Big Brother is watching us...

Started by Boycey, September 22, 2016, 03:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

I updated my phone to the latest operating system the other night (IoS). This morning I noticed as I left the house it was offering to calculate a route to work for me, I clicked and sure enough it offered me a route right to the front door of my business. I'm pretty sure I've not got anything on my phone or social media that links me to the address. It knows where "home" is too but I've never actually told it..

I guess I've always known that we're being tracked but i'd say with social media and all the apps on our phones now the information we're passing on, sometimes unwittingly, is staggering.

No wides

It is staggering that it took you to 22/09/2016 to work this out.

muppet

Quote from: Boycey on September 22, 2016, 03:13:37 PM
I updated my phone to the latest operating system the other night (IoS). This morning I noticed as I left the house it was offering to calculate a route to work for me, I clicked and sure enough it offered me a route right to the front door of my business. I'm pretty sure I've not got anything on my phone or social media that links me to the address. It knows where "home" is too but I've never actually told it..

I guess I've always known that we're being tracked but i'd say with social media and all the apps on our phones now the information we're passing on, sometimes unwittingly, is staggering.

Updated mine to iOS 10 and that didn't happen.

Do you have Frequent Locations on?

Settings>Privacy>Location Services(scroll to bottom)>System Services(Scroll Down)>Frequent Locations(On/Off?)
MWWSI 2017

balladmaker

IOS makes a best guess as to where your home is i.e. the place you spend most time at night ... and where your work is i.e. the place you spend most weekdays at ... and that's the assumption it makes.

Boycey

Quote from: No wides on September 22, 2016, 03:18:41 PM

Its also staggering that as of 22/09/2016 you can't read properly.

CiKe

Quote from: Boycey on September 22, 2016, 03:54:06 PM
Quote from: No wides on September 22, 2016, 03:18:41 PM

Its also staggering that as of 22/09/2016 you can't read properly.
\

;D

Boycey

Quote from: muppet on September 22, 2016, 03:42:34 PM

Settings>Privacy>Location Services(scroll to bottom)>System Services(Scroll Down)>Frequent Locations(On/Off?)

Yes frequent locations was on, I'd usually be careful to leave stuff like that off it must have switched on during update. For all the phone knows I could be spending all day in Boylesports and at night shacking up with Mrs O'Reilly at number 98 :-). 

The main thrust of my point is though that the information available on people now must be unreal. Every app we download is just a tool to get our profile to pass on to potential suitors...

No wides

Quote from: Boycey on September 22, 2016, 04:15:14 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 22, 2016, 03:42:34 PM

Yes frequent locations was on, I'd usually be careful to leave stuff like that off it must have switched on during update. For all the phone knows I could be spending all day in Boylesports and at night shacking up with Mrs O'Reilly at number 98 :-). 

The main thrust of my point is though that the information available on people now must be unreal. Every app we download is just a tool to get our profile to pass on to potential suitors...

I think the main thrust is that you must be in your late 50's or just very naive about technology.  ;)

AZOffaly

I would have said the main thrust was into Mrs O'Reilly in 98.

TabClear

imtommygunn

There's a show on channel 4 where people get money to "escape" I haven't actually watched it and can't remember the name but see it advertised. I think it kind of illustrates that more or less everything we do is tracked. The challenge is to do nothing where you get tracked.

You make a bank transaction - they know where you are. You own a mobile phone then people know which cell you are in give or take some degree of accuracy. You do something on an internet account and there's a fair chance you can be, reasonably, isolated. Just look through amazon etc and see what it thinks you like.

Also your emails in your work can potentially be read through etc etc.

big brother is definitely watching!!