure with not much to do this time of year unless your Cross it would be a bit of craic. The teams are in todays Irish News although i'm not sure why the Ballyhegan lads are in as they moved to Mid Armagh a few years ago...

P.S. i think Winsam and Fullback are going to be good friends... :P oh and Corn too... :D

have to say I think its a cracker idea...though i think the country team will win as they will probably have more county players to chose from. Only downside is that the lurgan mail/portadown times are organising it, which is surprising considering the pitiful amount of gaa coverage the mail usually gives. also i suspect its a bit of a PR stunt but since it's for charity I wont go down that avenue (yet).

illdecide

Good man win... ;D

i think it's a good idea also but i have to agree with you on the Lurgan liar and Portydown spoof, WTF would they know about and that Eugene Creaney one picking the players. If you read his articles you'd know he hasn't a clue but i suppose for charity we'll keep quiet this time...I'm raging he didn't pick me >:(

fitzroyalty

Gene Creaney and his fantasy GAA... ::)

nrico2006

Just wondering if the clubs around Lurgan all have reserve sides and if so which would be most flexible with regards to training as I have a few other commitments.

Thanks.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

illdecide

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 11, 2008, 05:02:32 PM
Just wondering if the clubs around Lurgan all have reserve sides and if so which would be most flexible with regards to training as I have a few other commitments.

Thanks.

clans have a "B Team" and they have never trained in their lives...

lurganblue

i gave up on that site long before the stevie mcdonell thread happened. nothing but kids who think everyone who puts on the orange jersey is a "legend" and shouldnt be criticised at all. fcuk that

under the bar

With a bit of luck the bandwagonners who jumped onto the ship from 1999-2006 will jump off again and leave the discussion to the real fans.

lurganblue

Quote from: illdecide on November 11, 2008, 05:17:07 PM

Thanks.

its hard enough to get 15 for a game never mind do any training. you managing next year illdecide?

bennydorano

Queens are playing DCU in the Athletic Grounds tonight @ 7.30pm. 

illdecide

Quote from: lurganblue on November 12, 2008, 09:34:50 AM
Quote from: illdecide on November 11, 2008, 05:17:07 PM

Thanks.

its hard enough to get 15 for a game never mind do any training. you managing next year illdecide?

Lucky for you lot "No"