Down's greatest ever player?

Started by downboy2011, December 08, 2011, 10:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

You'll never get agreement in terms of footballing skill but for sheer balls and audacity the players of the 1960 all Ireland team set the template for the teams  that followed.  The impact of a team from the occupied 6 going to Dublin and beating Kerry in an all Ireland- ni bheidh a leithéid aris ann.

The first Sams for Derry, Armagh and (finally) Tyrone were all magical  but Down were the trailblazers.
It is hard to imagine Mickey Harte emerging in the 00s if Ulster had stayed in the pre 1960 state when only Cavan won anything.   

I wonder as well what sort of an impact 1960 had on the consciousness of nationalists up North.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ballela-angel

I wonder as well what sort of an impact 1960 had on the consciousness of nationalists up North

In my opinion, the impact was massive, and that, coupled with the education of Catholics was the Genesis of the Civil Rights Movement - Both led Catholics to believe for the first time in a generation that they were as Irish as anyone in the South and deserved to be treated fairly by a "Protestant parliament for a protestant people"
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

seafoid

Quote from: ballela-angel on November 23, 2012, 05:59:21 PM
I wonder as well what sort of an impact 1960 had on the consciousness of nationalists up North

In my opinion, the impact was massive, and that, coupled with the education of Catholics was the Genesis of the Civil Rights Movement - Both led Catholics to believe for the first time in a generation that they were as Irish as anyone in the South and deserved to be treated fairly by a "Protestant parliament for a protestant people"
Is there anywhere to read a bit more on that?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ballela-angel

Is there anywhere to read a bit more on that?
The influence of an educated Catholic population on the Civil Rights movement has been mentioned in many publications and I suspect a search of the Internet will find many references - The influence of the Down win has been mentioned in a few publications, but  I have never seen any in-depth discussion of it - If you can find any, I'd like to read them - I can tell you that at least two of the Civil Rights leaders in South Down/South Armagh, Sean Hollywood and Paddy O'Hanlon have both told me that Down's win in '60 and '61 greatly influenced their self-esteem as regards being Irish  - I can also tell a story about Breen Morgan (left full forward on the Down '60 and '61 teams) that he told me he would not have done before winning 2 All-Irelands - Breen grew up in Annaclone and "courted" and later married a girl from Dromore - As a result he was often on the road between the two places and one night he was stopped close to his Annaclone home by the B-Specials - Despite having been in the media from the 2 wins, the Specials did not recognise him and Breen had no identification with him - So Breen was told that he would have to accompanied by one of the Specials and brought to a police sation to be identified so he opted for Katebridge where he was well known and not too far out of his way to Dromore - So Breen headed off with the Special as a passenger in his vehicle with him to be identified in Katesbridge - Breen was immediately recognised in the police station there and was told he could leave and get on his way - When he was getting into his vehicle to leave for Dromore the Special went to get into the passenger seat thinking that Breen would take him back to Annaclone - Breen told him to make his own f***ing way back the 10 miles or so to Annaclone, but that Breen wasn't taking him - Sounds like a small thing now after all these years and the many events that have passed, but in those days, early '60s, that was a big act of defiance and took a lot of courage to defy the rule of the B Specials
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

Leo

Maybe not Down's greatest ever player, but "the Spirit of Breen Morgan"!!
Fierce tame altogether

RedBlackPurpleGold

Best GoalKeeper- Neil Collins
Best Defender- Paddy O'Rouke in the 80's
Best Midfielder- Colm McAlarney
Best Forward- Greg Blaney
Next best, Mickey McVeigh, Paul Higgins, Greg McCartan, Mickey Linden, Wee James McCartan, Benny Coulter and Barry Breen
I didnt see the 60's team.

Leo

Fierce tame altogether

RedBlackPurpleGold

Quote from: Leo on December 21, 2011, 02:38:15 AM
But you can't discuss the best ever Down player without mentioning a McCartan  - and the best McCartan ever was Greg Blaney (which is why he never played for Armagh).

Greg Blaney is not a McCartan though John,Jim and Mickey McCartans mother was a Blaney

Bridgeman12