Laochra Gael TG4 (New Series)

Started by an pĂșca, April 14, 2010, 09:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I was expecting a lot more about Harte but there wasn't much. I thought cavanagh was maybe the kind of person who would use something like this show to get some airtime for his grievances but was pleasantly surprised to see he didn't really.

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2021, 09:11:43 AM
Quote from: Angelo on April 24, 2021, 10:55:30 PM
Quote from: Rich Ricci on April 24, 2021, 10:36:28 PM
Awk I don't maybe it's a slight bias because he's one of my favourite players over the years but has any half back been as dominant in the position as he has been over the years? Keegan, McCaffrey, Lacey and McGeeney maybe but for me he was in the best in the last 20 years.

5 All-Ireland's, 5 All stars and a POTY award. 3-35 or thereabouts isn't bad going for a half back. Pound for pound I dont think there's many players who have achieved as much or performed as well in their position as he has in his.

The problem for Kerry is that those 5 All Irelands that were won were

2 against ordinary enough Mayo teams
2 against a very big and athletic Cork team who stumbled over the line v Down in 2011.

When it came to the big battles against Armagh, Tyrone, Dublin, Donegal they struggled to come out on top. Kerry's most impressive wins in the past 20 years for me would be Armagh in 06 (I think?) and Donegal in 2014.

By virtue of the construct of the Championship, Kerry were parachuted into the business end of the Championship every August. They didn't have to be throwing lads carrying niggles out for crunch games back in May like Armagh, Tyrone and Donegal had to.

Pre-Dublin dominance era the back door was a trail of banana skins. The only time Kerry had to come through the early stages of the back door was when they won it in 09 but they had some iffy enough performances along the line. Stumbled past Longford and Antrim and Sligo really should have put them out below in Kerry when they missed a late penalty with minutes left.

Tyrone had a number of scares through the backdoor. They were in serious bother against Westmeath in 08 before Westmeath imploded and had 2 players sent off in the second half. Mayo know full well on how dangerous the qualifier path can be in recent years. Cork, Derry, Fermanagh and Armagh all nearly had them out and Kildare managed it. I think they have bore the cost of that with the injuries they absorbed in recent years.

That's something Kerry historically have not really had to concern themselves with.

Not going through the back door is the best way and usually the best teams come through the front door.

Kerry are not at fault of Cork and the other Munster teams don't perform.

But Kerry do benefit from it and have benefitted from it. Year on year they have had the luxury of a safe passage through to the last 8 by virtue of the imbalanced provincial structure.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

quit yo jibbajabba

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on April 25, 2021, 12:53:38 PM
Awk I don't maybe it's a slight bias because he's one of my favourite players over the years but has any half back been as dominant in the position as he has been over the years? Keegan, McCaffrey, Lacey and McGeeney maybe but for me he was in the best in the last 20 years.

5 All-Ireland's, 5 All stars and a POTY award. 3-35 or thereabouts isn't bad going for a half back. Pound for pound I dont think there's many players who have achieved as much or performed as well in their position as he has in his.

2 against a very big and athletic Cork team who stumbled over the line v Down in 2011.

When it came to the big battles against Armagh, Tyrone, Dublin, Donegal they struggled to come out on top. Kerry's most impressive wins in the past 20 years for me would be Armagh in 06 (I think?) and Donegal in 2014.

By virtue of the construct of the Championship, Kerry were parachuted into the business end of the Championship every August. They didn't have to be throwing lads carrying niggles out for crunch games back in May like Armagh, Tyrone and Donegal had to.

Pre-Dublin dominance era the back door was a trail of banana skins. The only time Kerry had to come through the early stages of the back door was when they won it in 09 but they had some iffy enough performances along the line. Stumbled past Longford and Antrim and Sligo really should have put them out below in Kerry when they missed a late penalty with minutes left.

Tyrone had a number of scares through the backdoor. They were in serious bother against Westmeath in 08 before Westmeath imploded and had 2 players sent off in the second half. Mayo know full well on how dangerous the qualifier path can be in recent years. Cork, Derry, Fermanagh and Armagh all nearly had them out and Kildare managed it. I think they have bore the cost of that with the injuries they absorbed in recent years.

That's something Kerry historically have not really had to concern themselves with.

Not going through the back door is the best way and usually the best teams come through the front door.

But Kerry do benefit from it and have benefitted from it. Year on year they have had the luxury of a safe passage through to the last 8 by virtue of the imbalanced provincial structure.

It's the systems fault not Kerry's, it's Clare's, Waterford, Tipp, Cork and Limerick fault for concentrating on a better sport.

Take away the provincial tournaments and Kerry will still beat Ulster teams 9 outta 10 times
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

6th sam

Agreed , Nobody's blaming Kerry, it's the system.
What's your rational for your last statement , When all things are levelled up in the latter stages of the All-ireland Kerry have never beaten Down. Armagh Tyrone Donegal have all beaten them in championship football, and ulster teams often beat Kerry in NFL, yet you reckon Kerry will beat Ulster teams 9 out of 10?

Though they are unfair, there  are very strong argument for maintaining the provincial championships and a link to the All-ireland series, but it's also possible to reward nfl performance ( more level playing field) in AI campaign .

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2021, 01:30:27 PM
Quote from: Angelo on April 25, 2021, 12:53:38 PM

It's the systems fault not Kerry's, it's Clare's, Waterford, Tipp, Cork and Limerick fault for concentrating on a better sport.

Take away the provincial tournaments and Kerry will still beat Ulster teams 9 outta 10 times

I didn't say it was Kerry's fault, but the system did benefit them.

In the 02-12 alone Kerry lost  knockout 6 championship games to Ulster teams 3 against Tyrone and one each against Down, Donegal and Armagh.

So with respect, you are talking out of your arse.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 6th sam on April 25, 2021, 06:15:54 PM
What's your rational for your last statement , When all things are levelled up in the latter stages of the All-ireland Kerry have never beaten Down. Armagh Tyrone Donegal have all beaten them in championship football, and ulster teams often beat Kerry in NFL, yet you reckon Kerry will beat Ulster teams 9 out of 10?

Though they are unfair, there  are very strong argument for maintaining the provincial championships and a link to the All-ireland series, but it's also possible to reward nfl performance ( more level playing field) in AI campaign .

This current Kerry team will beat Ulster teams 9 times out of ten. In my view. They (again my view) are the only team capable of beating Dublin at the minute.

The Sam Maguire should only be between the top two divisions, the rest need to either up their ante or play at a level that suits their standards. Hurling has shown the way for a while now. Time football caught up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2021, 10:11:46 PM

This current Kerry team will beat Ulster teams 9 times out of ten. In my view. They (again my view) are the only team capable of beating Dublin at the minute.

The Sam Maguire should only be between the top two divisions, the rest need to either up their ante or play at a level that suits their standards. Hurling has shown the way for a while now. Time football caught up

Aye but you're one of those Kerry fanboys from counties that don't feature at the business end of the season.

I don't think Kerry beat Tyrone or Donegal 9 times out of 10. I think they are all on a very similar level.

BennyCake

The top 16? What chance have the likes of Div 2 Clare or Down got? The top division 1 teams can't even compete with Dublin. Sure we all may as well have our own championship without Dublin

Gold

Cavanagh was an absolutely unbelievable footballer.

His engine and 100mph running was incredible.  Took so many balls on the burst at 100mph and more often than not did the right thing. He must have scored more fisted points than anyone in history too

I've no problem with him knowing how good he was and wanting to be the one to really lead the charge in a final...as he did in 08.

People talk about him diving but he was running at unreal speed and being knocked over..l.dont think many appreciate his speed

He literally led that Tyrone team from no age...was obviously a different footballer than o Neill or Canavan but he was that important that without Cavanagh I don't think Tyrone would have any all ireland
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on April 25, 2021, 10:30:09 PM

Aye but you're one of those Kerry fanboys from counties that don't feature at the business end of the season.

I don't think Kerry beat Tyrone or Donegal 9 times out of 10. I think they are all on a very similar level.

I'm not into football like you, hurling is the sport, football is just rubbish

ONeill

When you're talking about the best footballers we've produced in Tyrone in the last 50 years, a few stand out for having that bit extra:

Frank McGuigan
Peter Canavan
Sean Cavanagh

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on April 26, 2021, 12:08:53 AM
When you're talking about the best footballers we've produced in Tyrone in the last 50 years, a few stand out for having that bit extra:

Frank McGuigan
Peter Canavan
Sean Cavanagh

Stevie O'Neill was something above the average also, on a par I suppose with Mulligan and Doher, though slightly below your 3. Big Donaghy stood out also, maybe it was that game I seen him at Casement that sticks with me.

imtommygunn

I think Dooher actually deserves to be talked about when talking about those boys too. He changed the definition of a wing half forward entirely in the county game IMO. Also he hit some inspirational scores - that one against Kerry in (I think) 05 was phenomenal.

When you think back to that Tyrone team that won in 03, 05 and 08 you think they maybe couldn't have done it without Cavanagh but then you think some more and you think well they couldn't have done it without Dooher or without O'Neill or without Jordan, Gormley, Ricey etc. Really they had a very strong spread of players. Cavanagh would have been the leader in 08 anyway - not quite as much earlier.

RedHand88

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2021, 09:10:52 AM
I think Dooher actually deserves to be talked about when talking about those boys too. He changed the definition of a wing half forward entirely in the county game IMO. Also he hit some inspirational scores - that one against Kerry in (I think) 05 was phenomenal.

When you think back to that Tyrone team that won in 03, 05 and 08 you think they maybe couldn't have done it without Cavanagh but then you think some more and you think well they couldn't have done it without Dooher or without O'Neill or without Jordan, Gormley, Ricey etc. Really they had a very strong spread of players. Cavanagh would have been the leader in 08 anyway - not quite as much earlier.

2008, what a point. You'll struggle to see a better one in an all ireland final.