American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 25, 2017, 01:48:49 PM
Yeah lads. f**k off out of here with the Trump stuff. This is one of the few threads I still enjoy in here. And just because he makes a tit of himself, and has been embarrassed by what the players responded with, there's no need to pollute this thread.

+1

Gabriel_Hurl

Aaron Judge just broke the rookie home run record with his 49th and 50th dingers of the season today

gawa316

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 25, 2017, 09:27:49 PM
Aaron Judge just broke the rookie home run record with his 49th and 50th dingers of the season today

Fresno State Bulldog Born and Bulldog Bred!

dec

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 25, 2017, 09:27:49 PM

I hope he is doing it without the help that McGwire, Sosa and Bonds had.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2017, 03:55:45 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 25, 2017, 01:48:49 PM
Yeah lads. f**k off out of here with the Trump stuff. This is one of the few threads I still enjoy in here. And just because he makes a tit of himself, and has been embarrassed by what the players responded with, there's no need to pollute this thread.

And then offer your opinion on said Mr Trump a few posts later.

I brought it up as it was clearly the biggest news item in US Sports over the weekend.

I was talking about the subsequent posts that were about to go down the route of the other thread.

gallsman

Gabriel_Hurl

Dwayne Wade reunited with LeBron - not bad for a team in a city full of losers  ;)

foxcommander

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 26, 2017, 10:40:56 PM
Dwayne Wade reunited with LeBron - not bad for a team in a city full of losers  ;)

Do you live there too?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

stew

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 26, 2017, 10:40:56 PM

Dwayne Wade was past it five years ago and will add little to nothing bar star power to a team that is as far away from winning a championship as Tyrone are, this is a poor signing from a city full of poor signings.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

magpie seanie

rory

Found this interesting:

Did you know this?
Aug 14, 2016- Colin Kaepernick sits for the national anthem.....and no one noticed
Aug 20th, 2016- Colin again sits, and again, no one noticed.
Aug 26th, 2016- Colin sits and this time he is met with a level of vitriol unseen against an athlete. Even the future President of the United States took shots at him while on the campaign trail. Colin went on to explain his protest had NOTHING to with the military, but he felt it hard to stand for a flag that didn't treat people of color fairly.
Then on on Aug 30th, 2016 Nate Boyer, a former Army Green Beret turned NFL long snapper, penned an open letter to Colin in the Army Times. In it he expressed how Colin's sitting affected him.
Then a strange thing happened. Colin was able to do what most Americans to date have not...
He listened.
In his letter Mr. Boyer writes:
"I'm not judging you for standing up for what you believe in. It's your inalienable right. What you are doing takes a lot of courage, and I'd be lying if I said I knew what it was like to walk around in your shoes. I've never had to deal with prejudice because of the color of my skin, and for me to say I can relate to what you've gone through is as ignorant as someone who's never been in a combat zone telling me they understand what it's like to go to war. Even though my initial reaction to your protest was one of anger, I'm trying to listen to what you're saying and why you're doing it." Mr. Boyer goes on to write "There are already plenty people fighting fire with fire, and it's just not helping anyone or anything. So I'm just going to keep listening, with an open mind. I look forward to the day you're inspired to once again stand during our national anthem. I'll be standing right there next to you."
Empathy and understanding was shown by Mr. Boyer.........and Mr. Kaepernick reciprocated. Colin invited Nate to San Diego where the two had a 90 minute discussion and Nate proposed Colin kneel instead of sit.
But why kneel? In a military funeral, after the flag is taken off the casket of the fallen military member, it is smartly folded 13 times and then presented to the parents, spouse or child of the fallen member by a fellow service member while KNEELING.
The two decided that kneeling for the flag would symbolize his reverence for those that paid the ultimate sacrifice while still allowing Colin to peacefully protest the injustices he saw.
Empathy, not zealotry under the guise of patriotism, is the only way meaningful discussion can be had. Mr. Kaepernick listened to all of you that say he disrespects the military and extended an olive branch to find a peace.
When will America listen to him?

The Iceman

the anthem isn't playing though while they are kneeling. A military vet or active will never kneel during the anthem... it's become something much more now and it's taking away from sports. there will be nothing left soon...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Trump doesn't give two f**ks whether some athletes kneel or sit through the anthem.

As with most of the rest of his "platform", it's a means to an end. Push the buttons of what he identified early as a "base" he could exploit, and they'll rally around and elect him and, later, excuse his complete lack of command of policy and legislative accomplishments.

Any ordinary president would have been focused over the past few days on Puerto Rico and raising public support for rebuilding the island. Trump instead, whether due to the failure, once again, to repeal Obamacare, or whatever he felt necessitated distracting the public (Russia, emails...), once again doubled down on stirring up his base and causing a press firestorm.

J70

That is a good piece on Kaepernick though.

One wonders just what form of protest would be acceptable to the 55year old white people all over the news burning their jerseys on the backyard grill?

Any type where they don't have to see or hear it, I presume?