The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: laoislad on September 11, 2017, 12:40:58 PM
Where's all the outrage for Matt Ritchie's high tackle yesterday.. .oh yeah he doesn't play for Liverpool so the obsessed who pollute this thread with nonsense don't care.

Anyway onto Wedneday night. Big performance needed.
Anfield will be rocking. I expect Coutinho to start.

I see poor aul Danny Ings came off injured in an U/23 game yesterday. The fella has no luck.

Of course Coutinho will start, he is a world class footballer who is being paid a fortune to play for a club he does not want to play for, I expect him to be sub par and I hope the fans give him stick for his complete lack of loyalty after signing a lucrative long term deal.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hound

Not sure. Might leave him on the bench and wait for Saturday to get his first start.
I think Sturridge has been a little unlucky with his lack of pitch time, as he's been looking quite sharp. Would expect him to start v Burnley too.

J70

It was a definite red card, even if Mane was going for the ball and didn't set out to hurt the keeper (very brave keeper mind you!).

I think the bigger issue, obviously, is the shocking defending. Even before Mane went off, and despite the game being fairly even, City just sliced them apart with the quick touches through the middle. No protection whatsoever from midfield once any ball was turned over.

And Salah, impressive as he has been, is still very poor when he gets through on the right hand side (which he has been doing in all games this season). Always hitting a tired effort right at the keeper, instead of slipping in it at the back post or just putting the foot through it.

TabClear

Quote from: J70 on September 11, 2017, 03:31:19 PM
It was a definite red card, even if Mane was going for the ball and didn't set out to hurt the keeper (very brave keeper mind you!).

I think the bigger issue, obviously, is the shocking defending. Even before Mane went off, and despite the game being fairly even, City just sliced them apart with the quick touches through the middle. No protection whatsoever from midfield once any ball was turned over.

And Salah, impressive as he has been, is still very poor when he gets through on the right hand side (which he has been doing in all games this season). Always hitting a tired effort right at the keeper, instead of slipping in it at the back post or just putting the foot through it.

Agreed Salah does seem to be a poor finisher. I wonder if he might not be better on the left where he can generate more power when put through.

City were really slick but the gaps between the centre halves was crazy at times, you do question changing your centre half pairing against probably the most skillful team in the league. He may not be the longterm answer but at least Lovren and Matip had been used to playing together this season rather than throwing Klavan in.

tiempo

Quote from: stew on September 11, 2017, 12:44:22 PM
Where's all the outrage for Matt Ritchie's high tackle yesterday.. .oh yeah he doesn't play for Liverpool so the obsessed who pollute this thread with nonsense don't care.

I see poor aul Danny Ings came off injured in an U/23 game yesterday. The fella has no luck.

Of course Coutinho will start, he is a world class footballer who is being paid a fortune to play for a club he does not want to play for, I expect him to be sub par and I hope the fans give him stick for his complete lack of loyalty after signing a lucrative long term deal.

Small point of order. Yes if Coutinho played for someone else he could be considered a world class footballer but because he plays for Liverpool Football Club he considered a world class football player.

Dire Ear

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41232863
Sadio Mane: Liverpool to appeal........and rightly so, surely it'll come down to intent?

TabClear

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 12, 2017, 10:41:07 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41232863
Sadio Mane: Liverpool to appeal........and rightly so, surely it'll come down to intent?

Dont want to reopen this debate but I do not think intent comes into this one by the way the rule is phrased. A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play. A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play

Cant really argue that Mane endangered the safety of the opponent so would not expect Liverpool to win this one.

Edit: Just read the report and I see they are appealing the duration of the ban rather than the card itself. Again, I'm not sure they will win as intent is such a hard thing to prove and they will not want to set a precedent on this for other more clear cut red. Unfortunately I think Liverpool have to suck it up and move on and the players who play in the interim perform to such a level that it gives Klopp a problem when the ban is over (yes I mean you Phillipe!)

AZOffaly

In fairness it's unlucky because I'm sure he was trying to play the ball, but at the end of the day it's reckless and it is a red card. If a lad pulled his hurley in a reckless manner, and clocked a lad on the head, even though he was swinging for the ball, he'd get a red too.

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 12, 2017, 11:17:37 AM
In fairness it's unlucky because I'm sure he was trying to play the ball, but at the end of the day it's reckless and it is a red card. If a lad pulled his hurley in a reckless manner, and clocked a lad on the head, even though he was swinging for the ball, he'd get a red too.

That's it in a nutshell really..

gawa316

Plus even if he'd a won the ball it would've been a free out to citee. Saying that I hope it's reduced!

Wasn't Nani sent off for something similar and I don't even think he made contact?

Boycey

Quote from: gawa316 on September 12, 2017, 01:35:13 PM

Plus even if he'd a won the ball it would've been a free out to citee. Saying that I hope it's reduced!

Wasn't Nani sent off for something similar and I don't even think he made contact?

Nani against Real? Caught your man in the midriff, only slight difference was that Nani possibly wasn't aware he was even there. Don't remember much sympathy for Nani on here either from opposing fans..

gawa316

Quote from: Boycey on September 12, 2017, 01:44:40 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on September 12, 2017, 01:35:13 PM

Nani against Real? Caught your man in the midriff, only slight difference was that Nani possibly wasn't aware he was even there. Don't remember much sympathy for Nani on here either from opposing fans..

Oh yeah that was it... Yeah he hadn't a clue where the opposition player was but it was deemed dangerous play regardless.

I didn't let on here but I sent a sympathy card to Nani after that and the time Caragher made him cry..,p***k never responded!

Boycey

;D

A lot of Utd fans never forgave him for crying at Anfield..

Gabriel_Hurl

Nani did make contact - and to tie a bow on that story - it was Arbeloa he "tackled"

StGallsGAA

I'd be surprised if it gets rescinded or even reduced. It would send out the message that it's OK to go for the ball studs up when an opponents head is there. Accident or not if someone gets seriously injured next time then the FA has encouraged it.