Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: Zulu on May 11, 2012, 01:02:30 AM
Please stop talking bollocks. I've no agenda here, I simply want to see honest hard football with players showing respect for the game. There now is diving where before it was almost unheard of and it isn't so long ago that when players squared up the last thing anyone wanted to be seen to do was go down, now it's the first thing many players do. It's about time we started calling players out for this shite irrespective of the colour of the jersey, unfortunately you're not willing to do it.
Im up for all of that but I found equally as unmanly Joe Sheridans goal in the Leinster final and subsequent denial of the facts aadd in Martin O Connell standing on peoples heads when they were lieing prostrate on the ground with their back to him, unmanliness has no heirarchy of perpertrators, accurate defination of offense, nor does it stop at county boundaries.  It has been a problem affecting the GAA since Spillane took the first recorded dive on national TV in an all ireland final V roscommon.

Puckoon

Great line in that clip O'Neill. "Enda McGinley, the minister without portfolio".

Zulu

Quote from: rrhf on May 11, 2012, 02:16:44 PM
Please stop talking bollocks. I've no agenda here, I simply want to see honest hard football with players showing respect for the game. There now is diving where before it was almost unheard of and it isn't so long ago that when players squared up the last thing anyone wanted to be seen to do was go down, now it's the first thing many players do. It's about time we started calling players out for this shite irrespective of the colour of the jersey, unfortunately you're not willing to do it.
Im up for all of that but I found equally as unmanly Joe Sheridans goal in the Leinster final and subsequent denial of the facts aadd in Martin O Connell standing on peoples heads when they were lieing prostrate on the ground with their back to him, unmanliness has no heirarchy of perpertrators, accurate defination of offense, nor does it stop at county boundaries.  It has been a problem affecting the GAA since Spillane took the first recorded dive on national TV in an all ireland final V roscommon.

My point exactly!! Look, I've done things on a football field that I'm not proud of and I took a dive once when I was struck from behind with a closed fist. The guy didn't connect properly and our coach had drilled it into us not to get involved in any fighting as that's what our opponents wanted so I went down rather than strike back but the reality is I could easily have stayed on my feet, as could Peter in that clip.

There is no high moral ground here and it isn't a case of certain players or certain counties doing it, though some are more prone to it than others, the issue is the game itself. Lets call a spade a spade when diving and exaggerating injuries occur regardless of who does it. As we can see from this thread many lads are unwilling to call out their own, until that happens the great game of football will drift evermore towards the BS that infects soccer.

The only time you should hit the turf is when you can't physically stand up and players holding their faces when clearly not struck there with any force should be banned. It's only when your own won't defend you that players will cop on a bit.

ONeill

Quote from: Zulu on May 11, 2012, 05:55:00 PM

There is no high moral ground here and it isn't a case of certain players or certain counties doing it, though some are more prone to it than others, the issue is the game itself. Lets call a spade a spade when diving and exaggerating injuries occur regardless of who does it. As we can see from this thread many lads are unwilling to call out their own, until that happens the great game of football will drift evermore towards the BS that infects soccer.

Nearly threw up in my mouth there. FFS we're discussing one incident. I'm saying that incident definitely wasn't a dive. No one is exonerating diving.

Quoteplayers holding their faces when clearly not struck there with any force should be banned. 

Could you draw up a force metre?

A tap + hold face = red card
A slap + hold face = yellow card
A punch + hold face = OK
A kick + hold face = All Star

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: rrhf on May 10, 2012, 02:38:43 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 10, 2012, 01:57:41 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 10, 2012, 01:20:35 PM
Quote from: sheamy on May 10, 2012, 11:51:15 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on May 07, 2012, 08:50:30 PM
Can anyone post the Irish Mail story? Cheers.

Seen it in Gaelic Life today...sum craic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwmErywscOc

Thats not a dive. If anything, its a free out, and if there was gonna be a card it should be to Canavan, but he didnt dive, he just tried to hit mccarthy and came off worse. Cavanagh, now thats different...

Jesus you wouldn't see that kind of denial in a John Grisham novel..
I remember that game and that incident, After some more hauling by Kerry Canavan went in to try and take the quick free and inadvertently ran into the man in his desperation to get back Tyrones advantage. .  He was bursted right open and needed to leave the field for stitches, and some forehead bandaging,  so the lad was hurt and went down hurt as you are entitled to do surely to be fair.  But in fairness to the big lad he didnt know as much about it as Gerry Kenneavy felt he did, and when you put it into the context of the day the Kerry tactics that day included:
1) stopping quick free kicks
2) hauling them down at every opportunity. 
3) Thumping their own manager. 
Twas an angry Kerry shower that came up to Croke Park, that day the only thing that sized up to their snarling misplaced aggression was the length of the tail between their legs as they traipsed onto the Killarney express that evening, and gathered silently onboard wondering what excuses/spin could they create for such a complete footballing annihilation.

I'm not a regular here, but you seem to have quite the chip on the shoulder when it comes to Kerry for some reason?
Wherever you're from, to try to twist the facts on the 2003 semi final to imply that Kerry were the team employing cycnical tactics is fantasy of the highest order. Tyrone's tactics weren't pretty, but when you're trying to win your 1st AI then its understanable, in hindsight at least. Kerry were shit anyway that day and had gone off the boil under Paidi.
On the Canavan dive: It was disgusting, and anyone defending it is being delusional. Not just the intent to get McCarthy sent off or carded, but the rolling around with his hands on his face which is clearly visible in that clip...sickening. Incidents like that and O'Mahony's dive in 2008 would make you ashamed watching them and really should be punished harshly by refs.

The antidote to all of this "puke" of course was the 2005 final which was a great game deservedly won by Tyrone...playing great football without resorting to any underhand stuff.

"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

cadhlancian

YOU are the one talking Bollocks Zulu! Very simple, Canavan was coming for a sly dig ( hardly a blind side punch or a headbutt from the side??), and as ONeill rightly pointed out , he paid the price for it ( i.e karma). You didnt see the blood because you choose not to, and yes...........you do have an agenda...the more you speak on here, the worst it becomes !!

ONeill

QuoteOn the Canavan dive: It was disgusting, and anyone defending it is being delusional. Not just the intent to get McCarthy sent off or carded, but the rolling around with his hands on his face which is clearly visible in that clip...sickening. Incidents like that and O'Mahony's dive in 2008 would make you ashamed watching them and really should be punished harshly by refs.

I find it remarkable that you can watch the clip again and still say that. Maybe I am going mad. You just have to watch his feet, the movement and the afters.

Canavan was on the edge that day. He was banging into players right left and centre in those opening moments. A few seconds before that he gave another Kerry player a similar junt. He left the pitch soon after, going over on his ankle when prancing like a march hare. Even in that clip with McCarthy he nearly went over on it.

seafoid

It's a pity when the county people of an offending player go all partisan. The Meath lads and Joe Sheridan and now Throne and St Peter.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ONeill

Quote from: seafoid on May 11, 2012, 10:20:59 PM
It's a pity when the county people of an offending player go all partisan. The Meath lads and Joe Sheridan and now Throne and St Peter.

Again, Peter is no saint. The man has skeletons. In this case, he didn't dive. What about the non-Tyronites who didn't think it was a dive? Is that a pity too?

Zulu

Quote from: ONeill on May 11, 2012, 09:42:11 PM

Nearly threw up in my mouth there. FFS we're discussing one incident. I'm saying that incident definitely wasn't a dive. No one is exonerating diving.

Quoteplayers holding their faces when clearly not struck there with any force should be banned. 

A punch + hold face = OK

We're not discussing just one incident, it's indicative of a trend and when you (and others)try to defend the indefensible we need to start worrying about where the game is headed. You clearly couldn't give two fucks though.

On your rather idiotic question, a simple bit of cop on by authorities would answer it.

Zulu

Quote from: cadhlancian on May 11, 2012, 10:03:09 PM
YOU are the one talking Bollocks Zulu! Very simple, Canavan was coming for a sly dig ( hardly a blind side punch or a headbutt from the side??), and as ONeill rightly pointed out , he paid the price for it ( i.e karma). You didnt see the blood because you choose not to, and yes...........you do have an agenda...the more you speak on here, the worst it becomes !!

I didn't see it because I chose not to and I have an agenda, are a mind reader or something?? I didn't see any blood and I couldn't care less if there was as he still didn't need to go down holding his face. And what is my agenda?? Please answer this as it should be good.

This is reaching farcical levels with lads trying to defend this. The game will go down the swanny if some of you lads are in the majority with that view.

ONeill

Quote from: Zulu on May 11, 2012, 10:37:31 PM
Quote from: ONeill on May 11, 2012, 09:42:11 PM

A punch + hold face = OK

We're not discussing just one incident, it's indicative of a trend and when you (and others)try to defend the indefensible we need to start worrying about where the game is headed. You clearly couldn't give two f**ks though.

On your rather idiotic question, a simple bit of cop on by authorities would answer it.

We are discussing one incident. Well, I am. From 9 years ago. Instead you've misunderstood the posts and decided to get on a soapbox about issues that the entire country agree with, i.e. a rather pointless contribution.

Zulu

Look, if you're defending that then you're defending all diving. I can only presume the colour of the jersey is colouring your view of the incident which is an all too common problem. Anyone who thinks peter's actions after the connection were justified is either a Tyrone man or nuts.

ONeill

Fair enough. We'll never agree on that. (nuts)

Wildweasel74

Its a good job the old meath team of the late 80`s aint playing in this era, they wouldnt have missed u, probably would never have finished a game with a full 15 giving the amount of men lying down after running into Mick lyons, and co, were they dirty, maybe but i loved watching them play, hard and on the edge but if u gave them a sly dig at least you knew they wouldnt lie down and try get you sent off, liley would have cut you in two going for the next ball though, played football for 15yrs and it was only through the early 00`s that a manager would be telling players to lie down if remotley touched, the older guys, myself included refused to do this ending up with get beneched in the process. Player think now its ok to dive its built in from underage up and is coached into teams. Just look back at different eras and how many players did you see lying down trying to get players sent off, it didnt happen, the same people trying to justify divinga re the same people watching soccer thinking its ok when ashley young dives etc, People love Barca in the soccer as a great footballing team, outside messi i have no time for them as a stiff breeze would blow over half their team, soccer mentality has became engrained in gaelic for quitea while, how many rugby players go down playacting, cant remember to many, so instead of people giving excuses for their teams diving, it be better condemning it, i have no time for any of my own county players were at it