Mullaghbrack GFC Versus The GAA.

Started by stew, September 30, 2017, 02:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

I was talking to an old friend that used to play for Mullaghbrack GFC which sadly folded years ago, the Ladies have a team and they play at their lovely wee ground just outside Markethill, he claims the GAA are trying to claim the property as their own as the club no longer exists, when the ladies are mentioned he tells me the line from HQ is simply the the ladies team is not part of the equation, that vexes me as they just had 48,000 plus at the ladies senior final and had no problem taking the kesh!

I have no idea if their claim has any validity but it appears that there is going to be a legal battle over this situation, has anyone any idea how things work when clubs fold pertaining to their assets etc? In the case I am talking about the community owned the property outright however received some funding from the GAA.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Syferus

The GAA generally shies away from funding community-owned grounds. They left Ballymote GAA's pitch in an awful state because the club didn't own it.

T Fearon

Surely if the GAA owns it,it would be better than anyone else.There were far too many rural clubs in a radius of seven miles to be sustainable,Mullabrack,Clady,Lisummon,and Poyntzpass O'Hanlons

Syferus

Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2017, 05:16:24 PM
Surely if the GAA owns it,it would be better than anyone else.There were far too many rural clubs in a radius of seven miles to be sustainable,Mullabrack,Clady,Lisummon,and Poyntzpass O'Hanlons

Stop trying so hard to get a reaction.

Itchy

The gaa didn't "get the cash". The ladies has is a separate entity to the gaa by their own choice. They have their own rules and own committee. Example last yr all Ireland they declined the use of Hawkeye which cost Dublin the all Ireland.  I'm not saying this action isn't small minded but I hate this shite talk of the big bad gaa grabing money of everyone.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: stew on September 30, 2017, 02:19:54 PM
I was talking to an old friend that used to play for Mullaghbrack GFC which sadly folded years ago, the Ladies have a team and they play at their lovely wee ground just outside Markethill, he claims the GAA are trying to claim the property as their own as the club no longer exists, when the ladies are mentioned he tells me the line from HQ is simply the the ladies team is not part of the equation, that vexes me as they just had 48,000 plus at the ladies senior final and had no problem taking the kesh!

I have no idea if their claim has any validity but it appears that there is going to be a legal battle over this situation, has anyone any idea how things work when clubs fold pertaining to their assets etc? In the case I am talking about the community owned the property outright however received some funding from the GAA.

Every piece of land or property will have title deeds which name the owner or owners who may be individuals or another legal entity such as a company or titled trust.  Additionally, the ownership of the property will have been listed by the Land Registry.  Therefore, it will be fairly straightforward to find the last listed owner or owners of the land.  However, a bank or other financial body may have a mortgage on the property which allows it to take ownership with a view to recovering any outstanding debt. Not sure if the GAA constitutes such a body when it provides financial aid to a club.

Not sure that the 'community' can own the property as it can only be assigned in the deeds of ownership to a specific legal entity. 

armaghniac

I suspect the GAA generally seek vesting in the GAA when funds are provided, in order to avoid a situation where someone runs off with the property. The Ladies GAA is a separate association, does it own pitches? The GAA might be willing to vest it in the Ladies GAA for a nominal fee.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: armaghniac on September 30, 2017, 11:25:42 PM
I suspect the GAA generally seek vesting in the GAA when funds are provided, in order to avoid a situation where someone runs off with the property. The Ladies GAA is a separate association, does it own pitches? The GAA might be willing to vest it in the Ladies GAA for a nominal fee.
I don't think any pitches are vested in the ladies GFA
if a community does the majority of the fundraising, despite getting a small GAA grant then the pitch should belong to the community not the GAA, if that is the wishes of the clubs.
then again, community pitches can access a lot of funding that GAA pitches cannot

general_lee

Surely Mullabrack club still exists? Just doesn't field a men's team anymore? http://www.mullabrackgfc.com

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

punt kick

Rossfan

Must you start off your day calling other posters abusive names.
Whatever issues you have that cause you to continue to post in an aggressive manner need attention.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2017, 05:16:24 PM
Have to agree with him on the first point.
Careful now

stew

Quote from: Rossfan on October 01, 2017, 10:06:15 AM
Armagh section please.

Wise up man, I am looking for answers the lads around the country might be better informed to help me with, I am not going after the GAA either, I was just looking for clarification.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: stew on October 01, 2017, 11:58:33 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 01, 2017, 10:06:15 AM
Armagh section please.

Wise up man, I am looking for answers the lads around the country might be better informed to help me with, I am not going after the GAA either, I was just looking for clarification.

There are plenty of clubs around the country in the same trouble with difficulties in fielding a team due to population shifts, urbanisation, the lack of work in rural areas.  Just look where local primary schools in the countryside are close to closing the doors or have been shut down and you see the beginning of the end for the football club.  Then Mullaghbrack's problem becomes national.  St James' PS school is gone, Catholics living in Markethill down to single figures, depopulation of the countryside and young people left to seek work and a living elsewhere.  Sound familiar?