Paul Grimley - Statement to Armagh fans

Started by ranch, May 23, 2013, 12:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 24, 2013, 10:07:10 AM
Quote from: ck on May 24, 2013, 08:46:36 AM
Speaking to a county board official last night from Sligo and he hit the nail on the head
"What we wouldn't do to have players like they have in Armagh, but I wouldn't be queing up for their lunatic manager"

I'd say if I was looking for some insightful football analysis - the first person I would seek out is an official from the Sligo county board.

Is this the same County Board that pulled up in a transit to dispense with the services of Mickey Moran?
Correct me if im wrong, did they not "hire" that well known eccentric John Morrison also ?

Although there was a bit of banter initially, moreso as a result of the inter county rivalary over the recent years, rather than the personalities involved, some of it has been way over the top.

Although over the long term he may not survive it ( purely as a resul of where Armagh are at the minute in development), its become a barrell shoot where too many are  at it.

I never thought i would say it, but i would like to see armagh going on a wee bit of a run now. ( im away for a wash after that)

Keyser soze

Quote from: ck on May 23, 2013, 09:54:38 PM
My first thought when I read that statement was disbelief, which was quickly followed by sympathy.
The grammar and spelling strikes me as a statement written without much thought in a desperate bid to rise above all of the criticism. I can only assume that his actions followed a rough players meeting where he has decided to absorb all of the blame in an effort to keep a frustrated dressing room?

Ill say it again. Armagh county board are a joke. There is a generation of good Armagh footballers passing through Armagh underachieving year after year, with managers who are clearly out of their depth.

Who are these players that you think should be winning Ulsters and contesting All-Ireland Finals [which is what I think you mean by underachieving] I accept that Aaron Kernan and Jamie Clarke are at the very top echelon of footballers so no need to make a case for those two.

mackers

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 24, 2013, 08:56:30 AM
I think a lot of Armagh fans have to get real with their expectations. Football didnt begin around 2002! Perhaps like Derry post 93 you are reverting back to middle of the pile in Ulster!
No harm to you Walter but that sort of chat sickens my hole.  Believe me when I say that any Armagh fans I know have "got real" a long time ago (approx 2009).  Where on the thread that discussed how we felt our counties would do did you see any Armagh fans talking about Ulster titles or the like?  On one of the post match threads on here (there have been a few) a Cavan poster was highly insulted that the fact that Armagh posters took great offense at being beaten by lowly Cavan.  That is simply not true.  Armagh posters were annoyed at how their manager and team performed on Sunday, the result was a by-product of that.
At this point Armagh people aren't looking for titles, we want to see some sort of improvement in our performances, Sunday most definitely did not see that.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Main Street

Quote from: T Fearon on May 24, 2013, 07:04:34 AM
Seafoid,what pains Armagh supporters is not the fact that we are no longer at the top table,but an under performing team bedevilled by naive tactics,and a failure by the Management and County Board to acknowledge much less address these issues.
The naivety of the players in defence should also pain you. They're not up to the standard.

Dont Matter

'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Main Street

What was the post-mortem like for Armagh (in their prime) when they were knocked out of the UC in the preliminary round by Monaghan in 2003?
I suppose a confession from Joe Kernan was kept under wraps, while awaiting a spell and grammar investigation.

T Fearon

That 2003 defeat was a mere blip, a one off and we all knew it. Sunday alas was but the latest in a long line of inept performances in league and Championship, and against arguably the weakest team we've faced in the Ulster Championship since, well, the last time we faced Cavan, back in 2008.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: T Fearon on May 24, 2013, 04:07:22 PM
That 2003 defeat was a mere blip, a one off and we all knew it. Sunday alas was but the latest in a long line of inept performances in league and Championship, and against arguably the weakest team we've faced in the Ulster Championship since, well, the last time we faced Cavan, back in 2008.

a 13-1 blip, from what i remember
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2013, 09:25:07 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 23, 2013, 06:44:50 PM
I must say I find this severe bashing of a man who is obviously a committed GAA man and merely trying his best, which no one disputes, very distasteful. I hope he doesn't take it too personally.
This kind of anti manager post traumatic loss bandwagon  would not be unknown in mayo , surely . The post longford  2010 catharsis is still on the board somewhere .

Does that make it right somehow?

And I was never part of any severe bashing of a Mayo manager. In fact I recall criticising your own county for their shabby treatment of Liam Sammon.
MWWSI 2017

NaomhBridAbú

The whole thing has turned personal and has gotten to the depths where even Mayo and Sligo fans are chipping in.
Shocking, so it is
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on May 24, 2013, 04:36:18 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2013, 09:25:07 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 23, 2013, 06:44:50 PM
I must say I find this severe bashing of a man who is obviously a committed GAA man and merely trying his best, which no one disputes, very distasteful. I hope he doesn't take it too personally.
This kind of anti manager post traumatic loss bandwagon  would not be unknown in mayo , surely . The post longford  2010 catharsis is still on the board somewhere .

Does that make it right somehow?

And I was never part of any severe bashing of a Mayo manager. In fact I recall criticising your own county for their shabby treatment of Liam Sammon.
No, muppet. It is not ideal. And you are not the type who does that sort of thing. But people get very upset about losing matches and managers can get an awful lot of abuse . Failure doesn't go down very well.
I don't think it will ever be rid of.

And Liam Sammon did quite well relatively speaking ...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 24, 2013, 11:01:08 AM
Quote from: ck on May 23, 2013, 09:54:38 PM
My first thought when I read that statement was disbelief, which was quickly followed by sympathy.
The grammar and spelling strikes me as a statement written without much thought in a desperate bid to rise above all of the criticism. I can only assume that his actions followed a rough players meeting where he has decided to absorb all of the blame in an effort to keep a frustrated dressing room?

Ill say it again. Armagh county board are a joke. There is a generation of good Armagh footballers passing through Armagh underachieving year after year, with managers who are clearly out of their depth.

Who are these players that you think should be winning Ulsters and contesting All-Ireland Finals [which is what I think you mean by underachieving] I accept that Aaron Kernan and Jamie Clarke are at the very top echelon of footballers so no need to make a case for those two.

I don't consider failing to reach an All Ireland final underachieving. I do consider losing our last 4 championship matches and winning 3 of our last 16 in League and Championship to be underachieving however.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Itchy

Quote from: mackers on May 24, 2013, 11:17:57 AM
I think a lot of Armagh fans have to get real with their expectations. Football didnt begin around 2002! Perhaps like Derry post 93 you are reverting back to middle of the pile in Ulster!
No harm to you Walter but that sort of chat sickens my hole.  Believe me when I say that any Armagh fans I know have "got real" a long time ago (approx 2009).  Where on the thread that discussed how we felt our counties would do did you see any Armagh fans talking about Ulster titles or the like?  On one of the post match threads on here (there have been a few) a Cavan poster was highly insulted that the fact that Armagh posters took great offense at being beaten by lowly Cavan.  That is simply not true.  Armagh posters were annoyed at how their manager and team performed on Sunday, the result was a by-product of that.
At this point Armagh people aren't looking for titles, we want to see some sort of improvement in our performances, Sunday most definitely did not see that.

Mackers, read some of Tony Fearons posts. While you might not be insulting to us, Tony and his ilk are. From where I am sitting Armagh have 2/3 top players and quite a few average ones. They did play a very clever game either but tactics is not the be all and end all. Cavan may not have any superstar players but I do think we have, on average, better footballers than Armagh but very inexperienced ones. So in summary I think the two teams are at a similar level so the result should not be a huge shock to anyone.

EC Unique

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on May 24, 2013, 04:26:21 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on May 24, 2013, 04:07:22 PM

a 13-1 blip, from what i remember

Few pound made by the orange men that weekend! :-X

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on May 25, 2013, 09:50:18 AM
Quote from: mackers on May 24, 2013, 11:17:57 AM

Mackers, read some of Tony Fearons posts. While you might not be insulting to us, Tony and his ilk are. From where I am sitting Armagh have 2/3 top players and quite a few average ones. They did play a very clever game either but tactics is not the be all and end all. Cavan may not have any superstar players but I do think we have, on average, better footballers than Armagh but very inexperienced ones. So in summary I think the two teams are at a similar level so the result should not be a huge shock to anyone.
And Armagh haven't been winning ulster u21s like Cavan have recently. A bit of respect for Cavan wouldn't go amiss.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU